Keenan: Rickson and Helio = tough purple belt

Non N00B - 
Soul Gravy -
WrestlingSucks - 

The evolution of bjj has been mostly in the sport sense. That constant rolling into leg entanglement stuff is great on a mat and with no striking allowed but very few people can make it work in an mma or self-defense scenario. 

Rickson fought no weight classes back when everybody was just kind of hoping their style was the best because there wasn't much data to support anybodies claim. That's a blackbelt.

It's pretty absurd to assume that Rickson wouldnt be able to hang today when his son uses his same style and butt rapes all kinds of top level rubber guarding, imanari rolling, 50/50 diving grapplers. 

This 100%.

Absolutely. 

Exactly. Kron wasn’t touted as a protege like his father, gets nowhere near the acclaim, and would probably be the first to admit he wasn’t as good as his Dad… yet he still won ADCC Gold in 2013.

TheRoguewrestler - Rickson schools purples... But black belts not so much. Games evolved. I know we all want to think of Rickson as the "mythical little Chinese kung fu expert" but the reality is, because of his age and the evolution of the sport, he doesn't stand much of a chance against top level black belts.

Spoken like a true noob. There are no words to describe what it feels like to be on the mat with that man and to be humbled (rather quickly) by his style and the very intricate and nuanced ways he can tap you. You dont have to experience it in order to respect it but if you had an oppurtunity it would shit on everything you thought you knew of when it comes to BJJ. 

The same can not be said about Keenan. In 50 yrs no one will remember who Keenan is. If he is lucky someone may have saved a video or two of him. Rickson's name will always be synonymous with JJ. There is a reason for that. 

The best way I can describe the situation you are referring too is like this; if you were to take a WW2 pilot and have him face off with a modern day fighter pilot with both of them flying a spitfire. Who would you put your money on? Modern day fighter pilot? Old school fighter pilot? My money is on the WW2 pilot. The reasoning for this is simple. The advantage always goes to those who are most prepared for a situation. Experience is a large part of preperation. You can be trained with all the bells and whistles and all the highly advanced technology in the world. At the end of the day it doesnt mean shit when it comes to a level playing field. My WW2 pilot chokes out your Keenan every day of the week and twice on Sunday. 

WrestlingSucks -

The evolution of bjj has been mostly in the sport sense. That constant rolling into leg entanglement stuff is great on a mat and with no striking allowed but very few people can make it work in an mma or self-defense scenario. 

Rickson fought no weight classes back when everybody was just kind of hoping their style was the best because there wasn't much data to support anybodies claim. That's a blackbelt.

It's pretty absurd to assume that Rickson wouldnt be able to hang today when his son uses his same style and butt rapes all kinds of top level rubber guarding, imanari rolling, 50/50 diving grapplers. 

This

i think Rickson would sub him now.To call him purple belt leval is an insult.Im purple belt and Id get destroyed and it be my pleasure

sekundarburnes - 
JoeVIP -

Well there is only one way to find out for Keenan. Hop on a plane to Brazil, walk into Ricksons gym and tell him to his face that he is only as good as a tough purple belt then ask him to roll.

Are you serious? Keenan would slaughter Rickson in Rickson's prime. God knows what he'd do to him now.

Old heads get too emotional about this topic - Keenan is correct. Shouldn't be controversial either, sports evolve. It would be a miracle if today's guys WEREN'T miles better than the top of the heap in 1998.

lets see keenan

do his stuff with punches flying at his face

his " advanced " would change a bit

It's an ignorant comment by Keenan. Rickson is no purple belt by modern standards. There are more than enough comments by elite level BJJ black belts attesting to how good he is on the mats.

Obviously ar 60 years old, he's not going to be competing against some hot shot 20 year olds with no injuries and full of energy. But in his prime, he gives anyone a run for their money. I don't buy into the mystique that he's unbeatable. Anyone is beatable, but the idea that he's purple belt level by today's standards is dumb.

sekundarburnes - 
JoeVIP -

Well there is only one way to find out for Keenan. Hop on a plane to Brazil, walk into Ricksons gym and tell him to his face that he is only as good as a tough purple belt then ask him to roll.

Are you serious? Keenan would slaughter Rickson in Rickson's prime. God knows what he'd do to him now.

Old heads get too emotional about this topic - Keenan is correct. Shouldn't be controversial either, sports evolve. It would be a miracle if today's guys WEREN'T miles better than the top of the heap in 1998.

If you think Rickson in his prime would simply be a tough purple today you’re a fucking idiot, and I question whether you understand the belt system.

You Rickson nuthuggers crack me up...."ohhh but the stories!!" Royce, Renzo and Royler were actually out there fighting real fighters on the biggest stage at the time.  They took all the arrows for the Gracies while Rickson fought Japanese Judo players and pro wrestlers under special rules.  If he coulda beat the best fighters at the time he woulda. End of story.

