šŸ¤­ Oliveira turned down immediate rematch with Islam

Before the Volk fight

Eagles got these boys shook :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Any ā€œOliveira fansā€ want to defend this or were you all just Khabib GOAT haters (rat Conor fans)?

I think he should have taken the fight he was crazy not to.

I wonder if 'mentally prepared ā€™ just means he usually goes on vacation before a fight camp. I think heā€™d still be wrong but at least the mindset or ritual would be defensible.

1 Like

I wonder if the guy wants to reinvent himself after that loss. Admittedly theres a pretty big difference between 1.0 and 2.0 with that guy. What would 3.0 look like?

4 Likes

Hes a sniveling coward.

Heā€™s not at Islamā€™s level and never will be. His only chance in the first fight was a lucky punch and it would be the same with the second fight, but he definitely should have taken it. With all the talent rising in the LW division, it may have been his last chance.

Right move imo. Charles Fought twice in 2021 and twice in 2022 all those fights were wars. A small break canā€™t hurt him

13 Likes

Iā€™m as big of a fan of Oliveira as it gets but he got thoroughly beat and thereā€™s no reason to think a rematch would go any different. He probably knows this himself; knows he needs to improve before trying again. Thatā€™s not cowardly, just realistic.

14 Likes

Exactly this

4 Likes

Fuck the UFC for trying to force him into another camp so soon just to have a Brazil headliner. At the championship level fighters need time to recuperate and rethink their game, just look at Vadim Nemkov compared to his first fight with Corey Anderson.

1 Like

230c43d60645017b5bcd20ae33904ef424af6e748ee14b2bc8021eed4e546535

5 Likes

Realistically though. what can he possibly improve on at this stage of his career to help him close the gap against Islam?

It was like I said, he had a punchers chance in the first fight, and a punchers chance in any follow up fight, and not a particularly good one in either case.

This rematch may very well have been his last chance at the title as well. There are a lot of good prospects coming up.

I genuinely donā€™t believe they would have made that fight.

3 Likes

Many dozens of fighters have turn down fighting Islam.

He will maul everybody and be a dominant champion, I called this several years ago on these very forums.

1 Like

Charles gave up to a heard and arm choke. He definitely needs some time to get his shit together and get his mind back in the game.

1 Like

I called

THE ROUND

3 Likes

Has anyone ever banked so hard on a fighter in UG history as I did with Izzy Mack?

@jgiveshead

He got completely dominated. He wasnā€™t champion long enough for this to warrant an instant rematch anyways. If Charles wants a break he deserves it. There is so much talent in that division that any other matchup would be just as fun.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not a matter of getting his shit together. Islam is just leagues ahead of everyone else unfortunately. If anyone is going to beat Islam it will be Volk or a go in the lower ranks that hasnā€™t gotten a shot yet. There are so many extremely talented young fighers at 155 lbs that are being held back by the gatekeeping going on at the top of the division. Tired of seeing the top 5 guys in their 30ā€™s only willing to fight eachother.

1 Like

What rising talent?

Guram, Gamrot, Damir, Arman, Fiziev

These guys will run the division, also Usman Nurmagomedov when he decides itā€™s time