Monson Speaks Out About Arnolds !!

Carlao,
I attended the 10:30 and there were less than 10 participants so it was canceled. Sorry if you stayed late, it was supposed to run as planned but Relson canceled. I like the idea of being awarded points for passing the half-guard. I had the same agruement with Relson at my school about this and he gave me an interesting explanation as to why he wanted on an advantage to be given. The half gaurd is not a threatening position, there are limited attacks, played typically for sweeps, so passing the 1/2 guard should not = a true gaurd pass. I like the idea of gaining 3 points for passing 1/2 gaurd and getting an advantage for moving from full gaurd to a stabilized 1/2 gaurd. What do you think?

Garth,

The fact that you accept full responsibility for the
happenings at the event shows that you are a man. I
will take that at face value as a testament to your
integrity and character.

Having taken responsibility, I would then like to
request, of you, as the head referee, a formal review
of my match with Pe De Pano using the proper
application of the rules set forth and adopted by the
tournament.

If there is no formal review process established, then
one should be established.

If you would like constructive criticism and input
related to the overall performance of the tournament
then I would be happy to provide such under the
appropriate forum.

I will await you response.

I can be reached directly via e-mail at
wade@apexrad.com

Wade Rome

Carlao,
I stand corrected, I was there and did do the rules at 10:45. Scotty and I did the rules together. To much work not enough rest make a man retarted. I will address any rules issues and take any constructive criticism regarding the tournament.
-Garth

Wade,
I am in the process of getting the video clips and will evaluate your match carefully. I will speak to you directly prior to posting the decision on the net. I have been given input from John Cooper that indeed you had the takedown points but to be fair I will evaluate the situation personally without prejedous. -GARTH

i got to hang out with jeff at the USS and he is fucking hilarious. this doesn't surprise me at all after hearing some of his stories. the gracies do hold some bullshit tourneys.

Point being true. Monson did not give a formal apology to Dalla.

"I totally agree with you but I think the incident with the Arona slapping @ ADCC was with the Russian wrestler Barkalaev (spelling?) and not Monson. I've heard about him stripping down @ ADCC but not sure what it was all about."

If I was mistaken, I apologize to both Mr. Monson and ATT for this specific example I used. Can anyone confirm if it was Arona or Barkalaev?

That being said, Mr. Monson still needs to get a grip on his temper.

Garth,

Wonderful. Thank you very much.

I just had a 45 minute conversation with Phil and it
was relatively productive.

I look forward to the results of your review.

Wade Rome

"You were told can openers were legal they were wrong. Even if it was Relson, they did have a rules video & the rules on line, refer to those."

that's the biggest crock of shit - it's the *responsibility* of the those putting on the event to make the rules CLEAR at the "RULES MEETING." what if someone doesn't have a computer handy to check them online? do they have to pay $9.95 in S&H for the rules video in 4-6 weeks otherwise? come ON - Jeff operated within the confines of the rules presented. attacking the ref is not cool at all, but it's not like he did a baroni/landless..

Pe De Pano beat Jeff Fair and square, Jeff used a illegal hold, although it was legal to use the can opener to open the guard, The fact of the matter is Pe used a strategy albeit a pussy strategy to win. Jeff knew fully the can opener as a submission is illegal and took the risk of using it thats just poor strategy. As far as the wade rome thing goes I would need to see video of that to make a proper judgement. But coming on the internet and name calling is not the way to get things done. It makes yourself look very classless.

wow...I almost thought I was losing it because it was earlier posted
that there wasn't a 10:30 rules meeting but I was at the meeting.
Glad the hallucinations wore off. It did start late because I think
they were trying to let everyone know it was going to start. Of
course, the rules meeting didn't really matter since the referees
didn't consistently follow them.

Hey, NoStandards (fitting name)... congradulations. you have officially made Wade's shitlist.

on graciefighter.com it says that jeff threw a barrage of punches at the ref after taking him down. or at least something like that.

I can understand Jeff being upset, however the attack on the ref was uncalled for. Dalla voiced his opinion, which was in favor of the fight continuing. He was overuled by the man running the tournament. I think Jeff said he was sorry for jumping the ref. IMO the apology should have been directed more toward Leo. There were a number of matches that had decisions by refs that were controversial. J.D. Shelley-Shonie Carter & Rafiel, Jr.-Leo Dalla to name a couple. However neither Jr. or J.D. took it out on the ref. I wish Monsen hadn't. Pe de Pano's actions may have been smart strategically, but IMO left some real questions in my mind as to his greatness in the sport. He is very good at BJJ, but size & skill IMO are not the only thing that make a great champion.It would be hard for me to believe that Helio or Rickson or Royce or Dan Gable or Mark Schultz would be proud of a win using those type tactics. I also feel the precedent set is a bad one for BJJ. It is akin to a guy in a karate tournament taking a little contact and falling out like he was shot to get his opponent disqualified. I hope this isn't a trend, because the reason I like BJJ so much is because usually the winner is decided by who is the better fighter, not who is the best actor.
Hawk

--The best thing to do...and I am being serious--is, if someone feels they have been wronged here, they should contact the board of directors of the Arnold Classic and let them know their feelings.

anyone have the video online?

hahahahahahahahahaaaa i bet jeff was pissed if we went and took down the ref! hahahahaha

ttt

ttt

"All class"? I'm sorry but not matter the situation attacking the referee is wrong. I realize that he was pissed but attacking the ref for it is childish and ridiculous and I have no desire to see Monson again.

Jeff more then had his reasons but you cant make it acceptable to attack a ref in any sport.