If I could freeze/ban trolls?

DreamerMMA - 
Beeza -  My two cents, I thought DreamerMMA was more than fair with allcloser on the David Lang thread. That thread is pretty important to the bbj community, and there should not be any trolling by posters on that one. It will be very hard to police the whole site, but, on the the serious stuff, the posters seeking attention, need to use judgement. DreamerMMA gave allcloser a chance to reel it in, and for a mod on an internet site, that's pretty cool.

Allcloser did mellow out after that. 

I do prefer it when diplomacy works.

That's my point, instead of throwing gas on the fire, you were able to soft pedal it for the desired response. That's a good website mod. Most mods, all over the interwebz, get power hungry and make it a very ugly situation. The David Lange thread would not have handled that style very well. Great job, DreamerMMA. You can still ban me when I do my crazy drunken bender posts. Which might happen tonight. (Not on any of the fake bbj belt threads)

Banning is harsh and something I'd probably avoid most of the time.

Freezing would likely be rare too.

I can usually make my point with just some words and maybe some deleted posts or a frozen/deleted/moved thread.

Freezing/banning would be saved for the worst of the worst.  Ones that can't be reasoned with and are obviously here just for the sake of trolling.

catbath - 
nobones - 
DreamerMMA - 
nobones - 
The Yellow Emperor - Didn't you get into a heated arguement with Hitman Dan on the Nazi thread?

Seems to me that a Mod should be above that sort of thing. Too easy to abuse the power to ban when you get personal on the forum. That's why it was taken away from Mods to begin.

“Those who seek power are not worthy of that power.” - Plato
+1

Dreamer should not be asking for more power.  If it were truly warranted, it would be granted to him by the benevolent Kirik and Chris.

I think if you really want a job then you ask for it, it doesn't come looking for you.

I'm not looking to start banning people left and right, just to be able to function more independently as a mod.

Kirik and Chris are not the only mods that can ban btw.  Fabes and a couple of others can also.

I made this thread as a response to the hundreds of posts I've seen with people begging for moderator action.   I'm often here at odd hours and think I can be helpful.

The natural reaction to when there is discontent is to consolidate more power to single individuals.  It is rarely the best solution.  And no, if you are worth your salt the best jobs/jobs that will satisfy you the most come to you not the other way around.

More people need to use the vote down/vote up system.  The UG can regulate itself.  People need to get thicker skins.  Too many mods with banning powers is a bad idea.

You have a very Zen view of the world, nobones. I can't think of one job I've ever had where the powers that be always promoted the best workers, as opposed to the one's people who were most outspoken and displayed a keen sense of politics.

I think if you polled the UG, you'd find more than a few individuals who believe their boss wasn't promoted due to the justness of the cosmos. :)

DreamerMMA, how do you personally define a troll, as opposed to someone with an unpopular opinion or aggravating personality? And what steps would you take before resorting to banning/freezing?
Sorry man, missed this post earlier.

Trolls are people who only post to elicit a negative response from other members.

The steps I usually take are that I will warn them first.  Sometimes privately and sometimes publicly, depends on if I feel the particular person or subject needs to be made an example of or just talked to.

If the person takes my warning and chills out I drop it.

If they continue I start deleting posts and dropping warnings, sometimes freezing or deleting whole threads if it's really bad.  I prefer to freeze threads rather than delete them because I can make a mistake like anyone else and this gives another mod a chance to review it and overturn my decision if need be.

If the offense is extreme or the person decides to spam troll or something then I freeze the thread and send the link to Kirik.  I tell him what I saw, what I did and why I did it and recommend actions such as freezing or banning.

If I get freezing and/or banning powers I'd pretty much operate the same although I'd freeze people myself rather than contacting Kirik.  I'd contact Kirik if I felt a ban was in order, especially on older or paying members.

