How would you solve the Nick Diaz issue?

Offer him fights at his current pay rate.  If he refuses, then let him stay retired.  Not worth the hassle.

Are we seriously talking about paying a guy who makes $200,000 a fight MORE money?? A guy who makes more than most doctors and lawyers? And I remember when people used to get upset about the wages of entertainers...

Did he not sign a contract to make that salary? Did he not read the contract before signing? Since when should the business world give a shit about a change of heart?

Maybe I'll have a change of heart about paying my student loans (a contract) or my mortgage (a contract)...maybe I'll have a change of heart about my electric bill (a contract) and then point fingers at the man when my family is sitting in the dark.

I mean, if those guys aren't willing to renegotiate they're evil, right? They're billion dollar industries, they can afford to break me off something, right? Phone Post 3.0

How about a 'headliner' bonus for main event fighters?

Put the Diaz Bros in main events and compensate them accordingly. This would also be advantageous for every main fighter and would give everyone on the roster something to shoot for. Phone Post 3.0

TFK_SickEye - How about a 'headliner' bonus for main event fighters?

Put the Diaz Bros in main events and compensate them accordingly. This would also be advantageous for every main fighter and would give everyone on the roster something to shoot for. Phone Post 3.0
I like this, but not as a strategy to keep the Diaz boys happy. Main event status being rewarded is good but by no means should Zuffa feel forced to put either fighter in a main event for fear they may pout. Phone Post 3.0

The real problem is like other posts have said I don't see Dana backing down Gilbert's deal must have really pissed these guys off. Its a pity so many good fights for these guys that the fans would like to see. Phone Post 3.0

VanCity_KO - They dont want to fight. Clearly they are not willing to put in the work necessary to get where they want to. They dont want to fight, lets talk about people who do. Cerrone wants to fight, that motherfucker would fight once a week and be happy he is getting paid to do so. Nick, hasnt won in three years and demands a title shot or $500k. Why are we entertaining this fucking nonsense. Their teammate Gil got paid cuz he played his cards right, called the UFC's bluff and it paid off. Nate signs the dotted line and then cries. Fuck off, seriously. Over it. Phone Post 3.0
VU for the first great response, although I did like the build yourself up like Chael does, market yourself, do the business end of things! Don't whine on twitter and complain your team mates make more money than you.

The Diaz brothers need to fuck off... Dana is handling it just fine! (Never thought I would ever say that!).

I would call each Diaz brother up for every card and offer them a fight, when they refuse fine them at least their show money, for however many fights are left on their contract then dump them. Honor you're fucking contracts! Phone Post 3.0

I have to say, I'm surprised at the amount of factual knowledge displayed here. Don't get me wrong, the amount of ignorance and just stupidity is astounding. The amount of ignorance is literally overwhelming.

I'm just glad to see the amount of MMA fans who do get it. We get it because we live in the real world. Forget back room bonuses, forget sponsorship and money from that. All that stuff aside, Nick Diaz earns at least 10x what I do every year. Even so, my life is very good. Phone Post 3.0

Pay them or release them. To everyone saying they didn't keep their word, neither did Dana. He said he'd never do to Alvarez what Bellator was doing.

They aren't happy employees, either give a raise or release them.

They can throw fights, hold chokes/armbars too long, punch after the bell, and put other fighters at risk because they are being forced to fight disgruntled. Bad fucking business if something happens and the media gets it was a response to Dana refusing to release them and let them have a career.

Raise or release. Phone Post

Honestly Diaz bros are at a major disadvantage due to time. In time there will be a new Cali Badass, Hell not to long ago anyone from Hunington Beach was consider Hard, now its Stockton and tomorrow it will be someone else. Dana knows this and is perfectly fine shelving both of them. They aren't hurting Dana's pocket in the least by not fighting next Xmas he will have his drive way covered in snow again. When you negotiate in any business you don't negotiate from a point of weakness. You will never get what you want that way. UFC wont be letting them out of their contracts to fight elsewhere so the best thing they can do is bite down on their mouthpieces and fight. Get some wins then negotiate from stronger position when time to re-up on their contracts comes. One thing none of us have is Time to waste bullshitting.

Imagine how fast UFC would pay Nick if his contract was up and he was on a winning streak, and if they didn't how fast Bellator would scoop him up, Hell If nick teamed up with goldenboy promos and did a payperview with him vs a serious contender that shit would sell. Right now he has the name and the ability to make shit happen. Keep this shit and even the UG will be talking about someone else soon enough

I'd sign him to a new contract that is 250,000 for the first fight then he wins get gets title shot and 500,000 dollar check and if he loses he can fight at 150,000- 250,000, if he wants to keep fighting. Phone Post 3.0

I´d ignore him just like DFW does...

