Kron speaks against Gracie University

Stymie - 
12 - "The instructor he asked for an affiliation through is a black belt under Helio, and his last name is not Gracie"

helio gave out like 6 belts in 70 yrs,few have been given a stripe
All the Valentes got black belts and diplomas directly from Helio. Phone Post 3.0

yes,so how many is that?

BigEyedFish - 

one of my instructors (from the academy instructor program) got his purple from helio.  He was just at my school teaching seminars last weekend and told me himself

one of the few,i am talking bb's.getting his purple fantastic,cant take that away

i should have said outside the family,valentes are considered family.if you count them maybe 10

12 -
Stymie - 
12 - "The instructor he asked for an affiliation through is a black belt under Helio, and his last name is not Gracie"

helio gave out like 6 belts in 70 yrs,few have been given a stripe
All the Valentes got black belts and diplomas directly from Helio. Phone Post 3.0

yes,so how many is that?

Four. The purpose of your comment was to imply that angrypirate was incorrect. He is not incorrect. Our instructor received his BB from the Valente brothers. They received their BBs directly from Helio. Phone Post 3.0

getting your bb from gui is not getting a bb from helio.how is that incorrect?

ppl at torrance dont say they got a bb from helio.i can only think of a few that can say rorion gave them a bb.

The BB angrypirate was referring to is a Valente who received his BB from Helio. Neither he or I implied our instructor is a Helio BB. Our instructor is a Valente BB as I stated. Neither of us mentioned Gui. Phone Post 3.0

GU + D1 University of Phoenix wrestling = no can defend

You need serious bandwidth for that kind of street readiness. Phone Post 3.0

if helio only gave out 6 belts does that mean he was not a prolific instructor? or was he a poor instructor? Phone Post 3.0

who do the GU students roll with?

BigEyedFish - 

who do the GU students roll with?

The cable guy when the internet goes down ?

Stymie - The BB angrypirate was referring to is a Valente who received his BB from Helio. Neither he or I implied our instructor is a Helio BB. Our instructor is a Valente BB as I stated. Neither of us mentioned Gui. Phone Post 3.0

may mistake
thank you for the correction

12 -
Stymie - The BB angrypirate was referring to is a Valente who received his BB from Helio. Neither he or I implied our instructor is a Helio BB. Our instructor is a Valente BB as I stated. Neither of us mentioned Gui. Phone Post 3.0

may mistake
thank you for the correction

It's all good. I thought you were calling me a liar like that other guy. My misunderstanding. Phone Post 3.0

Does anyone have the list of "Helio Gracie" black belts?  Also would be cool to know how many red and black belts he awarded before he passed away.

Call me old school, but I feel you need to be with a live instructor and various students. I am pretty open minded and embrace technology, but while I do think there are benefits to be gain via online training, it should and can never replace real "classroom" experience. We are in a craft that requires minute tweaking and details, and while an online class may be somewhat thorough it can never be like having an instructor there in person to help "fix" details, nor do you have the experience of experimenting with different partners, and go through what we call "mat time" to hone one's skill. Even as a black belt I pick up details from my coach Marcelo Perdomo every time I attend his class.

All this said, I can't help but feel PrisonMattressPuncher is trolling us. If not, man I don't know, I just have to say I disagree with his perspective. Oh, someone mentioned GU brings more people to our "sport". Is that all we really want, more people? What happened to the "purity" of the art. I don't want this to be like Pilates or Yoga. While there are real Yoga practitioners and studios, I mean, how many are just probably watered down. I get it, especially if you are a business owner, but do we really want BJJ to be like that? I know it's headed there, but you know...

mario77 - if helio only gave out 6 belts does that mean he was not a prolific instructor? or was he a poor instructor? Phone Post 3.0

i dont know,but thats the # i remember him giving out when i asked him.how many bb's has he given out to ppl outside of family was my question.

he didnt understand english,so something could have been lost in translation

EvilGumby - I'd like to take a moment to address this constant scenario of "the untrained attacker" I keep reading about. In my experience, no one goes into a fight thinking they are going to lose. Meaning almost by definition your "attacker" thinks he is going to win because he is huge, or trained, or armed, or has buddies with him, etc.

For instance, Is the GU student going to be able to handle the 200 pound former 4 year high school wrestler who's a bit out of shape now at 23 but has been in 3 or 4 bar fights this year and tranes a little UFC in his garage with his buddies?

This is probably more likely a common "street fight scenario" than the phantom one people are preparing for. Regular grown up just don't get into street fights.

At least in a real academy and yes even in "sport tourneys" you've generally encountered the new guy/giant wrestler spazz and have some experience dealing with that energy in a controlled environment. I personally think all the GU guys training for SD would be in for a rude awakening if ever called upon to test their "SD skills".

And yes, I'll say it... "wouldn't handle it as well as a sport guy would."

why would you consider a 4 yr wrestler untrained?

to address 2nd,watch some youtube vids and chances are you will see more untrained then ppl with a skill set of and art

Tom Vadakan - Call me old school, but I feel you need to be with a live instructor and various students. I am pretty open minded and embrace technology, but while I do think there are benefits to be gain via online training, it should and can never replace real "classroom" experience. We are in a craft that requires minute tweaking and details, and while an online class may be somewhat thorough it can never be like having an instructor there in person to help "fix" details, nor do you have the experience of experimenting with different partners, and go through what we call "mat time" to hone one's skill. Even as a black belt I pick up details from my coach Marcelo Perdomo every time I attend his class.

