Question for MODS re: racism/bigotry on the UG

Yeah, lot of shitbags.

Dashabox -
hooha -
StrikingMMA -
hooha - 

MODS? I know I'm gonna hear from all the dimwits here ("SJW, snowflake, faggot" etc. - Amerikkka truly is great again!) but MODS?

And btw, I fully support anyone's right to think freely; hate on anybody/anything as much as you want in private - but here in a public forum (just like you see elsewhere on the net) there are policies that prohibit those kinds of hateful comments. Those policies exist here too, but seem to never be enforced, even though we see action can be taken, like when folks bash fighters...

So yeah, you racist assholes are part of the "real world" (thanks for the advice Blazing Knees you fucking mouth-breather shitstain) but so are reasonable, worldly, decent people. 

But here, outside of the "real world" it's clear (even from the few posts already here) that most folks on the UG are white racist dudes... and what's the worst you fucks have been called here? Racist? That's as bad as it gets for you "snowflakes"! That's what gets you fuckers all mad - being called "racist"! 

POC are usually the most racist and are comfortable with expressing it since they get a pass. People don’t seem to call it really racism unless it’s a white person expressing it.

"POC are usually the most racist"? That’s why there were "Blacks only" drinking fountains in the USA, right? And all that history of whites being lynched in the South? I mean, what history of racism against POC, right? Fake news, right? 

Despite your upside-down reasoning StrikingMMA, let me ask you: do you see an overwhelming amount of POC (or even lefties/progressives, lgbtq, etc.) here on the UG? Do you see them starting racist threads about whites here? If so, what do they say? "Whites are…" what? Besides "racist" (if that were the case, let’s say) what would you see here? What racist things do POC write about whites here?

I mean I’ve seen all kinds of comments here about Jews, Muslims, blacks, Hispanics, women, gays - and no one was calling them "racist" - they were being called the whole truckload of shit that gets regularly assigned to them: parasites, terrorists, bitches/whores, faggots, rapists, criminals, dirty, thieving, uneducated, etc. etc. - Wow, so many different hurtful words for each minority group! 

White men do not suffer on the UG, don’t make like they do. Nor should they! Nor should anyone not be allowed to think what they want to think. But in a public sports forum, no one should be allowed to write racist stuff (against anybody) as is the norm on most public forums connected to a sport, journal, network, etc.

As an Italian your fist paragraph triggers me lol

The largest lynching in American history was a bunch of Italians but no one cares and it is never discussed.  Italians were also thrown into internment camps during WW2 but people only care about the Japanese.  My ancestors were stolen from Sicily many, many times through the ages and brought to Africa and the ME and used as slaves, in greater numbers than Africans brought to America but guess what, it isnt taugh in the schools, there are no emotional movies or TV shows made about it, no one today talks about it or gives two shits about it despite European, African and Arab historians all recording it.  

My point is that black people and other non-whites are not the only victims of history nor are they the only victims today, far from it actually.  Non-whites get called bad things on the OG, so do whites, if you actually look for it.  The main difference is the rediculous levels of interacial violence targeted at whites today, in the real world.

As someone with Italian family too(ones that suffered in WW2, also) Dashabox, I hear you (though I can't say I agree with the history of events that you outlined here) but I can't say I've seen to much of whites getting called bad things here on the UG. I've seen arguments about race that have gotten nasty, but never have I seen something about white people just get casually thrown out there like it does with other groups. 

Some news about a black fighter = nasty comments about blacks, Ariel Helwani or some other jewish figure = nasty anti-semitic comment. Muslim/arab fighter or somehow the conversation goes political = terrorist, rag-head, etc. 

Almost every day. Italians (and Jews) have it better than it was in the past, but it wasn't too long ago that Italians and Jews weren't accepted in North American society (and as you know, many Italians and Jews are dark-skinned too) and there are still tons of stereotypes thrown around about Italians. 

But where do you ssee the "ridiculous levels" of violence against whites today? Trump rally stuff? White leftys against white right-wingers? That's not racial violence against whites. But I can write all day all week (with evidence) about how much violence there is regularly against black Americans, hispanics, Arabs, Muslims... and it's not new, just a continuation of what's always been - just like it was too for Italians...

Dashabox -
hooha -
Dashabox -

Funny how these types of threads never bring up nor condemn the many faggots who go on threads about whites being victimized by "People of colour" and just bash and redicule the white victims the thread is reporting on and any white OG'ers commenting on the latest attack.  

I guess that sort of thing doesn't make the cut eh.