Not picking on the new guys but the obvious old school trolls popping up with new names and trolling like old pro's will just get the ban hammer if I can't get through to them with words.

im all for it. this place has gotten out of hand with the trolls

dreamer is good peeps.

i think you guys should get a Mod Ground though that only mods can access. Where all the mods can discuss things related to the forum and problem users and stuff. That way before you make a decision you can get approval from other mods so one mod doesnt go postal.

ABE FROMAN - The last guy who tried to mod this place got outed with a quickness. You'll get laughed at or ignored if you ask the head guys for this, they don't care.
It's pretty much established that mods who do proper work are not wanted... half ass mods only.......

lookoutawhale -  dreamer is good peeps.

i think you guys should get a Mod Ground though that only mods can access. Where all the mods can discuss things related to the forum and problem users and stuff. That way before you make a decision you can get approval from other mods so one mod doesnt go postal.

I agree 100% with a mod ground.

Only if you also agree to ban the dooly's who make these 10'er comments in every thread. It seems like they get such a semi from it, they do it even on legit threads/comments. I'm kinda testing the waters before deciding to go premium and that doesn't make me want to send any money this way.

There should be a banned ground where accountability takes place. Once someone gets frozen/banned whatever he can only post there, ask what he has done etc etc.....

Threads should be moved to the banned ground until chris or kirik or a uninimous agreement with other mods can be reached to delete said thread.

CoolStoryBrah - Only if you also agree to ban the dooly's who make these 10'er comments in every thread. It seems like they get such a semi from it, they do it even on legit threads/comments. I'm kinda testing the waters before deciding to go premium and that doesn't make me want to send any money this way.

If you can't handle some 10ers gonna 10 comments then you are far too thin skinned for these forums.

Or maybe how we do polls on who are top 5 fighters in mma.......

There could be a poll on a thread where only mods can vote, to freeze/ban a guy etc etc.........

KingOfFighters - There should be a banned ground where accountability takes place. Once someone gets frozen/banned whatever he can only post there, ask what he has done etc etc.....

Threads should be moved to the banned ground until chris or kirik or a uninimous agreement with other mods can be reached to delete said thread.

Members can email Chris or Kirik if they are frozen or banned.

Frozen threads can be unfrozen.

Some mods, myself include, just dump silly threads into the "what if" forum.  They can be rescued later if need be.

I'm not against the idea though.

But dumping them in the what if forums are kind of like a black hole where threads go.......

A bannedground they'd be there for a reason, because action has taken place.

KingOfFighters - Or maybe how we do polls on who are top 5 fighters in mma.......

There could be a poll on a thread where only mods can vote, to freeze/ban a guy etc etc.........
I don't know man...I mean...I see your point...but reality is most of the mods here don't communicate much and it'd be a long and uncertain process to go that route.

I think the better idea is avoid posting stupid or questionable material and mods will mostly just leave you alone.

If someone really feels they were done an injustice they can always contact Kirik or Chris and plead their case.

Those guys have the ultimate say on this site and I have seen them overturn mod decisions before.

However, I've also seen them straight up ban someone that's brought up a case that another mod took only light action on.

Kirik is a good guy but he'll swing the ban hammer for lesser things than many of the other mods will.

If you are uncertain about a rule or the pulse of this place feel free to ask me or another mod if something is a good idea if you are really worried about getting frozen/banned.

KingOfFighters - But dumping them in the what if forums are kind of like a black hole where threads go.......

A bannedground they'd be there for a reason, because action has taken place.

That's exactly what it is.

However, it's still a live forum that people can go to and post on and somewhere that a supermod can go to look at and maybe rescue a thread.

I think most threads there are dumped there, dunno if anyone actually posts there on purpose.

DreamerMMA - 
CoolStoryBrah - Only if you also agree to ban the dooly's who make these 10'er comments in every thread. It seems like they get such a semi from it, they do it even on legit threads/comments. I'm kinda testing the waters before deciding to go premium and that doesn't make me want to send any money this way.

If you can't handle some 10ers gonna 10 comments then you are far too thin skinned for these forums.

