m hughes vs cung lee in san shou

I like how people are like no way he wouldn't be used to this or that. Can you not imagine a situation where Matt might actually train for the fight in question, and thus get used to those elements?

San Shou is like a weird version of basketball expect nobody is allowed to handle the ball in the key.

"HardHittingHeeb"...

Your posts come off as trolls for a number of reasons. Let's examine just a few

1. You claim to have beat up some "push hands champions"... did you also go to the sandbox and kick sand in the eyes of the 5 year olds? IE, "push hands", expecially in this country, has about as much to do with fighting as old guys in the park playing chess... I hope those aren't your only credentials

2. Let's examine your actual post

"Hughes would slam Cung Le unconscious"

You base this upon what exactly? Have you ever trained with Cung? Do you have any idea who he has fought? Or even what grappling background he has?

"I don't see Cung taking him down"

See the above question. Have you ever wrestled with Cung? On what exactly are you basing these absurd claims? Rather than toss out "throw aways" why not share with us your experiences and training in combat sports and how you come to these conclusions. IE argue your case, because otherwise, you are trolling

"and I don't see his strikes being something Hughes hasn't seen before"

Have you ever sparred with Cung? He kicks like a mule. He also has very unorthodox striking. Again, we're talking about San Shou, "m hughes vs cung le in san shou"... a MMA fight is very different. But in San Shou, every time Matt gets a takedown, BAM, they're on their feet again and thus Cung has a chance again to kick or punch him... People in San Shou know this is the danger, get 7 takedowns on on the 8th try get KO'd

"If you've ever seen someone with decent greco wrestling and bjj in their background enter a judo tournament, and win, without having any judo knowledge, you'll understand how Hughes would win."

So, enlighten us, how many non-Judo people have entered a world tournament or the olympics and won a medal in Judo? Someone "decent" go in there and clean house with the top athletes in another sport?

It is absurd. Again, we're talking about San Shou, "m hughes vs cung le in san shou" is the title of the thread... a MMA fight is very different.

Cung Le is elite level in San Shou. He's entered AND medaled in three world championships. The only guys to beat him have won the world title. Cung's first loss was to Ramazonov, who won the world title THREE TIMES.

So argue your case with some facts before you announce "case closed"....

Oh, and LMFAO at eiuwrestler174 who lost to Cung badly after Cung came off more than a year of inactivity and two major surgeries... some people can't lose gracefully

Okay Cung Le is a better wrester than Hughes... anyone disputing that is an obvious troll in your eyes.

If that's your thinking there's nothing that can be said to you, but the fact is Hughes would beat Cung through the same takedown loopholes Cung uses, over and over again. Hughes has never gassed and the only time he's been knocked out was by Pele and that was with considerably less padding than San Shau uses. Did you see the chin he demonstrated against Trigg in their second fight? Hughes would massacre Cung, CASE CLOSED. GAME SET AND MATCH.

San Shau is a small sport compared to wrestling, with a far smaller talent base. Not to say it isn't a respectable martial art in its own right, in fact I might pick it up myself in the next few months, just that being a world champ in it doesn't mean that much.

The judo example was meant to illustrate the value of cross training in other martial arts like hughes has done. If you know judo - you'd know that people with strong wrestling backgrounds (especially greco) do great in it once they get around the nuances of the gi. They might never do trips and uchimatas on a world class level (after all judo has a HUGE talent base), but their pickups and newaza abilities can be pretty elite very quickly. And when they stick to what they know they win many tournaments with "that's not judo" echoing from their opponent's coaches.

Hughes would get owned. In MMA, all he needs is one takedown and he can smother his opponent. In San shou, he just gets stood up and he has to trade all match long. San shou , like every combat sport is an art in itself.

"HardHittingHeeb"...

More troll like posting, ie rather than dealing with facts and the issues at hand you just throw out on-liners

"Okay Cung Le is a better wrester than Hughes..."

I asked you a direct question, based upon what do you estimate Cung's wrestling skill? Do you have any first hadn experience with Cung? Like say, me?

But more importantly, as I pointed out, we're talking about wrestling in a specific format. That format is San Shou.

You haven't disputed any facts. You've just thrown out blind opinions.

In fact, you've shown that you have NO GRASP OF ANY FACTS

Like here

"the only time he's (Hughes) been knocked out was by Pele and that was with considerably less padding than San Shau uses."

Apparently you don't realize that pro san shou uses NO PADDING

Methinks that after a Hughes slam or two he'd pretty much have Cung Le hurt and tired, it not out.

But the stand-up factor is interesting.

