Roger Gracie TV discussions: Site Videos

Judge Mental -

Do you know how humble and ego-free Roger has to be to allow this video of him and Braulio to get put out there for his subscribers?

Another testament to how GREAt Braulio actually is. IMO. One of the best ever. There is a reason he is Rogers best training partner. Steel sharpens steel.

https://www.rogergracietv.com/video/roger-sparring-022/

Great catch here, Judge. I just joined the site. As I was watching, I was thinking there is no way he’s going to tap. Then, lo and behold...awesome stuff

Lukinho -
Judge Mental -

Do you know how humble and ego-free Roger has to be to allow this video of him and Braulio to get put out there for his subscribers?

Another testament to how GREAt Braulio actually is. IMO. One of the best ever. There is a reason he is Rogers best training partner. Steel sharpens steel.

https://www.rogergracietv.com/video/roger-sparring-022/

Great catch here, Judge. I just joined the site. As I was watching, I was thinking there is no way he’s going to tap. Then, lo and behold...awesome stuff

Same here

Judge Mental - 
NicolasRGC - Roger is my all time favorite. Just the way he makes everything look so simple makes you think, hey I can do this lol.

I’ve tried to train with Roger twice, once in 2009 and then I dropped in at his academy a second time last month… each time he wasn’t there :frowning:

Did get some good rolls in with a few brown belts last time.

I hear he teaches like 4-6 of the classes each week. 

I shall train with him one day, I shall!

NicolasRGC - 
Judge Mental - 
NicolasRGC - Roger is my all time favorite. Just the way he makes everything look so simple makes you think, hey I can do this lol.

I’ve tried to train with Roger twice, once in 2009 and then I dropped in at his academy a second time last month… each time he wasn’t there :frowning:

Did get some good rolls in with a few brown belts last time.

I hear he teaches like 4-6 of the classes each week. 

I shall train with him one day, I shall!

Good luck man

Meatgrinder -

I guess no one does...

I didn't want to jump in until it sounded like he had a decent amount of content.

I also wanted to wait on some feedback...As awesome as his bjj is. I'm skeptical of what I would get out of his vids. He doesn't suprise me with a move that I've never seen (which is fine). However, he teaches a move like you don't know it. And that's fine to learn the basics of the move.... I just want to learn the nuances of how he's so damn good at it. That stuff often isn't visibly different. 

My friend did! He lent me his password so I could check it out. I'll probably join. Simple and tto-the-point videos. My only gripe is that some of the instructional videos are TOO short. a few would benefit from different angles and slight expansion on smaller details.

This is roger's game. Simple and direct approaches. If you are looking for deep half, berimbolo, X-guard, then this is definitely not for you. 

HotSteppa - 
Meatgrinder -

I guess no one does...

I didn't want to jump in until it sounded like he had a decent amount of content.

I also wanted to wait on some feedback...As awesome as his bjj is. I'm skeptical of what I would get out of his vids. He doesn't suprise me with a move that I've never seen (which is fine). However, he teaches a move like you don't know it. And that's fine to learn the basics of the move.... I just want to learn the nuances of how he's so damn good at it. That stuff often isn't visibly different. 

My friend did! He lent me his password so I could check it out. I'll probably join. Simple and tto-the-point videos. My only gripe is that some of the instructional videos are TOO short. a few would benefit from different angles and slight expansion on smaller details.

This is roger's game. Simple and direct approaches. If you are looking for deep half, berimbolo, X-guard, then this is definitely not for you. 

Not sure if you're missing my point... I'm not looking for deep half, berimbolo, rogerplata or whatever.... Its exactly the smaller details.

I'd like to know how he does many of the same moves as others, but has much better success. If it's timing, then what does he key on to react quicker. What's the tell? If it's a subtle nuance in pressure or angle that is critical, that's what I'd like to know. I was just looking for feedback on whether his vids helpred to exposed that information.

Meatgrinder - 
HotSteppa - 
Meatgrinder -

I guess no one does...

Not sure if you're missing my point... I'm not looking for deep half, berimbolo, rogerplata or whatever.... Its exactly the smaller details.

I'd like to know how he does many of the same moves as others, but has much better success. If it's timing, then what does he key on to react quicker. What's the tell? If it's a subtle nuance in pressure or angle that is critical, that's what I'd like to know. I was just looking for feedback on whether his vids helpred to exposed that information.

I know exactly what you're saying. The lessons he teaches I think you will actually like. The ones his dad teaches are also quite awesome and detailed.

The thing you will also get a ton out of is watching him roll. IMO. For me thats extremely valueble. Lots of videos of him rolling and a lot of him rolling positionally which I really find useful.

I just signed up.. wanna study homeboys top game, see how he avoids getting caught on dlr/ spider ect

Meatgrinder -
HotSteppa - 
Meatgrinder -

I guess no one does...

