If I could freeze/ban trolls?

Im not one of the people trolling or throwing out ridiculous opinions so im not worried about someone having the ability to freeze or ban.

Personally, I only mentioned others as I believe that granting you powers would set a precedent which would then open the door for others.

You are probably the best active mod with abilities on the main UG forum.

maxmain - You've got my 100% support (whatever that will help)even though I think you might have been a bit of a douche in a recent thread ~wink~.

Least, I'm pretty sure it was you...thread seems to be gone.

Which thread?

If it was me I'll be more than happy to explain my actions.

frontrowbrian -  Censorship isn't the answer.

Are you suggesting there should be no mods at all?

I personally think Kirik just plain and simply doesn't have time to do the massive amounts of moderating asked of him alone and the small handful of mods that have those powers are just that, a small handful.

I don't wish to censor opinions, just try to keep the worst of the trolling down, kill some of the racist bullshit and slow down the fighter bashing.

signed - the most important thing Kirik could do to make this site better is to reliniquish some powers to deal with trolls, he is failing at doing it himself with Chris.

Dreamer, my personal opinion is that you're way too enamored of being a mod here for you to have the power to freeze or ban people.

I don't particularly want to get into a longwinded back-and-forth about this, but IMO anyone with a reasonable amount of life experience can see that about 80% of your posts now are you talking about your reasonable moderation and how everyone needs to give "you guys" a break.

You're just another of the many people who've been given low level mod powers here as a form of recognition and/or thanks by Kirik for whatever reason. All of those people seem to think they can "make a difference" at one point or another and ask for full powers. Very few/hardly any/none get them.

Not saying that this won't be different, and I know you do TRY to be reasonable, but from reading your posts over the last little bit I can detect the fact that you derive some sort of ego boost from your "status" as well and I don't think that trying to emulate the public posting style of Kirik is enough to justify letting you decide what is worthy of inclusion here.

Not trying to be a dick, just my opinion as I stated, but it was obvious that this was coming from you somewhere down the line and it happened quicker than I thought.

I've known Dreamer/ Dan for a few years now, and I would lay my own reputation on the line that he's the last person who would let this get to his head.

Voted up Dreamer

maxmain - 
DreamerMMA - 
maxmain - You've got my 100% support (whatever that will help)even though I think you might have been a bit of a douche in a recent thread ~wink~.

Least, I'm pretty sure it was you...thread seems to be gone.

Which thread?

If it was me I'll be more than happy to explain my actions.

Was it you on the thread which was posted about a guy seeing Lorenzo at the movies?

That guy was Tuff-N-Uff vice president Jeff Mayer who is a personal friend of mine.

I did post on that thread, however, I didn't delete it.

edit  I think I remember more what you are refering to.  Some people were ribbing Jeff so I ribbed back and called them clowns who couldn't pull the kind of ass Jeff does.

I was joking and some folks called me out on calling people clowns.

For my part I apologize, I was just screwing around.

I would say I agree, but since we recently had another respected mod go a bit overboard, I would just say that an outright ban needs to only happen if the abuse is extreme and repeated.

I can think of three or four posters that lend absolutely nothing positive to any of the forums.

I'm down. Just don't ban me. Mmkay? Phone Post

Fake Rassler - Dreamer, my personal opinion is that you're way too enamored of being a mod here for you to have the power to freeze or ban people.

I don't particularly want to get into a longwinded back-and-forth about this, but IMO anyone with a reasonable amount of life experience can see that about 80% of your posts now are you talking about your reasonable moderation and how everyone needs to give "you guys" a break.

You're just another of the many people who've been given low level mod powers here as a form of recognition and/or thanks by Kirik for whatever reason. All of those people seem to think they can "make a difference" at one point or another and ask for full powers. Very few/hardly any/none get them.

Not saying that this won't be different, and I know you do TRY to be reasonable, but from reading your posts over the last little bit I can detect the fact that you derive some sort of ego boost from your "status" as well and I don't think that trying to emulate the public posting style of Kirik is enough to justify letting you decide what is worthy of inclusion here.

Not trying to be a dick, just my opinion as I stated, but it was obvious that this was coming from you somewhere down the line and it happened quicker than I thought.
Understandable.

I see people all the time though complaining that mods don't do shit here or don't do enough.

My opinion is that it's because there are too few mods and most of us that are mods don't really have the power to do what is needed in some cases.

Kirik is also notoriously difficult to get ahold of in a timely manner at times.

To my knowledge this forum has thousands of registered members and hundreds of threads a day pop up and it's just too much to handle for Kirik, Chris and the other supermods alone.

Also, Kirik is quick to take down a mod that's out of line.  I'm confident that if I screw up I'll be nerfed with no remorse.

I don't intend on being an asshole here, I represent Rupture Clothing as well as being a moderator here and I don't wish to alienate people by being unreasonable or emotionally unstable.

I didn't make this thread for an ego boost, I did it to expose myself to the opinions and criticisms of the members here before trying to step up.  If the majority of the members here don't feel I can moderate at that level then I'll drop it. 

I want what's best for this site and the members here first and foremost and I feel my actions have mostly reflected that.

The times I've talked about giving moderators a break is the many threads I've seen people complaining about mods not doing their jobs or not caring at all.  I've mostly said it's because there are too few of us with any real power and we can't be everywhere at once.