In all my years here Dashabox, I've never seen any thread where a "person of colour" started a racist thread against whites, nor have I ever seen whites "victimized" here. Truly, liberal-minded or progressive people make up a tiny, tiny part of the UG. I've seen people get upset here from offensive comments and sure, sometimes they get gross right back - but never have I seen what (I think) you're describing!

You're saying that no one defends the white people who have been attacked here, right?

Can you give me any example of that? The only thing that seems to offend white people here is being called "racist" (usually after they've written something racist). 

I wasn't referring to white OG'ers being attacked in threads (Though it does happen), frankly I couldn't give a shit about that and I wasnt talking about Og'ers of colour either.  I was referring to threads about the latest terror attack or the latest incident of black on white violence where you get the usual shit birds who just go in those threads to incite and make fun of the victims in the stories while calling everyone a racist Nazi.

If you can't see that than perhaps you just stay away from those threads or maybe you just don't notice it because that sort of behaviour is just so normalized in our society.

For the record I am not supporting any type of Racism here, you can search my post history and not find any racist remarks. 

Dashabox I might've screwed up by writing "OG" when I meant "UG". It's here that I'm writing about, not the OG, sorry for the typo.

I don't go to the OG, so yeah, maybe that type of baiting goes on there, I dunno, you're right I don't see it.

But for the record, I don't care if people get nasty even when it gets political - even if it offends me, coz even the position and policies of my own country (Canada/USA) offends me! I just can't stand the daily, straight-forward racist comments here on the UG. Sick of it. Just want to read about fighting, that's it, and people can insult each other all they want - just keep race and culture out of it! 

i really hated black panther, but thought that bald chic was cute as hell.  i'm not sure what that makes me? 

StevetheWeasel - I'm with you, OP.

But it’s been like this for a long time. Ultimately, I imagine people get a lot of leeway with that shit here precisely because it’s so prevalent. We’d cut this place down by half or more if we enforced any sort of policy about racist/homophobic/misogynistic posting.

And it is nice, to an extent, to have this place be a bit more open and permissive than most forums.

Still, it would be nice to see at least some of the more egregious violates actually dealt with.

Thanks StW, but I thought there was some sort of policy about racist stuff - coulda sworn I read that!

I’ve been here for a long time, longer than my sign-up date reveals (used to be "coltrane" but that account somehow got fugged up) and it’s just gotten so, so bad over the last few years. It was always around here and there, but those comments would get shouted down. Now, it’s truly the majority by far. 

You’re right, if the policy was enforced, it would cut the numbers but 1) is there a policy? Why won’t the mods answer here? Do they ever? and 2) wouldn’t it just be like eye-pokes? Write something racist and you get a warning (and the post gets deleted) - doesn’t mean you get disqualified immediately! But poke again and again…

And if there is no policy and people can write what they want, so be it. Then it’s up to me to decide if I want to see that crap each day or not. I just see these policies in effect on most other websites, just basic ground rules - don’t see it as a radical position to take!

Thanks for your feedback StW.

FCTV808 -

i really hated black panther, but thought that bald chic was cute as hell.  i'm not sure what that makes me? 

Someone who doesn't care too much about big, blockbuster, superhero movies - with good taste in women!

bbomber -

Good post. The racist and bigoted assholes on here are killing the boards. The number of tough guy keyboard warriors running around calling people "faggots" is unreal. And that type of hatred seems to be, at the very least, tolerated.

It's why I don't come by too often anymore.

This place is not far from being a hate filled, far right echo chamber.

Thanks bbomber. If nothing changes (or at least clarified by a mod!) then I gotta decide too whether or not to come to the forums. 

Been here a long time but the neighbourhood has changed... 

hooha - 
Upperdog - When offended, you make yourself a victim. Sack up.

Right, so when someone or some group attacks you and your people all throughout history up to present day - just ignore it, do nothing - that's your message?

Don't stand up for yourself or your loved ones or for what's right, rather just pretend that there's not a human part of you that reacts to truly offensive insults or bahaviour. Create some kind of Hollywood fantasy that somehow you can just be stronger and make yourself into something (like a mobster? What the fuck are you using The Departed as your example?!) and THAT will allow you to be bigger than insults and being offended...

Here, Upperdog - here's a better lesson from real life: If you or your people are shit on by assholes - stand up for yourself. Say something. Start some dialogue. You might open someone's mind but if not, at least you don't let yourself get pushed around. That's how you avoid being a vicim. Not by pretending that the bad shit out there doesn't exist or that it doesn't affect you.

Not something that I feel I'd have to explain to someone who actually has been on the receiving end of discrimination. 