IIAces - 
Sastan -
PrettyBoy - 
Feelz Good -
NakedCowboyOnMyRear -

Pay him. It's not like those cheap fucks can't afford it. and it's not even about paying Nick, it's about the precedent it will set.

Sorry, I should've clarified, I was looking for ideas from realistic people. Fitch was cut after one loss, Nick's riding a two fight losing streak. I'm sure it will take you a while, but try doing the math. Phone Post 3.0
Nike is 10x the draw fitch and shields are. You can check the numbers on the last few PPV events that featured Nick.

He is worth more than 500k. You put Diaz in a rematch with Lawler or give him a title shot you are getting at least 500k buys at 60 a pop.

You do the math Phone Post 3.0

500k x $60 = $30 million buckaroonies!

So we have 500,000 people who pay $60 just to see Nick Diaz fight each time (beating PPVs for Randy Couture and Chuck Liddell fighting each other), and the UFC being cheap bastards, no doubt stiff the PPV broadcasters of their 40% cut, and the venue owners, event management staff, insurance companies etc either provide their services for free, or are stiffed by that asshole DFW...it's almost pure profit for the UFC!

Fucking cheap bastards! If Mayweather gets paid $40,000,000 by his own promotion, Nick and Nate Diaz deserve at least as much.

PAY THE FIGHTERS DANA YOU CHEAP MOTHERFUCKER!

Y'all are dumb. The have to give 50% the the cable/satellite providers per buy. You act like Zuffa keeps all $60. They don't. Plus they have a few million invested in every single event, between advertising, hotel(pressers and fight), flight(pressers and fights), vendors, rental facility, and all production cost.

In a standard business how much profit do you think there is off the gross income? Or have you not gotten that far in High school to figure that out? Phone Post 3.0

DANA WHITE KEEPS ALL THE MONEY AND THROWS IT ON HOOKER AND BLOW.

FUCK OFF UFC SHILL

JoeHurley - 

Would you guys also give raises and title shots to the 500+ other fighters that would see this and decide to pull the same move and sit out until they all got the same thing too?  Or does Nick just get the special treatment?

Why don't you all try this at work today.  Call in and tell them you are not showing up until you get a raise that is more than double what you make and see how well it works for you.

I know we're all fight fans, but this idol worship and putting fighters up on pedestals is getting ridiculous.

i agree with the first part and setting a precedent.

i dont agree with the second part. you can't argue that this guy doesn't bring in a ton of money for the ufc. if are valuable enough to your company to demand a raise, you'd be a fool not to ask for one.

another option, ufc could sell the contract to another fight company.

koston -
JoeHurley - 

Would you guys also give raises and title shots to the 500+ other fighters that would see this and decide to pull the same move and sit out until they all got the same thing too?  Or does Nick just get the special treatment?

Why don't you all try this at work today.  Call in and tell them you are not showing up until you get a raise that is more than double what you make and see how well it works for you.

I know we're all fight fans, but this idol worship and putting fighters up on pedestals is getting ridiculous.

i agree with the first part and setting a precedent.

i dont agree with the second part. you can't argue that this guy doesn't bring in a ton of money for the ufc. if are valuable enough to your company to demand a raise, you'd be a fool not to ask for one.

another option, ufc could sell the contract to another fight company.

There is a difference between asking for a raise and saying you are retired unless you get paid twice as much when you are already under contract from the last raise you got in your previous fight, but that is a matter of personal choice. Im just saying theres a better way to go about this, but thats my opinion.

Are you telling me that this is how you would go about asking for a raise and that it would be fine at your job? You wouldn't get fired for no showing work by saying you are staying home until you get double your pay?

Nothing wrong with asking for a raise just like there is nothing wrong with your boss turning it down but for some reason over emotional fans have to act like there are greedy villains and shit on both sides for just doing business. Phone Post 3.0

Jambo888 - 

give him a deal based on how good he sells. I'd love to see him fight brown

There you go.  Someone thinking.  I am a huge Diaz and Brown fan.  This will sell.  Tell Nick he gets $1 per PPV bought. Nothing guaranteed above and beyond that.  If he wants 500k, then he better start selling.  I would love to see this fight.  Dont think I could pick a person to cheer for though.  Just happy cause it would be a war.

When the promoter controls matchmaking, rank, and you are exclusive--it is never just business.

I would do exactly what Dana is doing, the guy doesn't deserve any sort of pay increase unless he starts winning fights, or even fighting! Ufc aren't losing anything Diaz not fighting the only person losing money is Diaz ! Phone Post 3.0

Give him 500k to fight brown. Winner gets a title shot. Phone Post 3.0

The problem is everyone will come out of the woodwork if they do this for Nick.

Nick Diaz vs Chael Sonnen and give em 500k each. Phone Post 3.0