Referee Mistake in BlackBelt Fight

Yada Yada... Consider it considered... But there is no way in hell I would have missed this fight for love or money... It totally made the day.

A brown belt fight would have been nice though too...

LOL I was going to say the same thing about the 1 minute rule. I think Paulo was just trying to do the hounarable thing, like he said it doesn't change the result.

How bout Elvis vs Kayoom, that would be good 2 see.

Elvis - "Had this been a white belt match, would the apology have been posted on the internet?", I believe it would have, the reason being is that Paulo & Marcelo are buddies so this thread would have been posted no matter what belt division the fight was held in, if the referee had of been a total stranger - hard to find in a small BJJ community such as ours - as it should have been, and the same "mistake" was made then there is no way in the world this thread would have been created.

Dave - I'm still in total shock and dismay at the fact that I agreed with one of your posts, and thanks for the compliment on my use of the Arabic swears, good to see someone finally picking up on that point.

CISEMEK.

"How bout Elvis vs Kayoom, that would be good 2 see."

Yeah I was looking forward to that match as well. I've said for a long time that Adam should be a brown belt (you can ask Bruno, I've been bugging him for ages about it).

Alas, I don't know what happened. The match was scheduled, but Adam did not make it. Rodney tried to call him on his mobile, but it was turned off. I think it may have been due to his training for his upcoming fight.

Elvis

Cisemek,

My girlfriend is half Lebo, I get that from her mum! Pretty funny stuff.

Cisalfemek!!!!:)

Dave.

I agree with Elvis i think Paulo should now come on here and say sorry for making a mistake (the 1st mistake) letting the fight start after the rules were broken. I also would of hated this fight not to go ahead but the rules are the rules. If a Black Belt is allowed to break the 1 min rule what other rules is it ok for the Black Belts to break?

Sounds like a 2-0 result was lucky as it could have easily been awarded to Anthony before it even started!

Hey check me out about 1 cm above Marcello's head with the blue hat and the video camera. I'm hella famous.

Justees Pic's

Damn! I still don't know what Marcelo looks like.

its just an advantage unless both shoulders are pinned

To Keats, Elvis and all other people chucking a hissy fit about the breach of the one minute rule...

If anyone should be apologising it should be me. I was the administrator for the competition and the one who scheduled the fight. It was scheduled for 3pm, I called it 10 minutes early (got a bit excited) whilst Marcello was still warming up. He didn't hear the call and turned up as requested at 3pm on the dot.

I'm sorry, but as I said before I have great respect for our Black Belts and as far as I'm concerned on special occassions such as the first ever black belt fight on Aussie soil I'm prepared to overlook minor transgressions.

Have a nice day.

Tim Ritchie

Tim

Gee... I wonder if that was an IMPed thread...

My post was actually agreeing with u Bondi. How could anyone ever think about not letting the guys roll because of a technicality.

"Cabal1, you win."

Sweet! Now I just have to hope that the referee of our argument doesn't make a thread claiming my victory was all a terrible mistake.

"Damn! I still don't know what Marcelo looks like."

That's Marcello in the second picture. You can see a side profile of his face...

"My post was actually agreeing with u Bondi. How could anyone ever think about not letting the guys roll because of a technicality."

I was under the impression that was the rule. I agree that no-one wanted to see this happen. It's a catch 22, you disqualify Marcello, you miss a great match, you let the match go on, you are setting a precedent, you can no longer uphold this rule. What if someone earlier in the day had been disqualified because he missed his match, what then? In Brazil, rules apply to everyone from white to black. BTW, this is more of a theological argument. I'm just interested in the topic.

"'PASSING THE GUARD: Is when the athlete that is above his adversary or in between his legs, moves to his opponent's side, establishing a perpendicular position over his adversary's trunk, dominating him and leaving him no space to move or to escape the position--if even is is on his side, back, or facing down. NOTE: if the athlete that is underneath avoids the move by getting to his knees or standing up, the initiative will not be awarded 2points but will be awarded an advantage.' "

It should be pointed out that this is not the official BJJ rules. At the BJJ refereeing course it was stated that you must show control by pinning the shoulders. It should be noted that the rules above score a pass 2pts, where as official bjj rules score them 3pts. You have to be careful where you get your rules from.

"i would be very suprised if it was both shoulders or its essentially just a wrestling/judo match"

I think people forget that BJJ came from Judo. That's why there are similarities.

Elvis

Don't push me Elvis... I'm a donkey on the edge...

Please dissapear again Justin!

So your fighting Perosh next time are you?

Maybe since your mate Tony is a Black Belt he should also be fighting!

More like 15-20kg weight dif. 30 is a bit off.

KEATS! BEHAVE!

See Marketting Thread... Punk can't even SPELL Marketing...

OK, interested in the topic...

I would say that this fight should be exempt from the 1 minute rule in this case simply because it was more of a feature match rather simply a part of the competition as a whole. In my opinion it would be like disqualifying the Capoiera demonstration for being 1 minute late, it ain't going to happen.

The brown belt fight would also have been a feature match, hence you did not receive a medal when Adam failed to show for his fight as you would have had it been part of the regular comp. It did not form part of the comp as a whole, but was rather the "icing on the cake" so to speak.

Tim Ritchie