Winston Wolf -

i think Rickson would sub him now.To call him purple belt leval is an insult.Im purple belt and Id get destroyed and it be my pleasure

Sub him NOW? Nobody has subbed him ever on the gi (including Meregali, Buchecha, Aly, etc.) and only Gordon has done so in nogi. 

Do you think Rickson is still the best in the world at BJJ at this moment at 60?

Honestly I think this whole thing is overblown. The context of the conversation was bowing to "old masters" and he was mostly talking about Helio and the founders of BJJ and he off handedly threw Ricksons name in there. I legitimately think he was more talking about Helio and the other old-school old guys of THAT generation when he made the purple belt level comment. I'm obviously inferring here but that is the impression I got. I'm guessing if you asked Keenan directly if he really thinks Rickson is purple belt level, he wouldn't say that. That goofy redhead guy he picks on and runs around with is purple belt, he knows that dude isn't the same level as Rickson Gracie lol.

Caladan -
Winston Wolf -

Sub him NOW? Nobody has subbed him ever on the gi (including Meregali, Buchecha, Aly, etc.) and only Gordon has done so in nogi. 

Do you think Rickson is still the best in the world at BJJ at this moment at 60?

first off Rickson is 60 why would he feel the need to say that about the biggest legand in the sport.If Ricksons back is ok yes in a sub only match I think Rickson would win who knows

Vale Tudo Rules?

LOL Keenan would be massacred.

Caladan - 

Honestly I think this whole thing is overblown. The context of the conversation was bowing to "old masters" and he was mostly talking about Helio and the founders of BJJ and he off handedly threw Ricksons name in there. I legitimately think he was more talking about Helio and the other old-school old guys of THAT generation when he made the purple belt level comment. I'm obviously inferring here but that is the impression I got. I'm guessing if you asked Keenan directly if he really thinks Rickson is purple belt level, he wouldn't say that. That goofy redhead guy he picks on and runs around with is purple belt, he knows that dude isn't the same level as Rickson Gracie lol.

Retarded to talk about Helio in that way as well. People forget Helio was the one who produced Rorion, Relson, Rickson, Royce, Royler, Rolls, etc. He must have known something.

The context was he was joking about his new academy and how he was bringing shame to the old masters. He really wasn't trying to disrespect them, obviously Rickson is a legend and deserves respect. His point is really that a BB World Champion now isn't the same as a BB World Champion from 20 years ago. He is saying that there is probably twice as much knowledge and different techniques out there than there was when Rickson was doing this and that it would be hard for someone who knows only half as much to compete in Sport BJJ today. That's a pretty logical argument IMO.

It’s kind of like comparing a UFC Champ from the late 90’s to a UFC Champ now. They’re both UFC Champs, but the current one would smash the late 90’s one due to the advancement in technique and knowledge of the sport.

stillmatic - The context was he was joking about his new academy and how he was bringing shame to the old masters. He really wasn't trying to disrespect them, obviously Rickson is a legend and deserves respect. His point is really that a BB World Champion now isn't the same as a BB World Champion from 20 years ago. He is saying that there is probably twice as much knowledge and different techniques out there than there was when Rickson was doing this and that it would be hard for someone who knows only half as much to compete in Sport BJJ today. That's a pretty logical argument IMO.

It’s kind of like comparing a UFC Champ from the late 90’s to a UFC Champ now. They’re both UFC Champs, but the current one would smash the late 90’s one due to the advancement in technique and knowledge of the sport.

If it was really a joke, it was a dumb, disrespectful joke.

You 100% sure Stipe “would smash” the champs from the late 90s/early 2000s? (Mark Coleman, Maurice Smith, Josh Barnett, Randy Couture, Kevin Randleman, Bas Rutten)

Winston Wolf -
Caladan -
Winston Wolf -

first off Rickson is 60 why would he feel the need to say that about the biggest legand in the sport.If Ricksons back is ok yes in a sub only match I think Rickson would win who knows

Im not defending the comment. But Rickson isn't subbing Keenan today bro.

Sport BJJ gives people a false sense of security. Most of that shit don't work in the real world. There's a reason why most BJJ champs steer clear of MMA or at the very least train completely different BJJ when they prepare for an actual fight. 

I'll go with prime Rickson, Helio, Carlson, Carlos, etc over any of these chucklehead sport BJJ guys most of which would get fuckin destroyed in MMA or a street fight.....

Caladan - 
Winston Wolf -
Caladan -
Winston Wolf -

Im not defending the comment. But Rickson isn't subbing Keenan today bro.

Rickson should take the match. It would be hilarious if he did sub Keenan. At 60 he has nothing to lose. But if he beat Keenan or even just didn’t get subbed, everyone would believe that all the legends are true.

Yeah, but how would Bruce Lee do against Keenan?

shen - 

Yeah, but how would Bruce Lee do against Keenan?

Was waiting when someone would get the convo on point again - that’s what I’m talking about!

1 Like