misunderstanding my online ranking system....

Lumbricus terrestris - 
I was told by a pretty prominent west coast BB who trains under the rigan that belts are much easier to get over there now. I'm glad I'm on the east coast where getting 'just a purple' still means a lot.

In all fairness when more and more Black/brown belts started teaching it would naturally become alot easier to get ranking in BJJ. Come to podunk Oklahoma where there are no Black/brown belts teaching BJJ.

Evolution and different styles are AT THE VERY CORE of BJJ.

Every BJJ student is encouraged to find their own style.

This is why I think it is complete and utter bs to call what Eddie Bravo does an evolution of BJJ.
How can you evolve away from something that is already constantly evolving???

What 10th Planet does, is actually ENCOURAGING their students to LIMITING themselves on their set of techniques.

So it is in fact less than complete, not a real system at all.

First let me say that I am an Eddie Bravo fan...with that being said, take a look at one of these "affiliates"....

myspace search "Jits Supremacy" or simply go to the Alabama UG and check out the thread by the same name.

The affiliate thing plus the video stuff equals a bad idea IMO.

"Damn good technique bro. I cant wait to train with you guys. Bravo jujatsu is way better than that old gracie stuff "

"Not an affiliate but we mixing in the online training with Brandon Quick 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu! We are working that way and Brandon has been a great help ! "

it's too bad the sport is about money these days, well at least a few of the them care about the art

Darcebrabo, what's up bro? I can't vouch for Ari, since I never sparred with him. I know someone who is pretty good who did spar with him and he told me that Ari's skills are pretty decent. He's no phenom by any stretch of the imagination, but not a joke either. That's about all I know.

Louis Ho - Darcebrabo, what's up bro? I can't vouch for Ari, since I never sparred with him. I know someone who is pretty good who did spar with him and he told me that Ari's skills are pretty decent. He's no phenom by any stretch of the imagination, but not a joke either. That's about all I know.

This seems to be the problem though. Either 10th p peeps don't respond to Ari threads at all, or it's "i've never rolled with him, but know someone who has..."

Sparring with him is like spotting big foot. No one has ever done it, but heard of someone who knows someone that might have. Isn't that a problem? Eddie won't defend Ari, and it doesn't seem like any legitimate 10thp purple/brown will either (or can't).

12 - 
var so = new SWFObject("http://www.youtube.com/v/xVAOP2qZmwI&hl=en&fs=1", "postVideo-25896681-Flash", "425", "355", "9.0.28", "##000"); so.addParam("allowScriptAccess", "samedomain"); so.addParam("allowNetworking", "internal"); so.addParam("wmode", "transparent"); so.write("postVideo-25896681"); "Damn good technique bro. I cant wait to train with you guys. Bravo jujatsu is way better than that old gracie stuff "

"Not an affiliate but we mixing in the online training with Brandon Quick 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu! We are working that way and Brandon has been a great help ! "

I will onlnine grade this guy to a belt....

a big freaking belt...like size 54.

why all the hate for Ari?  is it because he posts a lot of vids or is it people don't think he's a legit purple?

he has vids posted of him rolling with eddie.

Am I the only one sick of this?

There are dozens of high profile jiu jitsu schools out there right now, but I get hit with advertising for the 10th planet "revolution" more than any other.

Fair enough. Except as far as I can tell, this entire system thing seems shady. Every time I ask a question on a site with 10th planet instructors all of them run for cover.

If I do get a response from a 10th planet associate it will have something to do with...

A) My gi worship (I am better without the gi)
B) My fear of revolution (laugable, since most BJJ guys are always looking for the next big thing)
C) Hate/Jealousy (I don't want the attention 10pJJ guys bring themselves.

If 10th planet is truly special than it should be able to back up its claims. If not, than it's just a submission grappling gym that embellishes its claims.

I don't care either way, I just don't like being bullshited.

I can see how a system like this could potentially be abused, but I don't see how it's different from bjj schools that don't have belt tests.

My coach is not a black belt. To promote me, he tells his coach who is a black belt to promote me. I completely trust my coach though, and my coach's coach trusts him in turn to make the right decision about who is ready to be promoted. Is eddie's online promotion all that different? (with the assumption that eddie can completely trust all his purple/brown belt affiliates.)

Aren't there some schools out there that allow purple/brown belts to promote their students? This doesn't sound any different than that. It's just eddie's purple belt vouching for a white belt, eddie watches the video, agrees, and moves on.

I think it "sounds" really shitty when you say "online promotion." I personally wouldn't want to be promoted that way. Logistically speaking though, I don't really see a big difference from how things already are.

Calibur1980 - Eddie, I am really hoping you can clear something up for me.

I've always felt that the difference between brazillian Jiu jitsu and other grappling arts is it's heirachy of positional dominance.

For instance, in Judo a pin for over 25 seconds gets you the win, where as in BJJ knee on belly, full mount and side mount all mean different things. The game has never been about the moves themselves.

That's why it's not really fair to call an armbar in Judo a BJJ move, or a takedown in BJJ a wrestlers shot. For the most part it is about grappling, and the rules make the game. Not the moves, and not the mentallity.

I've always figured that is why Ricardo DeLaRiva doesn't call his style a system or why PeDePano doesn't call his moves a system.