I live my life day by day. I don’t simply take advantage of opportunities that may present themselves to me. I choose to create opportunities for others to learn and grow. That’s the difference between me and you. You’re a victim in you’re own mind. Overcome yourself. Only then, may you understand.

‘you and your people’

Fuck off with that dumb shit. Be your own man. Make the difference. The benefit of any community begins with an individual.

You’re claiming victim status? Is that what you want to project? Really?

You have fear in your heart. Fear begets hatred, envy and greed.

Overcome yourself.

mma_jeremy -

I come to this place (been lurking for years) specifically because it's not censored like all the other PC forums and "communities" out there.

While I'm tired of the anti-white, anti-man, anti-straight sentiment going around nowadays, I don't necessarily condone the most extreme views I see on here, but censorship is way worse in my opinion.

What's funny is that the hardcore liberals, the self-proclaimed champions of free speech, are always the first ones to complain about any opinion that offends them and to do anything in their power to censor it.

Just realize that definitions are completely subjective and arbitrary and that the way you define racism, sexism or whatever, is most likely very different from the way other people define those terms.

Obviously you assume that your definitions are the "right" ones, or the ones that "make sense". But let me assure you that there's no such thing, those words don't mean anything.

When people say "this is right" or "this is wrong", all they're saying is "this is how I feel about this topic", period.

Anyway...this place is a breath of fresh air in how uncensored it is and I think it'd be a real shame to change that because the champions of free speech are offended.

Some ultra-liberal opinions here are unbearable to me to the point where I can't even open the threads in question because I know it's bad for my mental health to get that aggravated.

Still I'd rather have those assholes be able to express themselves than not. I'm not a republican and find a lot of typical right-winged views retarded. But I have to say that I've never seen more intellectually dishonest people than hardcore liberals ever in my life.

Thing is mma_jeremy, if you read what I wrote you'd see that I'm not against conservative or liberal views here - I'm against straight-forward racist comments.

Be a white, straight, Christian, pro-military, pro-gun etc. etc. whatever - no problem. Say you can't stand SJW-types, liberals, etc. -argue with them - or be the opposite - I have no beef with that.

But don't call black people "monkeys". Don't say that blacks are born criminals, Jews are money-hungry whining manipulators, Hispanics are violent and rapists. Don't call people "faggots" "kike" "rag-head". 

I don't consider that censorship when it's on a public forum about MMA. Those are basic guidelines that a lot of sites have. Should I be able to have a debate with a black person and call them a "nigger"? Is that censorship? 

If you want to have your own site or book or whatever, you can do what you want. But I thought there were some basic ground rules here on the UG and I just want them clarified. That's all I'm asking for here in this thread.

Upperdog -
hooha - 

Right, so when someone or some group attacks you and your people all throughout history up to present day - just ignore it, do nothing - that's your message?

Don't stand up for yourself or your loved ones or for what's right, rather just pretend that there's not a human part of you that reacts to truly offensive insults or bahaviour. Create some kind of Hollywood fantasy that somehow you can just be stronger and make yourself into something (like a mobster? What the fuck are you using The Departed as your example?!) and THAT will allow you to be bigger than insults and being offended...

Here, Upperdog - here's a better lesson from real life: If you or your people are shit on by assholes - stand up for yourself. Say something. Start some dialogue. You might open someone's mind but if not, at least you don't let yourself get pushed around. That's how you avoid being a vicim. Not by pretending that the bad shit out there doesn't exist or that it doesn't affect you.

Not something that I feel I'd have to explain to someone who actually has been on the receiving end of discrimination. 

I live my life day by day. I don’t simply take advantage of opportunities that may present themselves to me. I choose to create opportunities for others to learn and grow. That’s the difference between me and you. You’re a victim in you’re own mind. Overcome yourself. Only then, may you understand.

‘you and your people’

Fuck off with that dumb shit. Be your own man. Make the difference. The benefit of any community begins with an individual.

Overcome yourself.

Thanks for your wisdom oh great yogi Upperdog. Truly, just a bunch of useless, irrelevant crap that you’ve written. 

Clearly you yourself have never been singled out for just being part of some group. Nor has your family, it’s just not part of your personal history, for some reason you just can’t admit it. Like it’s some kind of weakness. It’s ok to not have that experience, but you can observe and learn. 

Talking about shit you know nothing about, nothing to say except to write out crappy superhero comic cliches about overcoming fear and shit. 