Sorry, was just replying in general to the thread. I'm not sure. Since there are so many videos and variations out there now, it is hard to say whether or not you would benefit. I have already learned a few details I had not, in my experiences, seen elsewhere. But, I would join unless you want to learn his GAME. IMHO, these sites should be for people who want to learn the philosophy and technique of the individual who is teaching, as opposed to specific things. IT's hard to say as I have only been on the site a few times. As a black belt, you might have seen a lot of it, ad I am not sure if all the cumulative details will make it worth it financially for you. But I'll need time to be sure. New stuff is uploaded each week, I think. 

burner22 - 

I just signed up.. wanna study homeboys top game, see how he avoids getting caught on dlr/ spider ect

Love to hear your thoughts.

As my only complaint is the sorting and dating. I wish they would put the upload dates and allow you to make notes on your account per video.

if youre looking for stuff on the way roger plays guard, get the trumpet dan instructional on budovideos…if youve seen his youtube series it expands on it a bit, and he gives answers to a couple different reactions the opponent gives you that i was having trouble with

Judge Mental -

How about those rolls with Rafael Lovato???!??!?

Roger was def not trying to give him any space at all. Man that pressure is rediculous. 

Firther confirmed a couple of things for me.

1. Rafael is definately one of the GOATS

2. Rogers game is incredibly simple and his guard passing is very old school like Roy HArris

3. I would have loved to have seen Roger x Rodolfo. I think that's the one guy that could have given Roger some real trouble. He steamrolled everyone and one of the few guys beside Roger to tap Buchecha and Lovato.

What number roll is that?

Meatgrinder - There's obviously some crossover with what's available on other sites or instructionals in general, but have Roger's details. Everything is very straightforward, basic jiu-jitsu (as you would expect), but covers what he's looking for, what reactions he's expecting etc.

Case in point is with one of Roger's basic half guard sweeps, when opp has the crossface and underhook, and you bridge towards them and roll them over in that direction. Roger breaks down exactly what he's looking for here. Roger starts pushing on the opp's outside leg to regain full guard. He's waiting for the opp to triangle their legs around his to avoid having the outside leg (let's say Roger's right leg is inside the half guard, making it opp's left leg that's the outside leg) pushed down as part of being put back into full guard. When they do that, Roger walks both of his legs to his left, taking the opp's legs and hips with him, and taking away their base to Roger's right. At that point Roger bridges strongly to his right, with his right hand blocking opp's right knee, and over they go.

Apologies for the bad description, but basically it's one of the most basic half guard sweeps/rolls of all time, and Roger's giving details that I've never seen before. And he does the same with everything else too.

James

Sir Taps - 

Meatgrinder - There's obviously some crossover with what's available on other sites or instructionals in general, but have Roger's details. Everything is very straightforward, basic jiu-jitsu (as you would expect), but covers what he's looking for, what reactions he's expecting etc.

Case in point is with one of Roger's basic half guard sweeps, when opp has the crossface and underhook, and you bridge towards them and roll them over in that direction. Roger breaks down exactly what he's looking for here. Roger starts pushing on the opp's outside leg to regain full guard. He's waiting for the opp to triangle their legs around his to avoid having the outside leg (let's say Roger's right leg is inside the half guard, making it opp's left leg that's the outside leg) pushed down as part of being put back into full guard. When they do that, Roger walks both of his legs to his left, taking the opp's legs and hips with him, and taking away their base to Roger's right. At that point Roger bridges strongly to his right, with his right hand blocking opp's right knee, and over they go.

Apologies for the bad description, but basically it's one of the most basic half guard sweeps/rolls of all time, and Roger's giving details that I've never seen before. And he does the same with everything else too.

James

This is fantastic! Thanks... Doesn't matter if your details are good or bad for this move... you've given me insight that exactly answers my question. Maybe he'll have a christmas special and I'll give it a go.

burner22 - 
Judge Mental -

Roger was def not trying to give him any space at all. Man that pressure is rediculous. 

2. Rogers game is incredibly simple and his guard passing is very old school like Roy HArris

3. I would have loved to have seen Roger x Rodolfo. I think that's the one guy that could have given Roger some real trouble. He steamrolled everyone and one of the few guys beside Roger to tap Buchecha and Lovato.

Not sure off hand. They need to do a better search function on the site is my only gripe. I believe it was 32 or 39? there is like 2-3 vids of him rolling with Lovato and each is about 10 mins.

Same with Braulio.

ttt

Judge Mental -
burner22 - 
Judge Mental -

Not sure off hand. They need to do a better search function on the site is my only gripe. I believe it was 32 or 39? there is like 2-3 vids of him rolling with Lovato and each is about 10 mins.

Same with Braulio.

Awesome rolls. Man I love roger. So simple. Did u see his footlock defense? It kinda blew my mind how simple it was

burner22 - 
Judge Mental -
burner22 - 
Judge Mental -

Same with Braulio.

Awesome rolls. Man I love roger. So simple. Did u see his footlock defense? It kinda blew my mind how simple it was

In which video?

Judge Mental -
burner22 - 
Judge Mental -
burner22 - 
Judge Mental -

Same with Braulio.

In which video?

Not in the rolling vids. The technique one

If any of you guys notice a sign up special or referral special... please post it here.