I've read all your books, and as far as I can tell, your general concepts are the same as typical BJJ concepts. Take away space on offence, create space on defence, break posture, go for subs, etc. You say you add more details with things like over and underhooks, but when do details like those stop being good ideas, and start being new systems. For instance, Carlos Machado offers dozens of tips and details that help me out grappling wise. Can his grappling be considered a new system?

So to clarify, most people would agree that moves do not make for a grappling style, and that seems to be what you use to set your system apart and give people belts for. Knowing moves. BJJ being pretty comprehensive some people will use over/ unders, some will use double wrist control. Choosing one instead of another doesn't really make for a new system IMO. It's just preference, and at the end of the day we are in a competitive sport where the most efficienct technique wins.

That said, you say that your main reason for offering online testing is in order to provide an avenue to guys who are grappling in a traditional Brazillian Jiu jitsu school. After taking my points into consideration why do you think it's neccessary to provide a seperate belt rank to people who are already training with a qualified instructor? Hypothetically if one of those guys trained BJJ for 5 years without ever taking off the gi, he would still go into the advanced division if he competed nogi. Could you still justify giving them a seperate belt for doing moves that you like?

Thanks for reading.

boooring - var so = new SWFObject("http://www.youtube.com/v/sH5qf1t7uAI&hl=en&fs=1", "postVideo-25899114-Flash", "425", "355", "9.0.28", "##000"); so.addParam("allowScriptAccess", "samedomain"); so.addParam("allowNetworking", "internal"); so.addParam("wmode", "transparent"); so.write("postVideo-25899114"); why all the hate for Ari?  is it because he posts a lot of vids or is it people don't think he's a legit purple?

he has vids posted of him rolling with eddie.

Do you train BJJ at all? What you see being portrayed there in that video by the tall blonde dude is NOT purple belt level Jiu Jitsu. I'm really disappointed in Eddie letting that dude by a Purple Shirt like that. I have friends that train at the 10PJJ HQ that are purple shirts, and they look ALOT better than that fraud.

Eddie, its hard for people to respect what your trying to do with your online ranking when you have Ari Bolden parading around wearing a Purple Shirt. Granting him permission to wear a Blue Shirt would've been one thing, but he skipped white and blue and jumped straight to Purple. Purple is supposed to be the belt where guys are advanced, and are actually pretty damn good. Ari on the other hand is pretty damn bad.

Getting a belt online is like paying to get sucked off by a toothless crack whore in the alley behind the dumpster, instead of investing the time and effort to get a real woman or girl.

Not that real women aren't expensive themselves....

And no disrespect meant to any women who pursue the oldest profession in the world.

Ben

This thread is getting out of hand!!!

1. Eddie calls it 10th planet JJ jiujitsu!

2. Its his, and now his students expression of their jj
which is still heaped in the basics of bjj, just totally readjusted for no gi via grips, control points, methodolgies etc..

2.5 with 10thplanet, u are getting authentic pure no gi! with bjj u are getting gi jj based no gi, which is cool, but not if the instructor is totally oblivious to no gi as its own up and coming entity. alot of the times u get a bjj instructor teaching no gi still using gi gripping tactics and it doesnt work as efficiently or it could be higher %age. Marcelo garcia is the one guy who has transferred his gi into a pure no gi game with the right modifications to grips. i seen him testing new grips specifically tailored for max efficiency for no gi, eddie did the same!!!!

3. the principles i studied from the 10th planet stuff have upped my percentages greatly from every position. my high guard game is tighter, slicker than ever by just applying some of the 10thplanet tenets, leg squeezing and leg curls, locking in the shoulder, etc. etc.

4. Every high ranking bjj player has his or her own game, techniques they developed further for themselves, created, adjusted, named for there own identification, eddie just happened to expose his stuff to the public and is getting reamed. Take it or leave it, u fucks! it helped my game like crazy!!!!!

5. Why all the Ari bashing? Dont act like yall cant learn nothing from his videos. purple or not, he is blackbelt in japanese jj and has the mind for jj . Get off his sac already, he is contributing to ur learning whether u decide to take it or not!

^^^ haha

"Marcelo garcia is the one guy who has transferred his gi into a pure no gi game with the right modifications to grips."

LOL @ this horsehit statement, Marcelo is definitely NOT the only guy that can transfre Gi to NoGi. Try looking up Abu Dhabi results ANY year and you will get a laundry list of incredble GI players owning the top spots...

NEXT

NoPeriphery - 
5. Why all the Ari bashing? Dont act like yall cant learn nothing from his videos. purple or not, he is blackbelt in japanese jj and has the mind for jj . Get off his sac already, he is contributing to ur learning whether u decide to take it or not!

QFT. Even though Ari is a fraudulent BB in JJJ (we traced his background), and claimed to have been teaching BJJ 3yrs prior to him starting his Youtube channel (which started in 2006), it doesnt matter, because i have ALOT that I can learn from that fraud. Just look in the above video how he passes the guard without securing an underhook. Thats awesome.

Shen, sorry bro, but i'm tendering my resignation to the Shen BJJ Online E-Mail academy to join Ari's association so I can be JUST LIKE HIM!

^^^lol..

countlphie - I can see how a system like this could potentially be abused, but I don't see how it's different from bjj schools that don't have belt tests.
Even at a school that doesn't have belt tests, the instructor will see you training, drilling, sparring (maybe even teaching depending on the belt level) day in and day out, on good days and bad.  IMO, that's a world of difference from15 5-minute videos that have no doubt been carefully selected or edited to show only the best performances.