I don’t see myself (nor anyone else who’s had to read racist shit here) as a victim. YOU see people that speak out for themselves or their "people" as victims coz you don’t know any better and you’re too proud to be open to others’ experiences or realities.

Your perspective is self-centered, blind, limited, selfish, ignorant. You are giving advice from the perspective of someone in a vacuum, you’re just jerking yourself off. What’s bad is that instead of challenging yourself, you’re passing on bad advice that’s not rooted in real life or history. 

Did Martin Luther King see himself as a victim? Muhammad Ali? Are unions just a bunch of victims? Is the legal system just there for a society full of victims? We should just be our own men! Overcome our fear! Who needs consumer protection? Who needs policies in the workplace? Speak out about injustice or persecution and you’re just a VICTIM!

Live in a bubble, ignore fear, racism doesn’t exist, the persecution of minority groups in America never existed and doesn’t exist and anyone that says it does is a VICTIM!

The benefit of any community, Upperdog, is to know that there’s a community in the first place. You may not have that in your life, but a lot of us here do. We’re tired of seeing those in our communities attacked here on a daily basis, when we JUST WANT TO READ AND WRITE ABOUT MMA. 

Free speech is solely about limiting government’s power over its citizens; it has fuckall to do with public conversations between private individuals.

hooha -
x9uv -

fucking SJW snowflakes. 

learn to be offended. its OK. I'll get you a participation trophy if you really need it. 

there are no winners here. now everybody hold hands and share a secret. 

Curious x9uv - are you from a group that gets regularly targeted here on the UG?

I'm cool being offended when I can't control things, but in a place like this (made up of all kinds of people from all over the world) I'd like to be able to talk about all things MMA  and not have to read nasty comments about Jews each day. Or see black people called "monkeys", etc. etc. etc. 

Want to tell me that I'm a stupid fuckhead for liking this or that fighter? Tell me I'm an idiot for my opinion about the outcome of some fight? Fine. Perfect. But don't bring bigoted stuff into the picture. 

Do you get offended here x9uv? Either way, whether you do or don't - do you understand why someone doesn't want to have to read that shit on a public sports forum (especially when it's not allowed on other sports forums)?

nope. and i doubt you could possible write anything that would offend me to the point that I'd whine about it. I would most likely laugh. 

harden the fuck up princess.

hooha - 
Upperdog -
hooha - 

‘you and your people’

Overcome yourself.

Thanks for your wisdom oh great yogi Upperdog. Truly, just a bunch of useless, irrelevant crap that you’ve written. 

Clearly you yourself have never been singled out for just being part of some group. Nor has your family, it’s just not part of your personal history, for some reason you just can’t admit it. Like it’s some kind of weakness. It’s ok to not have that experience, but you can observe and learn. 

Talking about shit you know nothing about, nothing to say except to write out crappy superhero comic cliches about overcoming fear and shit. 

I don’t see myself (nor anyone else who’s had to read racist shit here) as a victim. YOU see people that speak out for themselves or their "people" as victims coz you don’t know any better and you’re too proud to be open to others’ experiences or realities.

Your perspective is self-centered, blind, limited, selfish, ignorant. You are giving advice from the perspective of someone in a vacuum, you’re just jerking yourself off. What’s bad is that instead of challenging yourself, you’re passing on bad advice that’s not rooted in real life or history. 

Did Martin Luther King see himself as a victim? Muhammad Ali? Are unions just a bunch of victims? Is the legal system just there for a society full of victims? We should just be our own men! Overcome our fear! Who needs consumer protection? Who needs policies in the workplace? Speak out about injustice or persecution and you’re just a VICTIM!

Live in a bubble, ignore fear, racism doesn’t exist, the persecution of minority groups in America never existed and doesn’t exist and anyone that says it does is a VICTIM!

The benefit of any community, Upperdog, is to know that there’s a community in the first place. You may not have that in your life, but a lot of us here do. We’re tired of seeing those in our communities attacked here on a daily basis, when we JUST WANT TO READ AND WRITE ABOUT MMA. 

You seem angry. Who are you mad with?

Man, just go on the Woodley thread where his friend talks about why he's not more popular. Someone actually posted that horrible meme of a black kid with a watermelon and a bucket of KFC, IN a comment where he argues racism doesn't exist. 

Go to the thread started by MeatGrinder about the white supremacist MMA apparel brand. Some of the most horrid shit I've seen is in that thread, truly some bizarre, raging racism in there. And sure enough, you make this thread and it starts getting filled with people who insist it is whites who are being victimized, and who call blacks racist. 

