James Toney's trainer, Come on UFC?

This fight is inevitable and had to happen. If the UFC didn't make it, they would only be accused by the Flat Earthers (those few boxing fans that still think Toney should be favored) of ducking Toney.

Who is the UFC to not give him a shot? The point has to be made. And Toney is the perfect foil for it. He has the best chin in the last 20-30 years in boxing (name someone else that's been as durable from middle to heavy) and has never been knocked out in a zillion fights. The only time I remember him being floored is on a perfect left hand from Reggie Johnson (RJ dropped him but that was more of a fluke-trick shot). He is the ideal guy to demonstrate that being a great boxer and amazingly durable (albeit well past his prime) means nothing when you're on your back.

There's also the remote chance he could land something huge, which is exactly why this is interesting.

frontrowbrian - 
Lord Humoungous - I think you guys are taking Brian the wrong way.He's talking about Toney's trainers credentials and his ability to train a guy like Toney in his first MMA fight against someone like Randy Couture.
Toney is doing the training on the cheap. He probably talked to some legit trainers and the price was too high. Sherman is probably doing it for next to nothing.

I think it's different/worse than that. I think Toney said it himself, he doesn't want an 'MMA trainer.' He doesn't want to go to through an 'MMA camp.' He's not trying to be that fighter, he wants to show that 'boxing with takedown defense' is 'superior to MMA.'

It's all a load of bullshit boxing people have in their head that somehow the style of boxing is so superior as a striking technique that it will prevail in any fight with reasonable success.

What a load of crap.

He has a garbage camp by his own choice because of his own wrongheaded ideas.

[I'm a big boxing fan.]

I don't really understand the OP here. What is it that is exactly burning him up? Is he:

-Pissed that someone he knew as a beginner is Toney's mma coach?

-Pissed that he never made it to the UFC?

-Pissed that he has never cornered someone in the UFC?

-Pissed that he isn't Toney's coach?

-Pissed that Toney is in the UFC?

I can feel the pain though. This is a case of someone getting lucky in the business, and the UFC is a business.

LOL at the OP. This is one of those posts that you get typed up and should have retreated on the post button. A lot of whining going on.

newbloodmma - 
Mr.Unbreakable -  
 I can't take no more, This is crazy. I am so glad I am making an exit out of this sport now. I was an assistant to Eddy Millis from the Shark Tank eight years ago when I met Toney's so called head trainer (Trever Sherman) This is so sad that the UFC has come to this. I was showing this guy Trever Sherman basic moves eight years ago. I've fought some of the best fighters in the world & have never been close to the UFC cage. only been to a few shows because I bought my own ticket. I started fighting because I had a dream of fighting in the UFC thirteen years ago. That dream has never come true for me. I've even trained some guys that are now in the UFC. I've never had the pleasure to even corner a fighter in the UFC. Then I see this guy (Sherman) as a head trainer to a guy (Toney) that does not even have one MMA fight under his belt,  fighting someone like Randy. This is so terrible, That I had to get out of my bed & type this right now. It burns me up. Oh well, maybe this is really what MMA has come to & I was right on making an exit out of the sport of which I loved at one time. I still can't believe this, It just goes to show you that people can B.S. their way into anything. How does something like this slip through under the radar? If Randy somehow does not win this fight I will never watch the UFC again. Brian Warren 
This is the wrong attitude Mr Unbreakable. You are clearly letting the luck of someone you feel is under you turn you into a hater, or atleast thats how it seems to me. Unlike some of these other posters I am not bashing your 13-15 record because I know you are a tough fighter who's been taking hard fights for years and you could have easily fought in the UFC. 

You said you worked with this guy "8 years ago" on some basic stuff. Maybe he took that basic stuff and worked hard to become somebody as a coach or trainer. Why would you throw what sounds like an ex student under the bus? Thats not cool, I figured you were better than that. 

Btw, lol @ getting out. When are you fighting again

Maybe this guy did work hard to become a trainer. Maybe he's a good trainer for a lower-level fighter. But he's not able to effectively train someone like Toney for a match against a guy like Randy.

I watched that show and was shocked that Toney wasn't working with the best of the best. That's not a knock on Trevor, by the way. He's a young guy, and it's an issue of experience.

FWIW, I've been training folks for 10 years and I sure as shit don't consider myself qualified to work with top-level talent as anything other than an occasional punching bag.

But hey, good for him. Hopefully it advances Trevor's career. And honestly, if I was a few years younger and really wanted to make my name is the fight game, I would have jumped on the chance to be Toney's trainer.

