Rickson Gracie’s memoir ‘Breathe’ spills a lot of tea

Wish we could have got Renzo vs Vale in the 1st round at WCC.

After Boztepe declined to fight Royce at UFC 5, Bart Vale & Maurice Smith were also offered the fight but both declined, so they went with Shamrock and created a rivalry.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, why is there never any stories about Rolker? Hardly ever hear his name mentioned when stories of their family pop up. Was he always just doing his own thing?

1 Like

Exactly this. Renzo beats him no doubt but I would have loved to have seen the spectacle.

Rigan was 2nd best at the time

Renzo would have beaten Vale. Like he beat maurice smith.

He would have beaten Rickson in mma.

I think Rolker’s main focus has always been running Gracie Humiatà academy. He’s the only one of Helios sons to never leave Brazil. I don’t think competing was ever his thing.

2 Likes

No, they didn’t create a rivalry, that was the blow off

Is there a Gracie name generator plug-in somewhere? Start with an R than just drop some random vowels and consonants.

1 Like
1 Like

About a year ago, I gifted many BJJ forum members with their “official” Gracie Name. But you don’t just start with an ‘R’ and add some random letters --rhat’s very insulting!

It has to come from a person who has not combined any wrong foods for at least 6 months and is able to spiritually consult with the ghost of Carlos Sr. --who can be finicky to reach, even with a high quality, Brazilian Tigerwood, Ouija Board.

5 Likes

I honestly think-- based on his behavior-- that Royce maybe has some sort of legit mood disorder or is manic depressive or something.

I took a seminar with him --despite hearing the stories about him-- and, yep, he was a HUGE prick.

He was such a prick most of the people in the seminar --including me-- thought for the first 5-10 minutes that he was joking; putting on an act to be funny. Nope. Just a guy who could not care less about teaching and huge asshole. Seemed like a truly miserable person. The people around him were nice, but they were just like enablers who surround an alcoholic, walking on egg shells, appologizing for him.

–BUT–

I have also heard people say, far less commonly, that they were taught by Royce at a seminar and it was GREAT. and he was great! Which, if true. makes me think he really does have something going on in terms of mental health issues.

4 Likes

I need to follow up with a couple seminar stories from a Royce seminar.

I think and hope Shen will appreciate the humor.

1 Like

Rerpes

1 Like

He’s even wearing a rash guard under his gi now? Helio’s coral and red belts are cringing.

At first he refused to wear his red belt.Something must have happened with one of those federations in Brazil.

Royce left Brazil to join Rorian in the US when he was in his late teens. I read somewhere that he had competed at the lower belts as a teenager, but not with great success. Rorian had him doing lots of garage challenge matches when people would come to test Gracie JJ, so Royce had far more experience with that side of JJ than in regular matches.

2 Likes