If Penn loses.......

I'm more curious to see any change in BJ's "cardio issues" as a 155lbr...He was carrying extra weight and had heavier guys in his guard. That's tiring. also that made him more susceptible to things like that rib injury he got due to the extra weight strain.

"THe reason penn "nuthuggers" say he's the best is because even on his off nights he loses split decisions. (bogus imo) Look at his record. He's never been dominated."

Maybe it's just me, but it takes more than losing split decisions and not being dominated to be the best. It takes, you know, CONSISTENTLY BEATING THE BEST.

He'll hopefully leave the plate lunches alone (no mac salad or mousubi BJ!!)... In fact, I am interested in seeing him at 155 again. When the hell did he last make that cut?

That being said, I want the fight to be competitive, but I want Jens to win in convincing fashion.

"Got injured against hughes after mopping the floor with him for two rounds."

explain to me how defending takedowns and putting Hughes in a half-gogo=mopping the floor with him. Those tow rounds, while BJ's IMO, had zero floor mopping done by either fighter.

This is the deal with Hughes and GSP.

Both are superb fighters AND superb athletes. The amazing thing is BJ almost toys with his opposition in these early rounds. Perhaps it's just me, but I see the desperation on their faces. GSP showed alot of heart versus BJ, only a pro could do that. I think you are seriously underestimating how crisp BJ was striking early.

Huges also looked outclassed striking, and defending his takedowns - that is seriously control to me. We all know you cancel takedown attempts you drain a fighter like Hughes. Hughes has champion heart, and it certainly served him well, but he is not going to win a striking war with Penn. On the ground Penn was in control then visibily shut down. He was winning in both catergories. To me you give points for a takedown that delivers no submission or damage before its stood up again, that is just like denying a takedown. Should be pointed the same.

BJ gets GSP or Hughes like cardio, he rules 155 or 170.

IF he dedicates himself to cardio there is not a better fighter int he UFC IMO. Whenver he fights he always looks way better than his opponet for the first two rounds, then gasses and ends up losing.

BJ should be able to win this one, heck I love anyone who plays COD but Jens' takedown defence is not god like, and Penn's pretty good at it. And to make things worse, no matter it's bottom or top, it's always gonna be Penn's world.

easy tartuffe, I'm not sure what brought on all the hate, I was just curious what people thought. You just made yourself sound like an angry child who was just told by a school mate his favorite cartoon sucked. Nobody is saying bj sucks so calm down. People can have different opinions its ok.

LOL at BJ losing this match

will won't do anything because he won't lose

Hard to intelligently see BJ losing to Jens. Jens seems like a cool guy but he will lose.

can't wait to see what the penn haters have to say after this fight

"It was a stupid hypothetical and that's what I called it"

Guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I thought it was a good question because most people are not expecting Penn to loose. Just like the first time they fought. Seriously...Does he stay at 155lbs??Go back to 170lbs?? Do they give him some unknowns to fight to get him some wins?? Will BJ call it quits if he looses?? Anyone of these things could happen if he looses.

"Huges also looked outclassed striking"

Penn landed maybe 3-4 more punches in the first, and Hughes landed the hardest punch of the round. Penn lever landed another strike.

"We all know you cancel takedown attempts you drain a fighter like Hughes."

Except Matt came into the second round looking just as fresh in the first, while Penn was already flat-footed and slow, being caught immediately with a kick to the body and taken down on the first attempt.

"On the ground Penn was in control then visibily shut down."

On the ground he spent 3:30 of the round defending against elbows and punches (mostly successfully, granted).

"To me you give no points for a takedown that delivers no submission or damage"

lol, so you give Penn points for defending takedowns but not Hughes for getting them? Penn is "in control" on the ground because he is defending against 3.5 minutes of elbows, but when Hughes defends a submission that is still a mark against Matt? PRICELESS.

"When you look at the four rounds bj and matt have fought, there is a clear difference pre injury and post injury."

It's comical that you ignore the fact that BJ was purely on the defensive for 90% of the first round and 70% of the second.

It would be devastating to BJ to lose to Jens again. That is why I don't believe it will happen.

Nice retort Orcus. Thanks for saving me the time.

BTW - I love watching BJ Penn fight. I think he's one of the best ever and I'm a fan. I'm also a huge MFS fan, obviously.

I personally think Jens needs to have a great fight to beat BJ. I'll be rooting for Jens because I've met the guy and he was as cool as could be. But, to put % on what I think their chance to win is....I put it at BJ 75%, Jens 25%.

See what I did there? Even though I'm rooting for one guy I am able to look at the matchup without bias, something most nuthuggers are unable to do.

"
orcus, are you actually claiming that Hughes won the first or second round? "

I don't know, did I say that? Did you read what I wrote?

his sub defense was poor. Why is that better than poor cardio?

After reading this, I knew tartuffe was trolling. 

BTW, it's pretty common knowledge that when BJ had Matt's back in the first fight, Matt was rocked.  I don't think not defending the RNC because he was rocked = poor sub defense.

Explain to me again why it's silly that people ignore that bj injured his ribs taking matt's back?

I love this excuse.  How many fights and BJJ tourneys has BJ had?  His ribs never "separated" before, did they?  Perhaps having a guy with the strength and balance of Hughes on top of him made BJ strain that little bit extra which caused the rumored injury?  Should we have called the fight a no-contest at that point?

BJ Penn fans are the craziest people on this board

if he loses we'll have to sit here and listen to 3 weeks of why he didn't really lose. if he wins we'll have listen to 3 weeks of how that one win proves he's the best fighter in the sport. either way i'm not looking forward to it

BJ's skillset is nearly unbeatable, with equal conditioning to Hughes.

But I thought Hughes was lazy when it came to training, too?  It's statements like this, which can't be backed up by any facts, that make people not like BJ nuthuggers.

BJ PWND hughes until gassing

Please read this thread for how incorrect your statement is.  But thanks for bringing back the "PWND" comment.

He got choked out because he grabbed the ankle to escape.

Yes.  After having been rocked and, IIRC, he told Monte or somebody else who posts here that he was unconscious for a split second and doesn't remember BJ being on his back at all.

He did the same thing in the second fight, leading to the reverse triangle.

Hmmm...so Hughes learned how to defend the choke then?  I honestly don't recall how long BJ had Matt's back in the second fight or how close the RNC was.

Now he's in better shape.

I hope so.  We'll see.  But to imply that had he been in better shape he would have beaten Matt is taking a lot away from Hughes, IMO.  The first two rounds of the second fight were very even.  As I stated above, I gave both to BJ by slight margins.  There's no way to know what would have happened had BJ been in better shape.  It's actually disrespectful to use not being in shape as a reason why a guy didn't win.  Once the door closes all that matters is what happens until the door opens again.