Laimon vs Ryron results!

Ryron could not score on Marc. The only scoring he got was the special reward you get for keeping someone in your guard for 3 minutes! He did not score from a sweep, takedown, mount, or pass. He got points for holding Marc in his guard! ahaha

It is comical to say that Marc held on fo dear life. I see it as a very calculated well thought out game plan by Marc. He beat the Gracies with their own catered rules and time limits. HE BEAT THEM AT THEIR OWN GAME!

Marc was very well in control and seemed to know what he was doing. He was a brilliant stratigist and technically (this day) the better grappler.

Marc was not gassing. I have seen him fight many times and he always seems to be the heavy breather and sweats a lot. But his strength, balance, base, technique are always there. I think if it would have gone another 10 minutes he would have been fine.

I am very interested to see what Rorion has to say about the match.

~grapplechaun

Go Laimon! Kill 'em all, tiger

sounds like a great match

the reversal in 3 minutes and getting as point is a joke

If Gracie got his points from twice holding Laimon in guard for over 3 minutes, and this never happened to Laimon (and he didn't get a point "scored" on him),it sounds more like Gracie was stalling if anything.

congrats to marc. and its a shame that they tried to change the rules on marc right before the match. that is wrong. and i feel bad for ryron because he is a good kid and very talented. marc proves once again that he's one of THE best in the world.

ttt

if the gracies wanted it to be an hour with no points and laimon said what ever you want. how did it end up being 20 minutes with points?

TTT for the Rorion's spin

It seemed that there were people in the crowd that were Gracie
supporters, I think probably mostly because of the name. Then when
the special Gracie rules were enacted and they switched positions or
did the coin flip, they were confused by what was going on. We
explained the rules to the people around us and they were all even
more confused and became very quiet. Okay...so let's fight, and then
wait...flip a coin....

I'm sure Helio wanted no time limits or points because traditionally thatis how the family trains, and he felt that Ryron would eventually wear him down and win via sub. Who knows if that would have happened or not.

However, it isn't fair to Laimon or any competitor to try and change the rules, in this case time limits, just before the match. When you are training for a fight, you generally roll/spar with opponents switching in and out against you, at the time limit that you are training for. For example, if you are training for an MMA match, you would spar with someone for 5 min, stop, have a fresh opponent come in, go with them for 5, etc. You would train differently for a no time limit match.

Since the Gracies typically like to train for no-limit matches, this was their strategy, I am sure. Good for Marc for not giving in and winning despite the head games.

I am generally a Gracie fan, I love what their family has done for the sport, and respect their accomplishments, but they seem to pull some shit at every tournament they organize. Something similar happened to my coach JD Shelley at the Arnold's.

I am far from a Gracie basher, but it is just silly what goes on. But let's not dwell on that, and congratulate Laimon on his win!

ttt

I just watched the PPV as well...First of all props to Marc for the takedown, pass, and rolling out of the leglock attempts...now, I'm not partial to either fighter, I just wanted to see a good match, but by the end of the match I was really frustrated with Marc, he just didn't want to engage for the last 10-15 minutes.

They'd stand without any action, get the match moved to the ground, then if Marc was on the bottom he'd push off Ryron and stand up to burn another 3 minutes...If Marc was on top he'd just back off and stall standing again...

A few times Marc would just sit in Ryron's guard not trying anything from the top. As most of you know, if you're on the bottom it's hard to do anything if the guy on top isn't trying to even pass

My overall impression: Marc knew the rules of the game, scored his points, then waited out for the win. A win? Yes. Convincing? Not by any means. This should have been a no time limit submission only match, it would have been way more exciting.

Does anyone think Marc has better Jiu-Jitsu than Ryron after watching the match? Am I the only one who noticed that Marc didn't go for one submission in 20 minutes, and that he refused to stay on the ground with Ryron until the last 30 second when he just held his shirt. I know this is nogi, and not BJJ so it could be argued that he has better all around grappling. But does anyone really think he showed that he has better jiu-jitsu that ryron? Maybe if he hadn't ran and stayed on his feet and stalled the whole match we could have seen some of his jiu-jitsu. Maybe next time.

I agree with Jackel...

Jackel is correct

I to would agree with Jackel, My partner Favi Chulo and I were right up front, and it looked to us that although the rules were "special" Ryron did look for the submisson time and time again. The crowd was crazy and you could hardly breathe in that building. Props to Brian for one hell of a show.

. . . and this is why the Gracies want no time limit, no point matches.

"Does anyone think Marc has better Jiu-Jitsu than Ryron after watching the match? Am I the only one who noticed that Marc didn't go for one submission in 20 minutes, and that he refused to stay on the ground with Ryron until the last 30 second when he just held his shirt. I know this is nogi, and not BJJ so it could be argued that he has better all around grappling. But does anyone really think he showed that he has better jiu-jitsu that ryron?"

If Ryron had better JJ then Marc then why all the special rules? These were rules dictated by Rorion for his son's advantage. I assure you Marc wanted to press the fight to the ground. But if he did and Ryron were to stall for three minutes then Wooo hooo Ryron gets a point for holding Marc in his guard. This happened twice. After the 2nd time you see Marc change his stratagy. Was Marc the better grappler? There is no way we could tell with those silly rules. Was Marc the smarter grappler? ABSOLUTLY!!

Did Marc beat Ryron? debatable... Did Marc beat Rorion? Absolutly!!

*Disclaimer
I happen to really like the young gracies and I always look forward to watching them fight. Just not under silly specialty rules.

~Grapplechaun

If by all the special rules you mean a lot less rules that promote looking for submission, then yes, the rules were special.