All this said, I can't help but feel PrisonMattressPuncher is trolling us. If not, man I don't know, I just have to say I disagree with his perspective. Oh, someone mentioned GU brings more people to our "sport". Is that all we really want, more people? What happened to the "purity" of the art. I don't want this to be like Pilates or Yoga. While there are real Yoga practitioners and studios, I mean, how many are just probably watered down. I get it, especially if you are a business owner, but do we really want BJJ to be like that? I know it's headed there, but you know...

You make a very good point! However, the one thing I like about GU online training program is it is light years ahead of many schools in terms of programming. In other words, at least with the GU there is a pedagogical or teaching method and program that can be followed.

Let's face it, many Bjj schools lack a sensible learning curriculum and syllabus. There is no organization, no learning progression, nothing to help the student learn in gradual yet progressive way. The student is on their own in terms learning the art.

Unfortunately there are way too many Bjj schools where the head instructors/coaches lack any training in teaching the general public. Indeed, many Bjj instructors don't even have the necessary skills to be teachers... that is, they don't even know how to teach...let alone put together a learning program for their own students.

If anything, GU can serve as a model for how to actual teach a person Jiujitsu step by step.

m.g - 
Tom Vadakan - Call me old school, but I feel you need to be with a live instructor and various students. I am pretty open minded and embrace technology, but while I do think there are benefits to be gain via online training, it should and can never replace real "classroom" experience. We are in a craft that requires minute tweaking and details, and while an online class may be somewhat thorough it can never be like having an instructor there in person to help "fix" details, nor do you have the experience of experimenting with different partners, and go through what we call "mat time" to hone one's skill. Even as a black belt I pick up details from my coach Marcelo Perdomo every time I attend his class.

You make a very good point! However, the one thing I like about GU online training program is it is light years ahead of many schools in terms of programming. In other words, at least with the GU there is a pedagogical or teaching method and program that can be followed.

Let's face it, many Bjj schools lack a sensible learning curriculum and syllabus. There is no organization, no learning progression, nothing to help the student learn in gradual yet progressive way. The student is on their own in terms learning the art.

Unfortunately there are way too many Bjj schools where the head instructors/coaches lack any training in teaching the general public. Indeed, many Bjj instructors don't even have the necessary skills to be teachers... that is, they don't even know how to teach...let alone put together a learning program for their own students.

If anything, GU can serve as a model for how to actual teach a person Jiujitsu step by step.

Hey m.g, I hear what you are saying. I know Ryron and Rener are really excellent teachers and GA is really good at putting together a curriculum. Honestly, I still feel they have the best fundamentals program from brand new practitioners. I started there many years ago, so I understand that. That all said, I'm still not sure what the best way to learn this art is... I really don't think it should be too academic, too curriculum or syllabus oriented. I know some people really like to learn that way, but I'm not convinced that gets you "there". While we all want to think of learning academically, there is that "X" factor.... I personally feel there is a balance.... you definitely roll and compete better by being in a place that rolls and competes a lot. Just that hard mat time.... but, it's not all about that. One must know how to teach, have strong basics, etc, which I suppose is more academic. I do feel a lot of new practitioners get lost because of the lack of curriculum in many schools, but from my experience as one gets past say blue belt, I don't think our training should be too curriculum based.... I don't know. I view a lot of what we do as a boxer or a kickboxer, you do your time, work with your teammates and coaches.... It's a fighting activity and while there is a lot of techniques to learn, I just don't think it's all about academia... There is a balance for sure and no place is going to have it perfect... I don't think. I do feel strongly that the mat is our lab... we should experiment, some things will fail, while other times you will discover something....

Lastly, I'm not knocking GU at all. I'm sure the courses a excellent, but I feel it should be a supplement, like instructional DVD's and it should never be the main course in which you learn and most of all in how you get promoted.

12 - 
EvilGumby - I'd like to take a moment to address this constant scenario of "the untrained attacker" I keep reading about. In my experience, no one goes into a fight thinking they are going to lose. Meaning almost by definition your "attacker" thinks he is going to win because he is huge, or trained, or armed, or has buddies with him, etc.

For instance, Is the GU student going to be able to handle the 200 pound former 4 year high school wrestler who's a bit out of shape now at 23 but has been in 3 or 4 bar fights this year and tranes a little UFC in his garage with his buddies?

This is probably more likely a common "street fight scenario" than the phantom one people are preparing for. Regular grown up just don't get into street fights.

At least in a real academy and yes even in "sport tourneys" you've generally encountered the new guy/giant wrestler spazz and have some experience dealing with that energy in a controlled environment. I personally think all the GU guys training for SD would be in for a rude awakening if ever called upon to test their "SD skills".

And yes, I'll say it... "wouldn't handle it as well as a sport guy would."

why would you consider a 4 yr wrestler untrained?

to address 2nd,watch some youtube vids and chances are you will see more untrained then ppl with a skill set of and art

On the 4 year wrestler, that's my point. I'm getting at "WHO is really going to attack you unarmed?" The phantom scenario that the GU implies is so likely is in fact not very likely in this day and age. That was my point in saying that "grown ups don't get into street fights".

This isn't 1990 anymore, everyone's seen the UFC. People that are assaulting people "in da streetz yo" have likely been in fights before. And young, athletic, violent males have normally messed around with some type of training "for fun" in someone's garage or basement as well. I think the GU program people would be in for the same rude awakening that the karate blackbelts in the suburban dojos of the 90's would be when they encountered actual violence.

They are likely to be unprepared for the energy and intensity of the initial clash and will most likely not be as effective as their sport BJJ counterpart.