Lyoto Machida: Old School Karate

Jack Slack should write a book. Seriously.

VU for Kolsyrade -- great stuff man, thanks. I was aware of Oyama's background so I was a little disappointed - but I enjoyed the theory and history sections.

Wheeey! The trip turned up! Lovely stuff.

e. kaye - 

In Shotokan the mechanics of 'how' you take a step forward are geared toward throwing, sweeping and disrupting your opponents stance.

So that is different from the other tradional (ie; non-full contact/kyokushin type karate

. Phone Post

Wasa-b

The trips in Shotokan have been developed (IMO) thru the years and tribulations of traditional tournament conmpetition and class kumite training. Phone Post 3.0

Newaza freak - Wasa-b

The trips in Shotokan have been developed (IMO) thru the years and tribulations of traditional tournament conmpetition and class kumite training. Phone Post 3.0

Is this diff to the other karate though?

Other karate

Shotokan guys like to disquise sweeps with strikes beforehand and also like to disguise strikes with sweeps before actual the actual strikes. Phone Post 3.0

Weird both my posts cannot show the word "

IMO,Machida is always constantly feinting between the two. Phone Post 3.0

Newaza freak - Shotokan guys like to disquise sweeps with strikes beforehand and also like to disguise strikes with sweeps before actual the actual strikes. Phone Post 3.0

Someone used to call sweeps the jab of judo back in my judo days

Well, Kyokushin ..I believe also has the same type of mixture but the focus or intent is not soley based on timming plus speed for maximin result like it is in shotokan.

I think that's the whole essence of shotokan. Phone Post 3.0

Jabs of judo ,

Sounds about right..lol Phone Post 3.0

Judo type sweeps work better with striking combos because they are quicker than full body judo throws.

The full throws naturally need some sort of clinch first. Phone Post 3.0

Newaza freak - Judo type sweeps work better with striking combos because they are quicker than full body judo throws.

The full throws naturally need some sort of clinch first. Phone Post 3.0

exactly. Akiyama was able to catch Shields with full throws coming in off distance closing (rather spectacularly as well) but if the throw fails you may be out of position because you needed to committ your body in a different way than if you miss a sweep or strike, you are more likely to be in position for something else.

In judo as well, you sometimes sweep or hack at a leg en route to getting your grip which is similar to sweeping first in a karate exchange to set up a punch.

Exactly Phone Post 3.0

Newaza freak - Well, Kyokushin ..I believe also has the same type of mixture but the focus or intent is not soley based on timming plus speed for maximin result like it is in shotokan.

I think that's the whole essence of shotokan. Phone Post 3.0

Right, where i think you can see the whole ishigeki or setting up a big punch Machida where as Kyokushin is more continuous fighting and fighting in closer range right?

Do you recall when GSP said his td success in MMA comes from his karate/kyokushin days? I think this threw a lot of people off but i thought GSP was maybe saying that he times strikes to set up distance closing? But then i thought that would be more likely in theory mechanically from a more Shotokan like where they are fighting further apart then work to close those distances on those big lunging attacks. With Kyokushin, when they are fighting "in the pocket" so often, not sure how GSP developed that....

Jack Slack - 
NCar - Hey Jack SLack, I absolutely love all of your articles. Since you're an expert on striking, what would successful okinawan karate look like in mma, specifically goju ryu or uechi ryu?

Woah there :P definitely not an expert.

I think Goju and Uechi Ryu both utilize a lot of in close stuff which is pretty rudimentary compared to actual wrestling and judo. So I doubt the traditional techniques would be that effective.

But equally I would be FASCINATED to see a good toe kick in MMA. Genki Sudo went to train in Okinawa after he left MMA and wrote a book about it, apparently he asked someone to kick him in the stomach with the toe tips (an Uechi Ryu trademark and something they spend years developing) and apparently a light brush put him on the floor in agony.

If you could condition your toes the ridiculous amount that serious Uechi Ryu guys do, you could put people in agony. Imagine doing what Kikuno does to pro fighters, but worse.

Kikuno does toe kicks quite often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2DLv0B0NxA

toe kicks will be something in MMA...