Kettlebells to get strong

bull neck - Are you kidding? ROP is easy.

Heavy day - 5 x 1-2-3-4-5 c&P (and pull ups if you're serious).

Light day - 5 x 1-2-3

Medium - 5 x 1-2-3-4

When you can complete the heavy day you move up a bell. I suggest a 4kg jump, not a full 8kg jump. When you make the jump the first workout will be something like:

H - 3 x 1-2-3

L - 3 x 1

M - 3 x 1-2

Add reps until you get to 3 x 1-2-3-4-5 on the heavy day and adjust the light and medium days accordingly. Then add in ladders until you hit 5 x 1-2-3-4-5 again and repeat the process.

Don't use anything more than a 24kg unless you want fucked up shoulders or are a massive dude.
Wtf is 5 x 1-2-3-4-5? Phone Post 3.0

GaspareBJJ -

Light day - 5 x 1-2-3

Medium - 5 x 1-2-3-4

When you can complete the heavy day you move up a bell. I suggest a 4kg jump, not a full 8kg jump. When you make the jump the first workout will be something like:

H - 3 x 1-2-3

L - 3 x 1

M - 3 x 1-2

Add reps until you get to 3 x 1-2-3-4-5 on the heavy day and adjust the light and medium days accordingly. Then add in ladders until you hit 5 x 1-2-3-4-5 again and repeat the process.

Don't use anything more than a 24kg unless you want fucked up shoulders or are a massive dude.
Clean press right hand
Clean press left hand

That's 1

Clean press right hand
Clean press right hand
Clean press left hand
Clean press left hand

That's 2

And so forth Phone Post 3.0

Could be wrong also. ETK is horribly written and laid out. Phone Post 3.0

Triple X Guard -
GaspareBJJ -

Light day - 5 x 1-2-3

Medium - 5 x 1-2-3-4

H - 3 x 1-2-3

L - 3 x 1

M - 3 x 1-2

Clean press right hand
Clean press left hand

That's 1

Clean press right hand
Clean press right hand
Clean press left hand
Clean press left hand

That's 2

And so forth Phone Post 3.0
Voting you and bull neck up

Will get the rest of you later. Phone Post 3.0

Triple X guard - you've got it right :)

"1" is one clean and press each hand. Then you'd rest and do two c&P on one hand and then repeat on the other. Rest and then do 3 each hand.

In ROP speak 1-2-3-4-5 is a ladder. Each rep count is a rung. So the full thing is 5 ladders of 5 rungs. Pavel first introduced this in Beyond Bodybuilding.

The reasons the ladders with Kbs work are pretty simple and I explained it here - http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/why-70-can-make-you-stronger-faster-and-healthier (I link this to save me time having to rewrite the whole thing here).

If you search under all my articles you'll find a heap on kettlebells and some good ideas for training with them for when you've finished ROP.

bull neck - Triple X guard - you've got it right :)

"1" is one clean and press each hand. Then you'd rest and do two c&P on one hand and then repeat on the other. Rest and then do 3 each hand.

In ROP speak 1-2-3-4-5 is a ladder. Each rep count is a rung. So the full thing is 5 ladders of 5 rungs. Pavel first introduced this in Beyond Bodybuilding.

The reasons the ladders with Kbs work are pretty simple and I explained it here - http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/why-70-can-make-you-stronger-faster-and-healthier (I link this to save me time having to rewrite the whole thing here).

If you search under all my articles you'll find a heap on kettlebells and some good ideas for training with them for when you've finished ROP.
Voted up. Looking forward to reading.

I bought a 45 today having started conservatively with a 35. Big difference! Phone Post 3.0

Yes, it's a 25% jump. It may be "only" 4kg but in relative terms it's massive. Having said that, ROP with the 24kg is a bigger jump. You'll probably find the program not so bad with a 20kg, but the 24kg usually slows people down a bit. And using a 32kg and weighted pull ups it's a different beast altogether :)

bull neck - Triple X guard - you've got it right :)

Should I do max weight I can handle? Phone Post 3.0

No. ROP is a program where you are more likely using 60-70% of your best press weight. I would start it with a weight you can get 4-6 times. By the end of the 5 x 1-2-3-4-5 you'd be likely to get 8-12 reps with it. If you start with a weight you can just manage 3 reps with you'll never progress.

On the snatching, because someone mentioned it up there, Pavel recommend somewhere in ETK that you don't snatch much, if at all, for the first year of kb training. I don't even teach it to clients until they've been with us for at least a few months. Get the swing right. Drill the overhead position with get ups and pressing, and then filling in the gap between the swing and the snatch is easy. Until your swing is good, and it likely isn't if you haven't had an RKC or SFG work with you, then just work on swings more. Heavy one hand swings have about 95% of the payoff with nearly zero risk.

Fully written out work book for the ETK workouts

http://www.sesdweb.net/cms/lib06/PA01000019/Centricity/Domain/76/Intro_To_Kettlebells.pdf Phone Post 3.0

Tonight I was humbled by the 45lb bell and on ladder 2 I realized I'm not ready for it. I switched back to the 35lb and finished out the 5 mins of snatches with 40 total.

Non dominant hand grip is failing and my wrist is cocking backwards which won't be sustainable on heavier lifts or more volume. Any advice? Phone Post 3.0

Triple X Guard - Tonight I was humbled by the 45lb bell and on ladder 2 I realized I'm not ready for it. I switched back to the 35lb and finished out the 5 mins of snatches with 40 total.

Non dominant hand grip is failing and my wrist is cocking backwards which won't be sustainable on heavier lifts or more volume. Any advice? Phone Post 3.0

Is your grip failing on the snatches you were doing at the end or just the clean and presses?

