Rickson Gracie’s memoir ‘Breathe’ spills a lot of tea

That is what the good people of the world would do.

1 Like

I’ve looked around and had no luck.

He has “Gracie Hunter” shirts.For some reason they changed it from The Gracie Killer.

2 Likes

6 Likes

I got a picture with him.He was wearing this shirt.

3 Likes

I just checked & it is the same shirt but a different color with the white.

Crowbar is Coker! It all makes sense now.

2 Likes

I would post the picture,but I have a complex about my teeth.

1 Like

This is a classic. I didn’t start following MMA until 06 and I somehow have never seen this

1 Like

I really don’t have a dog in the fight but an old school “Brazilian BJJ guy” I know well and trust told me about how Rickson & Rigan and Helio were all in the Garage in Torrance. Other people were there too, all training.

Rigan had been away for a while, training like a madman and was at or near his peak. Rickson & him rolled and Rigan was getting the better of Rickson and had him in legit trouble. Helio said, “no more rolling” simply because if they kept going Rigan was possibly going to beat him. Rickson was having trouble with Rigans pace and pressure and --even though it was just training-- Helio didn’t want to risk Rickson getting tapped in front of a group of people.

I dunno, if that was before or after their famous match, but that’s what I heard.

As great as Rickson no doubt is, there has also always been a “protect the mystique” aspect too. That’s deep in the Gracie DNA.

6 Likes

Good story

roidce

10 Likes

i’ve heard that one also. It was in the late 80’s garage days when rorion got busted by the city for running a business out of his garage and they had to have musical garages between rorion, rigan and rickson to thwart code enforcement officials.

1 Like

My first year in JJ was in Relson’s garage in Kahala. The whole carport was mat.

8 Likes

being in hawaii, would the correct nomenclature be auto lanai? When i retire, i may open a garage academy on Molokai, because it’s not just for lepers anymore!

not to mention the omen. It’s all happy happy, joy joy now.

You guys may know or know of Rick M or Chris H talking about that time frame and area.

Chris was a blue belt in those halcyon days.

I wasn’t sure most of the UG would understand Lanai so I went carport. You’re right though. It was a mauka facing lanai.

1 Like

Whatever happened to don ho? He used to be all over the place(such as the tv special “a don ho christmas” that aired every year) and then just disappeared, like the tiny bubbles in a glass of champagne.