Is BJJ just Catch with guard & guard passing?

Since very few catch guys exist today I am willing to bet that over his career Barnet has rolled or trained with more bjj guys than catch guys.

Isn't Eric Paulson a bjj black belt? Phone Post

Lots of BJJ guys have Judo blackbelts, I guess that means they are judoka...

catch had pin falls

"Jiu Jitsu is a gentle art, Catch is a violent art" -Josh Barnett

That's an awesome quote, that would make a great Catch t-shirt  :)

As long as bjj guard is injected into the system, I think Catch prepares a fighter better for mma than traditional bjj, imo

EddieBravo -  "Jiu Jitsu is a gentle art, Catch is a violent art" -Josh Barnett

As long as bjj guard is injected into the system, I think Catch prepares a fighter better for mma than traditional bjj, imo

<br type="_moz" />

lol noob

catch has taken stuff from traditional bjj
so it makes no sense

There was also a vid of OSU(oklahoma) wrestling from the 30's posted a couple weeks ago that had some guard work in it 

whytetittie - 
tiki121 - 

<br type="_moz" />

Haven't we already determined Catch pre-dates BJJ?

lol noob

catch has taken stuff from traditional bjj
so it makes no sense

noob? GTFO

When we are talking about no-gi. It's all grappling. If one guy isn't wearing a gi, and the other guy can't win by pin, it's not BJJ vs Catch...

I still maintain it's not style vs style but approach vs approach in context. Yes one guy can say they come from a catch background and the other bjj, but either guy winning doesn't mean one style is superior to the other.

If you like a philosophy of HEAVY pressure top game, heel hooks, bent arm locks and a preference to scramble to knees as opposed to 're-guarding' , then you may like cacc.

Yes we have guard work.

But anyway, i think you are trolling or you're just to lazy to use the search fonction to educate yourself about catch. 

^Great post Spartan. Come to think of it, I'm a pretty aggressive top player. I tend to get to my knees and sweep way more than reguarding and sweeping from there. I wouldn't call it Catch wrestling though, just a slightly different approach.

Never understood why every thread about catch wrestling had to have posts claiming catch 'stole' things from BJJ. Maybe it's some kind of style vs style mentality we're stuck in, and people feel some kind of need to take sides.

All sub-grappling to me.

Eddie IS trolling.....

He teaches Catch...

Catch wrestling and old folkstyle wrestling, both of which had submissions, if they still existed and were practiced widely like they used to be (I mean, wrestling with subs was a collegiate sport for crying out loud) would be a much better base.

Modern MMA scoring frowns on being on your back, so having a base in an art that stressed submission knowledge with and which placed just as strong an emphasis on staying off your back would be better suited than the highly contextual guard position.

It is a shame to see Eddie trolling catch wrestling. You can find all kinds of old books and even some old footage know that shows that, yep, farm boys and collegiate athletes were doing all this "new" submission grappling stuff over a century ago.

EddieBravo -  If I'm not mistaken, isn't BJJ the same thing as Catch except with guard and guard passing?

In official Catch matches, did catch have guard passing or not?

Did catch have guard playing at all?

If not, why?

And if not, when exactly did Catch ad guard work and guard passing to the system?

Eddie, if there was no guard passing, how on earth would catch guys get to the cross chest position?

wow

It is a shame to see Eddie trolling catch wrestling. You can find all kinds of old books and even some old footage know that shows that, yep, farm boys and collegiate athletes were doing all this "new" submission grappling stuff over a century ago."

I looked into Catch by watching Tony Chechine's Lost Art Of Hooking about 8 years ago and that's where my research stopped, sorry but I thought that was catch. I didn't see any real guard work or legit passing.

I AM lazy at times about doing the research so I used this forum to find answers about catch's guard work and guard passing, this place is like MMA google to me.

All I wanted to see is non worked old school catch matches with guard work, I didn't want to have to sift thru a hundred videos, I figured the catch guys on here would save me time.

I am prolly more a catch guy nowadays than a bjj guy, who knows :)

from what i understand they used it in carnivals,and as they traveled and "fought" other catch wrestlers they shared techniques.At some point they started sharing techniques with jiujitsu guys.It seemed to be a blank canvas that guys had the freedom to add whatever they thought worked

my guess is the guard wasnt much of a factor since bjj guard was created to give the smaller guy an advantage by emphasizing leverage and seems to be a big disadvantage if your allowed to be pinned.Most of those guys were pretty big and i highly doubt they took those guards seriously,no more seriously then we take master seagal.

I think the main difference is emphasizing having a superior position,the reason i beleive bjj will become obsolete is because it was made and designed to give a small guy a chance,without regards to time limits and weight classes.

A bjj fighter really has to get a sub to win a fight,or he will almost always lose a decision.A catch wrestler can go for subs but still win a decision if he cant catch one because how judges score fights

there really doesnt seem to be an organized way of teaching catch wrestling because of how it evolved and different guys doing different things,i think thats why its hard to understand what it is.Because it is whatever that individual makes it,im sure the lineage is very narrow and not as wide as say a bjj school where u can find in any town

if your part of that lineage then you probably go out of your way to tell people its catch wrestling and not bjj although most fans probably cant differentiate

EddieBravo -
I am prolly more a catch guy nowaday than a bjj guy, who knows :)

this is probably true,i think its more of a creative mindset more then anything else and i think thats probably something you share.Not just pull out the encyclopedia of 10000 moves and try to perfect what others already know.but Actually evolving

Check out .15 - .18 of this vid from 1903 with something very much like a guard in play. Defense given is knee in tailbone... = guard pass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VvsiDFLG_o

I also found the standing version of the twister.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcDrM9lUWUc&feature=related

If you asked a catch wrestler to do New York, he would.  Because he can.  If hydrated enough.  And given access to the entire city.

Didn't Barnett post on here a long time ago and own everyone dismissing catch as simplified BJJ?

I have no idea what the topic was or who posted it.