Just wanted to point out that some of these guys are "trolling" as well, although having an earlier join date some how justifies the clutter they are contributing to otherwise interesting threads. They degrade the quality as much as any other "troll". I've been posting on here since yesterday and have already seen about 50 of these 10'er posts. Quality stuff indeed.

CoolStoryBrah - 
DreamerMMA - 

Just wanted to point out that some of these guys are "trolling" as well, although having an earlier join date some how justifies the clutter they are contributing to otherwise interesting threads. They degrade the quality as much as any other "troll". I've been posting on here since yesterday and have already seen about 50 of these 10'er posts. Quality stuff indeed.
Hazing newbs is tradition here.

From the KKM's to the TUF noobs to the 10ers.

I doubt it's going to stop anytime soon and I certainly don't intend to stop it.

Don't ten and you won't get tenned.

DreamerMMA - 
CoolStoryBrah - 
DreamerMMA - 

Hazing newbs is tradition here.

From the KKM's to the TUF noobs to the 10ers.

I doubt it's going to stop anytime soon and I certainly don't intend to stop it.

Don't ten and you won't get tenned.

LOL
Don't ten and i won't get tenned? Apply that logic to my Did Vera and Silva have beef before the fight? thread.

DreamerMMA - 
catbath - 
nobones - 
DreamerMMA - 
nobones - 
The Yellow Emperor - Didn't you get into a heated arguement with Hitman Dan on the Nazi thread?

Seems to me that a Mod should be above that sort of thing. Too easy to abuse the power to ban when you get personal on the forum. That's why it was taken away from Mods to begin.

“Those who seek power are not worthy of that power.” - Plato
+1

Dreamer should not be asking for more power.  If it were truly warranted, it would be granted to him by the benevolent Kirik and Chris.

I think if you really want a job then you ask for it, it doesn't come looking for you.

I'm not looking to start banning people left and right, just to be able to function more independently as a mod.

Kirik and Chris are not the only mods that can ban btw.  Fabes and a couple of others can also.

I made this thread as a response to the hundreds of posts I've seen with people begging for moderator action.   I'm often here at odd hours and think I can be helpful.

The natural reaction to when there is discontent is to consolidate more power to single individuals.  It is rarely the best solution.  And no, if you are worth your salt the best jobs/jobs that will satisfy you the most come to you not the other way around.

More people need to use the vote down/vote up system.  The UG can regulate itself.  People need to get thicker skins.  Too many mods with banning powers is a bad idea.

You have a very Zen view of the world, nobones. I can't think of one job I've ever had where the powers that be always promoted the best workers, as opposed to the one's people who were most outspoken and displayed a keen sense of politics.

I think if you polled the UG, you'd find more than a few individuals who believe their boss wasn't promoted due to the justness of the cosmos. :)

DreamerMMA, how do you personally define a troll, as opposed to someone with an unpopular opinion or aggravating personality? And what steps would you take before resorting to banning/freezing?
Sorry man, missed this post earlier.

Trolls are people who only post to elicit a negative response from other members.

The steps I usually take are that I will warn them first.  Sometimes privately and sometimes publicly, depends on if I feel the particular person or subject needs to be made an example of or just talked to.

If the person takes my warning and chills out I drop it.

If they continue I start deleting posts and dropping warnings, sometimes freezing or deleting whole threads if it's really bad.  I prefer to freeze threads rather than delete them because I can make a mistake like anyone else and this gives another mod a chance to review it and overturn my decision if need be.

If the offense is extreme or the person decides to spam troll or something then I freeze the thread and send the link to Kirik.  I tell him what I saw, what I did and why I did it and recommend actions such as freezing or banning.

If I get freezing and/or banning powers I'd pretty much operate the same although I'd freeze people myself rather than contacting Kirik.  I'd contact Kirik if I felt a ban was in order, especially on older or paying members.

Not picking on the new guys but the obvious old school trolls popping up with new names and trolling like old pro's will just get the ban hammer if I can't get through to them with words.

Good stuff. I hope you get your chance.

got this lousy mudders vote