Referee At Fury FC Last Night

1 Like
3 Likes

A very bizarre scene unfolded to end Fury FC 76, as a referee severely failed in his duties to protect a fighter.

Dana White’s Contender Series veteran Edgar Chairez and Gianni Vazquez were in the fourth round of a competitive flyweight main event bout Friday evening at Boeing Center at Tech Port in San Antonio when referee Frank Collazo failed to recognize when a fighter went unconscious.
Vazquez (8-5) completed a takedown on Chairez (10-4), but soon found himself locked in a triangle choke at 3:43. Chairez adjusted to secure the position even further, which prompted Vazquez to attempt to stack his opponent, but even just a couple of seconds later, it was already too late. Chairez hooked the leg, and the unconscious Vazquez crashed down to the canvas about 9 seconds later.

Vazquez wasn’t moving, and the commentary team of UFC welterweight Alex Morono, Michael Alexander, and Raheel Ramzanali began calling the finish as the referee stood closely over the action.

“He’s breathing like he’s out. He’s breathing like he’s asleep. Look at his leg,” said one of the commentators as they began yelling over each other in what quickly turned into a chaotic moment.

Others sitting cageside could be heard screaming and pleading with the referee to stop the fight, as it was clear Vasquez was unresponsive.

Calls of “He’s out! He’s out!” were repeated. Collazo continued to just hover over the fighters, perhaps observing something that nobody else in the arena or watching at home on UFC Fight Pass saw in the moment.

The choke was still locked in as seconds ticked away. With the Collazo still not stopping the action, Chairez opted to transition to an armbar, releasing the triangle choke at 3:15.

“Frank, he’s out! He’s out!” exclaimed Morono.

“Frank! What. Oh my gosh,” said Ramzanali. “Frank, it’s done! Frank, it’s done! What are you doing? It’s done!”

After laying motionless on his back in the armbar for a few more seconds, Vazquez slowly began regaining consciousness. He began to move his left hand, and reached for his right arm which was trapped in the submission hold.

It would be close to another 10 seconds before he tapped out as the referee stood just inches away. The entire time multiple people cageside were screaming and pleading for Collazo to stop the fight.

The official time of the stoppage was 2:04, when Collazo finally stopped the bout.

3 Likes

Covered here:

6 Likes

reckless disregard to fighter safety. what an idiot

6 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

LOL@ the gullible sheep listening to the commentators.

Home Skillet was never out.

2 Likes

Protect the fighters from each other and themselves is the job of referee.

I reffed a bjj tourney and a guy had a fully extended and locked in arm bar and I jumped in right as his arm got out of the arm bar. The kid was pissed. I said,” dude I am sorry but I just don’t want you injured”. He yelled at me and I walked away. 15 min later he came back apologized and thanked me for protecting him.

6 Likes

Doctors said he was

1 Like

Not limp.

Homie just decided to squirm late in the game (decision making process)

The pressure was always being applied

It was basically a panic move (not regaining consciousness) Home Skillet wasn’t out.

1 Like

I got choked by my buddy and went out and he said I stayed resistant. When he realized I was out it was because I snored. When I woke up I had a dream that I was given CPR and so I asked,” who gave me cpr, who do I thank?” His face said it all. It was triangle.

1 Like

I’ve watched probably 10,000 fights. That was almost certainly the single worst reffing job I’ve ever seen. That was legitimately hard to watch, and I honestly wish I hadn’t. I cannot imagine a scenario where that ref ever officiates another fight.

7 Likes

Upon another viewing of the video, I can see this being true. I thought he was out. But with the sound off, watch his eyes and lips and limbs carefully. He did seem to be moving a bit and even talking. He could have been out of it and not really aware of what was going on, though.

It’s weird.

But even if he was “awake,” he was not defending very well. He should have stopped that. But I’ve never reffed before, so it’s hard to armchair quarterback it.

4 Likes

good post

1 Like

Some REALLY MMA Intelligent peeps on the UG.

1 Like

Once the injured fighter recovers the ref should have to fight him in the cage

3 Likes

guy had no business reffing

5 Likes

He’s judging the ufc fights tonight.

4 Likes

1 Like