It's certainly open to discussion, but discussion doesn't equal uninformed one liners based upon nothing substantial

cung won a decision without putting a mark on my face. He scored one legit takedown after catching a mid kick of mine. The other two takedowns were given to him by the referee. Once, I put my knee to the mat on a shot, the other, I touched a glove to the mat while holding a single leg. How he was awarded the wrestling score in all 5 rounds, with only three takedowns is beyond me.

He put a mark on my right thigh, and it hurt for two weeks after. He limped out of the arena the same as I did, and I still kick like a girl.

damage to leg--8 of 10
damage to body--2 of 10
damage to head-- 1 of 10
so besides the leg kicks, what did he do to me?
he decisioned me in his home venue, his hometown.

Impressive, utterly impressive. I mean, I don't think I'd even want to be in the same building with him, he mauled me so badly.

And yes, the poor guy had a one year lay off. I hadn't fought for 6 months myself, and I've never fought kickboxing or san shou (before or since that fight)

Watch the video, and tell me he how impressive he is.

This thread is disgusting, to act like he could even hang with matt. Hughes would tko cung with takedowns.
Watch Cung try to throw me in my fight, and the result. He didn't move me in a clinch. You really think he could move Hughes.

Again, past his prime, or severely overrated.

Cung Le vs. you....

i stttand by my inital post

watch the video please, and I stand by mine as well

From the pictures alone we can see you are full of it

I quote you exactly as you posted above

"He scored one legit takedown after catching a mid kick of mine. The other two takedowns were given to him by the referee"

Only one legit takedown? And it was off a kick?

Sure does look legit, and it looks like a whizzer...

I notice you backed away from the "he didn't kick my body at all" claim you posted before, I guess after I posted

I love how you guys are attacking/laughing at a guy for losing to cung le in his only kickboxing/san shau match ever. I assume Cung Le broke the neophyte's jaw and orbitals and shins otherwise that's a perfect example of how overrated cung le is. And I still respect Cung, just think Matt would destroy him.

If eiu wrestled with both guys, he does have an accurate assessment of who's better. Said he took Hughes down twice in two years that says a lot. I know Cung was an excellent wrestler but he's no farmboy.

In terms of padding btw, I was referring to the padding of the gloves.

Dude, we're "laughing" if that's what you want to call it because the guy LOST and shows no class or dignity in it...

He's an excuse machine! If he wasn't prepared for the fight why did he take it? Not to mention, BEFORE the fight he assured this very forum he was gonna embarass Cung...

cung didn't get a takedown from that photo (whizzer pic). like i said watch the video. If I had a cameraman snap a pic each time i went on the offensive, it would look bad for Cung if they were posted. Same would be true for any fight over 5 minutes.
I see nobody posted a pic of me on top of cung when he tried throwing me. Or pics of me landing cross, after cross to his melon. So have your one sided view, just don't ask me to do the same.

For the record, I never said Cung didn't throw any kicks to my body, but he didn't hurt anyone.

No excuse for the decision. I know I had to do more to win it here in San Jose. But to act like Cung was dominant that night, and to even imagine him standing in front of matt hughes without shaking is friggin retarded.

BTW, Cung was embarassed that night, reputable sources say

CUNG LE IS GOOD AT WHAT HE DOES  SAN SHOU, BUT MMA,  IS A DIFFERENT STORY. HE WOULD'NT WANT TO GET HIT WITH THE 4 0z GLOVES.  I FOUGHT HIM ALREADY, MY FIRST TIME TRYING THAT STYLE. I LOST A 4 ROUND DECISION TO HIM.  HE PICKS GUYS THAT HAVE NEVER DONE SAN SHOU. HEY MAN CANT KNOCK A GUY THATS INVENTED HIS OWN STYLE. IT'S WORKING FOR HIM. GOT SOME PICTURES OF HIM & MYSELF ON MY WEBSITE www.unbreakablegym.com TAKE CARE & GOD BLESS!     

Brian Warren

ahhhh... so this is the famous Brian Warren that's constantly shown on ESPN fighting Cung Le. Good effort, but it wasn't really much of a fight.

There have been previous posts stating a well-rounded MMA fighter would take out Le at his own game. Certainly wasn't the case with Mr. Warren, but then again I'm not really sure what your MMA background is.

"you guys are attacking/laughing at a guy for losing to cung le"

I'm not "attacking" Brian. I just find it distasteful to talk badly about a guy who beat you by unanamous decision.

"HE PICKS GUYS THAT HAVE NEVER DONE SAN SHOU."

How many professional sanshou fighters do you know? He's a pro and he needs pro fights. The majority of American san shou/sanda fighters are amateurs, so he's gotta fight pro guys from Muay thai, MMA, etc.

and once again. When Cung was fighting as an amateur against world competiton, he was still dominating.

Matt is just not much of a striker and that is much more important in San Shou than MMA.

Also you only have a few seconds in the clinch to score a takedown.