This place is basically Stormfront but with Jiu Jitsu, and it's really sad. Mayweather said years ago that this sport was for skinheads, and I wanted him to be wrong, but since Trump brought white supremacy to the mainstream, people took the hoods off here, and it sucks. 

What follows are ten pages of me being called a faggot and a racist.

I agree with op, the racist shit has gotten worst over the past couple years

OP is calling for cencorship just like the good little brainwashed robot he is. Fuck you OP, if you feel somebody is being bigoted then debate them and prove they are wrong. Or else stfu and stop crying

hooha -
KirkBJJ -
hooha -
x9uv -

fucking SJW snowflakes. 

learn to be offended. its OK. I'll get you a participation trophy if you really need it. 

there are no winners here. now everybody hold hands and share a secret. 

Curious x9uv - are you from a group that gets regularly targeted here on the UG?

I'm cool being offended when I can't control things, but in a place like this (made up of all kinds of people from all over the world) I'd like to be able to talk about all things MMA  and not have to read nasty comments about Jews each day. Or see black people called "monkeys", etc. etc. etc. 

Want to tell me that I'm a stupid fuckhead for liking this or that fighter? Tell me I'm an idiot for my opinion about the outcome of some fight? Fine. Perfect. But don't bring bigoted stuff into the picture. 

Do you get offended here x9uv? Either way, whether you do or don't - do you understand why someone doesn't want to have to read that shit on a public sports forum (especially when it's not allowed on other sports forums)?

Curse words offend people. You should tone down the language hypocrite. 

We're talking about racism and bigotry here. We're allowed to swear here on the UG. We're allowed to tell someone that they're a fucking idiot for like Conor McGregor (or for hating him). Supposedly, we're not allowed to fighter-bash or write racist things on the UG.  

I'm guessing you're just a white, straight guy. Nothing wrong with that. But if that's so, then you have no idea about what it feels like to check out some seemingly interesting thread about a fighter or some event, only to find nasty racist shit directed at the group you're from. Often. Pretty much daily. 

Gets tiring, y'know? And when there are supposed to be guidelines, it kind of makes a person want to ask them to be actually used. Why do we need to read that shit? It's a fucking sports forum!

2nd paragraph to a tee is why I don’t enjoy social media and forums like most. I hate finding a thread I’m interested in get ruined because 6 post in begin all the racist comments start. I have enough of that shit in my every day life and it sucks I can’t talk about fighters. Sadly I feel after this comment I won’t be checking for this thread anymore. 

Blazing Knees -

shut your whiny snowflake mouth and get with the real world dude. It's rough out there and this is how people talk

go back to something safer Nancy, the interwebz are yuge

I have to agree. 

Sorry, OP. 

I read racist stuff against whites all day on Facebook. I don't cry to Mark Zuckerberg. 

It’s a cage fighting forum so a large amount of the members who sign up behave like that. It doesn’t offend me but it’s a little annoying when a rare good thread on this place gets derailed by the angry hormonal teenager showing up with “lol faggot u stupid faggot u won’t fight me in real life pussy faggot “ stuff because he’s triggered over an observation about a fighter they’ve never met but worship. It’s not so much that they say “pussy” or “faggot”, that stuff doesn’t really bother me, say whaever you want, the site ToS apparently allows it. It’s just a little weird when that’s the only substance to the post…no joke, no point to make, just a string of insults. A small percent of the people here communicate in a way that isn’t much more sophisticated than a dog barking when it’s tied to chain or hungry. Some of these people are so awkward they start cussing out other posters who simply ask a question. It’s gotten to the point where if you’re seriously asking a question you have to preface it by assuring the other poster you aren’t attacking them or their favorite fighter in any way. If you don’t give that assurance the next 2 pages will be 3 people calling each other fags and bitches. It’s a discussion forum where a frightening amount of people don’t know how to have a discussion.

I remember having a discussion awhile with another poster who mentioned he made an effort to have his real identity removed from this site because it’s just not the kind of place you want associated with you if a potential employer or investor wanted to do some background research on you. I can understand his point. Not just popping up in research, but when the “pussy” and the “faggot” insults aren’t enough to satiate their freakish emotions, the disturbed poster will try to doxx you and fuck with people you know in real life.

Cage culture is an embarrassing thing but I still enjoy threads on here once in awhile like the one called stacked weekend of boxing or the one about the Russian wrestlers being so technical. When caposa still posted threads here he made awesome threads with weekend lineups of global MMA and how to watch it so we weren’t stuck with watching two forklift drivers punch at the air in a ufc fight under unified rules.

Just an hour ago the entire front page was a spambot, moderating here really isn't great