I know that my grip starts to be a struggle when I do snatches with a 53lber, but clean and presses shouldn't be too demanding on your grip strength.

Steve Maxwells take on a snatch substitute

http://www.maxwellsc.com/maxwellsc2/articles.cfm?art_id=3130&startrow=1 Phone Post

Hurtsogood -
Triple X Guard - Tonight I was humbled by the 45lb bell and on ladder 2 I realized I'm not ready for it. I switched back to the 35lb and finished out the 5 mins of snatches with 40 total.

Is your grip failing on the snatches you were doing at the end or just the clean and presses?

I know that my grip starts to be a struggle when I do snatches with a 53lber, but clean and presses shouldn't be too demanding on your grip strength.
The grip was failing on snatches at the end of the workout. I feel like it's just a grip strength issue. I don't feel like I can grip as tightly with my non dominant hand making it more likely to move around. Phone Post 3.0

UGCTT_5 for fighting - Steve Maxwells take on a snatch substitute

http://www.maxwellsc.com/maxwellsc2/articles.cfm?art_id=3130&startrow=1 Phone Post
Good article. Thanks. Phone Post 3.0

Triple X Guard - 
Hurtsogood -

The grip was failing on snatches at the end of the workout. I feel like it's just a grip strength issue. I don't feel like I can grip as tightly with my non dominant hand making it more likely to move around. Phone Post 3.0

Yea, that's probably not that unusual. Maybe set the bell down or switch hands whenever your grip starts to fail so as to keep good form and not injure yourself.

Snatching is done only on the light day and for 50-60% of what you're capable of. eg if you could do sets of 10 each hand you'd do 5-6. Grip shouldn't be an issue doing 5-5 reps each hand with a 16.

You say you can't grip it tight enough. That is probably the problem. You don't want to grip it tight. In fact, you want to grip it as loosely as possible. KBs aren't like bars and DBs that have handles that spin around the weight. The KB handle needs to be able to spin in your hand. To allow that you need a loose, active grip that is constantly changing and adjusting to where the bell is right now.

At the top the hand can be very relaxed. (Don't open it, that's a bad habit and switches off some shoulder stability). Keep a loose grip on the bell. As you drop the bell you don't even need to hang onto it. It's in your hand but not gripped by your hand until the point where it reaches about chest high.

From chest high you can grip it and drag/ hike it back behind you. But, as you do this the bell will jump from the palm of your hand over your callus line and into your fingers. At the back of the backswing the handle of the bell will be mostly all resting on your index finger.(I've even got a callus on both hands just from this).

On the upswing the process is reversed - it goes from fingers and jumps across the calluses into the palm as you punch the hand through to finish the snatch. If you need to hang on tightly on the upswing it's because you're trying to pull it with your arms and not drive it with your hips. (Very common error). Take a look at the pics of Pavel demonstrating the snatch and notice how flat he gets and how deeply the bell is swung back. He's hypermobile and goes too far for most, but I will bet your backswing is not even close to as good.

Final point - snatching is easy if your swing is good. Somewhere in ETK pavel recommends not snatching at all for the first year of KB training. So don't stress too much if you're finding it problematic. If you're really after a fast fix go and spend some cash and pay for a session with a good RKC as they'll fix in a single hour what you might need months to get right.

I actually decided to take a step back and not rush progress. I went through the updated Program Minimum tonight and I'm going to spend some more time with that and the heavier bell before getting into RoP. Phone Post 3.0

bull neck - Snatching is done only on the light day and for 50-60% of what you're capable of. eg if you could do sets of 10 each hand you'd do 5-6. Grip shouldn't be an issue doing 5-5 reps each hand with a 16.

You say you can't grip it tight enough. That is probably the problem. You don't want to grip it tight. In fact, you want to grip it as loosely as possible. KBs aren't like bars and DBs that have handles that spin around the weight. The KB handle needs to be able to spin in your hand. To allow that you need a loose, active grip that is constantly changing and adjusting to where the bell is right now.

At the top the hand can be very relaxed. (Don't open it, that's a bad habit and switches off some shoulder stability). Keep a loose grip on the bell. As you drop the bell you don't even need to hang onto it. It's in your hand but not gripped by your hand until the point where it reaches about chest high.

From chest high you can grip it and drag/ hike it back behind you. But, as you do this the bell will jump from the palm of your hand over your callus line and into your fingers. At the back of the backswing the handle of the bell will be mostly all resting on your index finger.(I've even got a callus on both hands just from this).

On the upswing the process is reversed - it goes from fingers and jumps across the calluses into the palm as you punch the hand through to finish the snatch. If you need to hang on tightly on the upswing it's because you're trying to pull it with your arms and not drive it with your hips. (Very common error). Take a look at the pics of Pavel demonstrating the snatch and notice how flat he gets and how deeply the bell is swung back. He's hypermobile and goes too far for most, but I will bet your backswing is not even close to as good.

Final point - snatching is easy if your swing is good. Somewhere in ETK pavel recommends not snatching at all for the first year of KB training. So don't stress too much if you're finding it problematic. If you're really after a fast fix go and spend some cash and pay for a session with a good RKC as they'll fix in a single hour what you might need months to get right.

Voted up for great advice. I see so many ppl death grip the KB. This will limit the KB's ability to move/rotate freely which will make the KB manipulation portion (or even if you were cleaning) slow, which in turn may lead to increased impact on the wrist/forearm. Also a sure way to develop some mean calluses in the wrong spots, too.

The vertical snatch is less hip hinge/swing oriented but IMO requires more of a loose grip versus the swing based/curvilinear version.

Ttt Phone Post 3.0