Rigan Machado vs. Rickson Gracie (Rigan speaks)

HotSteppa - A lot of the NEW BJJers in the past decade don't realize that Rigan was considered a demi-God to most earlier BJJ practitioners. Make no mistake, he ran through world champions in training. He demolished Pe De Pano was threw a hissy fit apparently.
Rigan didn't have the mindset, to be a world champion. He had the skill, but you need a mind that is conducive to punctuality, regular training, athletic conditioning, strategy, injury management, etc.

Rigan fought Rickson publically, twice, and was beaten both times.

Twice? Is the video the 1st time? If so, any video or details of the 2nd time?

Hody

Hody -
HotSteppa - A lot of the NEW BJJers in the past decade don't realize that Rigan was considered a demi-God to most earlier BJJ practitioners. Make no mistake, he ran through world champions in training. He demolished Pe De Pano was threw a hissy fit apparently.
Rigan didn't have the mindset, to be a world champion. He had the skill, but you need a mind that is conducive to punctuality, regular training, athletic conditioning, strategy, injury management, etc.

Hody

I'd like to know, too. Rigan specifies in this video that he would never fight Rickson again after that match. 

Yes. He specifically says even if he had a chance for a rematch he would never take it.

Great post Malvert. VU

SecondBase - Great post Malvert. VU

Back at you, brother!

Hody -

Hody

I'm pretty sure there were TWO matches with Rickson in which Rigan tapped. Old Schoolers, anyone know? I am trying to remember back to mid-90s, but memory is foggy so perhaps I am wrong. 

HotSteppa -
Hody -

Hody

I'm pretty sure there were TWO matches with Rickson in which Rigan tapped. Old Schoolers, anyone know? I am trying to remember back to mid-90s, but memory is foggy so perhaps I am wrong. 

Rigan says never again in this video. Hmmm...now you're gonna make me google....aargh!

Hi everyone, my memory was correct, Rigan grappled Rickson twice and lost by choke and the other by, I believe, tapout due to exhaustion. 

I checked BJJ Heroes. The exhaustion one was at the "III Copa Company" tourament. 

HotSteppa - 
Hody -

Hody

yeah... I've seen a different one where the quality of the video was much worse. It's on youtube somewhere.

Very cool to see him describe it in his own words.

VU for Malvert!

Meatgrinder -
HotSteppa - 
Hody -

Hody

yeah... I've seen a different one where the quality of the video was much worse. It's on youtube somewhere.

That's a fake....read the description. These labels can't be trusted. And I'd trust Rigan's words anyway...he said never. 

Spankenstyne -

Very cool to see him describe it in his own words.

VU for Malvert!

And you!

HotSteppa -

Hi everyone, my memory was correct, Rigan grappled Rickson twice and lost by choke and the other by, I believe, tapout due to exhaustion. 

I checked BJJ Heroes. The exhaustion one was at the "III Copa Company" tourament. 

The date given is 1995. Was that perchance a secret match at the 95' JVT?

Very cool. Thanks for posting. VU

Respect

Rickson said he chocked him out but I dont think it was an actual match.I think he called it a demonstration.That was the rematch

In

ricksongjj - Rickson said he chocked him out but I dont think it was an actual match.I think he called it a demonstration.That was the rematch

Don't you mean, re-demonstration? 

: ) 

Rigan is a legend. In his prime, he was a wrecking machine.

In