Machida responds to Sonnen

This would be a GREAT fight. I just don't know if the UFC will put it together because they likely want to to put Chael in a 185 fight, and if he wins, a huge moneymaking rematch with Anderson Silva as soon as possible.

I got Machida all the way, this is a good match up for him.

the amount of trolling that goes on here is just off the charts. Chael is trolling too but I really doubt he wants to move up in weight or take on Lyoto

Chael really needs to pick on guys he can take down and keep down.

A fighter like Lyoto with amazing take down defense and ability to get back up means Chael is going to sleep.

Chael would be waking up with a flashlight in his face like a strobe light club party in brazil Phone Post

TopGrinder - Now time to reap the rewards of a big paycheck

You spelled "raep" wrong.

jct71 - He has TALKED his way into more solid fights off of a very weak resume, I will give him that. Machida would end the hype for good though. Chael sleeps in this one. LOL @ Chael via TKO over anyone, much less Machida.

Agreed Phone Post

JBob300 - machida is only normally taken down through judo throws or in the clinch, his wrestling defense in addition to his footwork and distance would have chael shitting his diaper.

Sonnen is a pretty well rounded takedown artist. His clinchwork is good, like his outside takedowns (disregard the bizarro-world Maia incident, i suppose).

Machida would smash sonnens skull.

PLEASE MAKE THIS FIGHT.

Hopefully chael would retire after.

The fight is happening at UFC 136

Rip chael. Again. Phone Post

Machida crane kicks Couture and everyone is on his bandwagon again. For people who say this is Machida's for sure or he's better in all areas.....seriously, stop kidding yourselves. People were basically saying the same thing when Sonnen fought Silva.....won't be able to back up his talk, can't strike with him, won't be able to get close to him to get him down, etc. The fact is he more than held his own with the by most people's accounts, the best striker in MMA. If I'm not mistaken, he almost dropped him at one point. Sure, he got caught with a submission late in the fifth, but he did what most people thought was not possible against Silva. Chael has something to prove and I think he takes this one by ground and pound tko. Machida won't be able to deal with his pressure.

Couture couldn't take Machida down.

Hope Chael doesn't take the fight, since he will lose (badly) and he may get cut.

Carne de cavalo é o melhor - Couture couldn't take Machida down.

Hope Chael doesn't take the fight, since he will lose (badly) and he may get cut.

Sonnen is a better wrestler than Randy and he's not 46 or 47...however old Randy is. Randy's more of a Greco where he needs to get a hold of you to take you down. Sonnen might double leg him through the cage.

thedoom - Machida has never faced anyone like Sonnen there's no reason to think he wouldn't get dumped on his head

Machida would take Sonnen down. Take the roids outta sonnen's game = no chance in hell especially moving up a weight class. Machida will monster Sonnen, will embaress Sonnen and will put a stop to Sonnen's UFC career.

1. Machida has only submitted 2 people in his entire career.

2. Chael has never been clean KO'd in his entire career (1 TKO to Horn via cuts, 1 TKO to Bailey due to corner stoppage, both in 2004).

Machida takes this easy.

thedoom - Machida has never faced anyone like Sonnen there's no reason to think he wouldn't get dumped on his head

Sonnen hasn't faced anyone like machida Phone Post

So much Sonnen haters. Chael almost beat Silva. You gotta be a top fighter to even win a round against Silva.

Better Mouse Trap - Sonnen is so overrated its ridiculous. He needs to start from the bottom up after the shit he put Zuffa through

This.

Machida's TDD is way too good for this to be a competitive fight. Sonnen VS. Shogun however is somewhat compelling.

TheCatDaddy - So much Sonnen haters. Chael almost beat Silva. You gotta be a top fighter to even win a round against Silva.

it's not hate, it's just reality

Not sure what this will really do for Machida's career. Sonnen losing wouldn't be good for MW as it would be harder to market a rematch with Anderson. Give Sonnen Santiago (credible challenge since he has solid BJJ).