Rickson's beautiful jiu-jitsu

ttt 4 later.

"I have no problem with Rickson except that he barely ever competed, and yet is considered God by SOME BJJ guys. He's slick, and his technique is nice, I agree with that, but saying he's the best when he's never fought the best is silly to say the least."

Well - it's not just mudnamers and glossy-eyed teenage fans that gush over his technique... the following list of people have all rolled with Rickson and have claimed that he is untouchable...

Saulo Ribiero

Paulo Filho

Fabio Gurgel

The list is longer than this (sorry, my memory is poor at the moment) - but I would think that these three would probably know what they're talking about.

And if you mean that he's never competed - that he hasn't competed since turning 40 than that would be more accurate. He did compete quite a bit in Brazil (and if you go to that youtube link you'll also see videos of him schooling other fairly well known black belts from that period).

Now having said ALL of that -- I have heard from a couple of decent black belts (that have trained and rolled with him) that they believe the gushing praise he gets from those afforementioned black belts is out of respect for his and his families contributions to the sport -- but that he would probably lose to the absolute top guys like Roger or Garcia in sport jiu jitsu.

Of course though - he is nearly fifty, his style isn't AS suited for CBJJ rules (preferring to roll until tap more or less) and of course he is still actually human.

So in a way you can say the hero worship is a bit far fetched - and isn't 100% accurate.

But the reality is he is pretty god damned amazing and that you really need to cut the "nut-riders" some slack before shooting your pedantic little mouth off. I bet you'd be the same person to squeel with joy if you noticed a tiny near invisible zit on the face of Natalie Portman all so you can say what an over-rated hideous monkey she is...

Greg, maybe Fabio could've given him a run... But Fabio clearly stated in an interview that he couldn't touch Rickson and that Ricksons Jiu Jitsu is at another level. Maybe this was tempered with respect - but he was pretty unambiguous when asked about his chances.

Liborio v Rickson would be interesting to watch!

"but his technique is obviously dated and he has not kept up with recent developments in grappling, AFAIK."

Interesting.

So far the only thing I've heard from current and past world champions is that they can't touch him... and the most disparraging and "tempered" remark I've heard from other black belts who've rolled with him is that he would probably lose to Garcia and Roger in sport BJJ today.

I think I will take all of their words over yours.

I doubt very much that a fifty year-old with "dated" technique would be able to get all of the above mentioned comments and praise were it not for some legit-current level skill.

But go ahead - I'm sure you know far more about the sport then those who are qualified.

?

why people that have screen names using other people's names are
invariable tools?

" he has not kept up with recent developments in grappling, AFAIK."

I am betting you dont know much then. I am not nut riding but this statement is plain silly, Rickson trains with the world's best in BJJ. Do I think present day Rickson would beat Marcello...no I dont.

ttt

ttt

i attended a Rickson seminar a few moneths before UFC1

he was amazing and at the end of the seminar he rolled with everyone, one after another. about 30 - 40 people in a row and tapped everyone. he would give his back to people and give bad position too just to give them a chance.

amazing...

Didn't Filho or some other top name recently say he learned some new techniques rolling with rickson a few months ago but he would keep them secret until he competes?

That doesn't sound like stagnation.

So what are these new techniques that Roger is using that Rickson isn't aware of? Having seen how easily an even older Mauricio Gomes can handle modern guys I have no problem believing that Rickson can still hang with the best around.

what does Sperry think of Rickson?

When the best, past and present swear Rickson is by far the best, that speaks volumes more than TUF noobs and armchair critics, IMHO.

Lol@this thread.

berserk is one of the few that isn't berserk. you could post a thread
about Rickson's daughter getting married or him selling his house and
people would come on to argue that the man could never beat today's
mma fighters.

"Seriously, is this all a joke I'm not in on?"

The only joke is how little you understand about jiu-jitsu.

The reality is that Rickson might not be the best in the world today - but he is still almost certainly world class (and at the age of fifty). We also know that many world champions have rolled with him to say how completely amazing he is (you can look this up yourself, or speak to these guys if you want. I've heard these stories directly from Carlos Valente or read them in freely available interviews).

How you can honestly believe he was only quite good in the past - but probably only "decent" nowadays in the face of all of this other testimony is beyond me. It's not like a tuf noob went to his school and got beaten badly and said "wow - he's so amazing".

It's about fighters like Paulo Filho saying - after training with him - that he's not grappled with anyone like him.

It's about 5 time world champion Saulo Ribeiro training with him and saying "Holy Shit".

Are you calling all of these people who have actually had experience with Rickson Liars?

ttt

"Are you calling all of these people who have actually had experience with Rickson Liars?"

No, but Im saying they are just propelling the "Brazilian myth" further along. Its a cultural thing (bjj culture) for them to promote the Gracies and particularly Rickson.

that was some pretty shit

ttt for rickson