In fact, this thread is mostly a response to that. 

If I do indeed get upgraded as a mod I'll make another thread a bit later on to see if people are happy or displeased with my moderating.

If the UG feels I'm a bad mod I'll personally ask to be demodded.

Dreamer, very REASONABLE response! ;) Maybe you just like playing the mod role. I accept that it could be mostly cynicism for me to see it as an ego boost for you, although I definitely don't/didn't mean that in a harsh or judgmental way (just to clarify).

Honestly, if Kirik is going to start farming out the ability to ban or freeze people (which I don't expect), I would rather have it be someone who felt like they should make a detailed post here explaining their actions even if I do find their overall persona slightly irritating (lol, jk).

Kirik has to walk a fine line here between alienating different groups of people - in the past, we've had a lot of quality content deleted from here unnecessarily in the name of "protecting fighters" and "supporting the sport." On the other hand, people have been up in arms over the banning of certain members/accounts for what seem to be relatively minor (or non-) infractions.

It's a difficult balance to maintain (and I would for sure try to maintain it differently than Kirik + Chris do) so I don't see much changing for the time being out of fear of making things worse. People are complaining a lot right now on the forum, but in my experience those complaints just shift from private-public and don't necessarily grow that much in number during these supposed "bad times" for trolling (etc). It's just fashionable to complain on the UG right now because posters think others will agree with them due to general sentiment, IMO.

nobones -  I agree with Fake Rassler's main point that the idea that if a single mod is given 'more power' he can 'make the difference' seems like a natural reaction for mods to have but is rarely ever the right solution. 

Also I've noticed sponsors that become mods tend to be overly sensitive.  Many of them actually know the fighters and tend to defend them or become hypersensitive to any criticism of their friends/clients.

I totally understand your POV on sponsor/mods.

It was something I was concerned about when I first got modded but hasn't really been a problem.

People can talk shit on me and Rupture Clothing all they want, I may respond with words but not moderator action.

Fighter bashing is against TOS though and even if it's a fighter I personally don't care for or with a rival company I would never let that be a determining factor.

I have seen my friends and sponsored fighters criticised here before as a mod.  I saw Hitman accuse my company of being nazi's because we use some black/red/white gear but I did nothing as a moderator about it.

I'd actually be happy just being able to freeze, it'd be a good start and a good indicator if I could be trusted with ban powers IMO.

I've been a mod here almost 2 years now and I've had very few complaints that I'm aware of.

I've always tried to be open to you guys and receptive to your criticisms and concerns.

nobones - 
DreamerMMA - 
nobones - 
The Yellow Emperor - Didn't you get into a heated arguement with Hitman Dan on the Nazi thread?

Seems to me that a Mod should be above that sort of thing. Too easy to abuse the power to ban when you get personal on the forum. That's why it was taken away from Mods to begin.

“Those who seek power are not worthy of that power.” - Plato
+1

Dreamer should not be asking for more power.  If it were truly warranted, it would be granted to him by the benevolent Kirik and Chris.

I think if you really want a job then you ask for it, it doesn't come looking for you.

I'm not looking to start banning people left and right, just to be able to function more independently as a mod.

Kirik and Chris are not the only mods that can ban btw.  Fabes and a couple of others can also.

I made this thread as a response to the hundreds of posts I've seen with people begging for moderator action.   I'm often here at odd hours and think I can be helpful.

The natural reaction to when there is discontent is to consolidate more power to single individuals.  It is rarely the best solution.  And no, if you are worth your salt the best jobs/jobs that will satisfy you the most come to you not the other way around.

More people need to use the vote down/vote up system.  The UG can regulate itself.  People need to get thicker skins.  Too many mods with banning powers is a bad idea.

You have a very Zen view of the world, nobones. I can't think of one job I've ever had where the powers that be always promoted the best workers, as opposed to the one's people who were most outspoken and displayed a keen sense of politics.

I think if you polled the UG, you'd find more than a few individuals who believe their boss wasn't promoted due to the justness of the cosmos. :)

DreamerMMA, how do you personally define a troll, as opposed to someone with an unpopular opinion or aggravating personality? And what steps would you take before resorting to banning/freezing?

d mo -  as long as you quickly ban 2cash2quit I support you 100%

i'd support you 100% either way.  you are a stud (romo) and it was awesome to meet you (romo) at the UGGP in vegas

David, I remember you.  You put on a hell of a fight and dominated a very game opponent from Sherdog.

I appreciate the support man.

ttt

You have my vote but only if you let me say a lot of retarded shit. Phone Post

My two cents, I thought DreamerMMA was more than fair with allcloser on the David Lang thread. That thread is pretty important to the bbj community, and there should not be any trolling by posters on that one. It will be very hard to police the whole site, but, on the the serious stuff, the posters seeking attention, need to use judgement. DreamerMMA gave allcloser a chance to reel it in, and for a mod on an internet site, that's pretty cool.

Beeza -  My two cents, I thought DreamerMMA was more than fair with allcloser on the David Lang thread. That thread is pretty important to the bbj community, and there should not be any trolling by posters on that one. It will be very hard to police the whole site, but, on the the serious stuff, the posters seeking attention, need to use judgement. DreamerMMA gave allcloser a chance to reel it in, and for a mod on an internet site, that's pretty cool.

Allcloser did mellow out after that. 

I do prefer it when diplomacy works.