So how is this different than Lesnar getting fast tracked to a championship fight?

The UFC is a business, people like a spectacle, part of the spectacle is giving them folks they wanna see.

The UFC owners guessed right that folks wanna see Lesnar and are hoping folks wanna see Toney.

bsrizpac - 
MagSlim - 
frontrowbrian - 
Lord Humoungous - I think you guys are taking Brian the wrong way.He's talking about Toney's trainers credentials and his ability to train a guy like Toney in his first MMA fight against someone like Randy Couture.
Toney is doing the training on the cheap. He probably talked to some legit trainers and the price was too high. Sherman is probably doing it for next to nothing.

I think it's different/worse than that. I think Toney said it himself, he doesn't want an 'MMA trainer.' He doesn't want to go to through an 'MMA camp.' He's not trying to be that fighter, he wants to show that 'boxing with takedown defense' is 'superior to MMA.'

It's all a load of bullshit boxing people have in their head that somehow the style of boxing is so superior as a striking technique that it will prevail in any fight with reasonable success.

What a load of crap.

He has a garbage camp by his own choice because of his own wrongheaded ideas.

[I'm a big boxing fan.]

Boxing is superior to MMA "striking" which is usually a fucking joke.

The rest of what you said is correct. His camp is a joke.

Boxing is superior to mma striking for boxing not for mma. Randy said it best when he said something to the effect of mma striking not being a pure form of striking. The best strikers in mma typically use boxing or muay-thai and have modified what they do to meet the unique demands of mma.

Same as wrestling has to be modified properly for MMA and some wrestlers cannot make the transition from pure wrestling. Then you have guys such as Bones Jones and Maynard who have done an excellent job of modifying their game for MMA.

If somehow Toney stuffs 1 or 2 of Randy's takedowns and then ko's him, this trainer will look like a superhero and you will have guys rushing over to train with this newly found genius. Sometimes the best trainers seemingly come out of nowhere simply because they haven't had their moment yet with the right fighter.

For instance in TUF 1 and TUF 2 many camps emerged that the public hadn't heard of before, since none of their guys had previously been highly successful in the UFC. Now some of those camps are THE guys to go see.

I'm a huge boxing fan but there are many world class strikers in mma. Guys like JDS and Shogun do some great things striking wise especially with their footwork. There are dozens of non-shit tastic strikers in mma.

Then there are bouts such as Melendez/Thomson 2 that support your claim. But no, not all of mma striking is like that.

and by saying obvious point is obvious about modifying you either had to agree with the sentence prior to that or you just contradict yourself after that. Either way you had to be contradicting one of your posts.

The fact that you didn't know about this fight until 5 hours before posting this, somewhat tells me how much you actually follow mma.

Sour grapes.

Until Unbreakable

Lol, this thing blew up overnight. Like Trever Sherman!

Brian has a good point...

There is no way Trevor sherman is qualified enough to give james Toney the best training possible fior  his upcoming fight.

Great trainers who havnt fought mma are rare, sure they exist . Trevor dude does not have extensive enough background training high level mma fighters or against high level opponets

Mr.Unbreakable -  Lol, this thing blew up overnight. Like Trever Sherman!
haha good one

Mr.Unbreakable -  
 I can't take no more, This is crazy. I am so glad I am making an exit out of this sport now.

Every time you say this, someone offers you a bucket of money and you are right back in the cage. Just an observation.

toney earned his bones in the ring man. I do understand why you're bitter though. I went through the same shit with music.

This stuff is all about ENTERTAINMENT. Nothing else.

It's not a meritocracy.

Mr.Unbreakable -  Lol, this thing blew up overnight. Like Trever Sherman!

Classy.

Having to use personal insults.

Doesn't OP have a pyramid scheme to be participating in?

This is some funny stuff, I got some ideas in the works for you people. For my 1st Idea, I am going to start a project by taking a select few of you keyboard warrior to the next level. It will be called "The next ultimate keyboard warrior tryouts" Season one I take fifteen of you guys, put you in a house in the middle of San Bernardino, you can't escape because I have the house surrounded by gangsters & hommies from the block. You will all have your favorite supper high speed keyboards ready to battle each other. The winner at the end of the 1st season gets 100k, free typing lessons for a year & a free websters dictionary. Me & Dana White are the coaches. This is my Idea so don't get mad for me putting myself in the mix. We can vote on two more coaches next sesson. I'll work on the rest later, Have a great day training for the 1st season of  "The next ultimate keyboard warrior." God Bless! Brian Warren