Screwed up "justice" system

1. Some of you cannot READ - where did I admit to running the stop sign?  I said I did NOT run it.  I had time to look left, right, ahead, AND in my rear-view mirror.  NOT ANOTHER MOVING CAR IN SIGHT. 

2. As far as taxpayer money being wasted, I've been paying taxes in that town for the last 18 years.  I guess if there's a few dollars to be "wasted," I've contributed enough at this point to not be too worried about it.

3. The "screwed up" part is that the fine for a stop sign - at 1 am with ZERO traffic on the road - is more than an ADMITTED 19 mile hour excess over the speed limit......... I go through that same intersection about a dozen times a week, at least.  I'm well aware of when there is - or isn't - other vehicles, pedestrians, etc. etc.

4. Some of you ARE being pretty high and mighty.  You weren't there.  So shut the fuck up!

5. I have quite a few friends who are cops....... I have nothing but RESPECT for law enforcement doing their job.  I have ZERO respect for a very young looking female cop who makes shit up - probably just to impress her new boss now that she's just graduated from police academy, or whatever her deal is.  I STOPPED.  Maybe she'll show up in court and the judge will take her word over mine, but I am INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. 

6. Like I said, maybe I'll win, maybe I'll lose, but I DO have a right to fight this.  I have PAID MY TAXES, so I have no guilt there.  But I did NOT do anything wrong......... I'm gonnna fight this just for the PRINCIPLE of the matter! 

Thanks to those who gave words of support, encouragement, or advice.  To the ones who dissed me, called me names, or otherwise insulted me - get a life AND learn how to READ.

Adam

cough ticket quota cough

adam, i would definitely fight it. once you add in the insurance surcharges, tickets in many states add up to around a $1000.00. there have been a few books written on the most effective arguments to use in court to fight tickets, do your research, and you'll probably win.

as far as repeatedly changing the court date - our paperwork is TERRIBLE, and it is entirely possible that the officers summons will get lost if you flip flop it around a bit. if it's worth the aggravation.

Good luck, hope things turn out well for you...

I say you take a broom stick, and bash you arm and hands a few times.

Then take pics of the bruises, hit the local emegency room, and find a lawyer who will take a case of you getting beaten by a baton.

Free Rodney King!

"The fucked up part is that I DID stop at the stop sign. It's one of those 4-way stops, and I was making a left turn at 12:30 am. Not another car in sight, I slowed down, stopped just long enough for the suspension to equalize back out, and stepped on the gas. I was probably "fully stopped' for just an instant, but I DID stop. She argued that I didn't, took my paperwork, went back to her cruiser and then came up with a ticket for $199 for "failure to stop at a stop sign" and a verbal warning for my tail light."

Sounds like you must be driving a cop magnet, or you ARE a cop magnet. :)

I used to drive a really clean, kinda pimped out 84 Monte Carlo SS, and I had long hair. My god...when I wasn't getting pulled over, practically every kinda shady or semi-shady dude I came in contact with asked me if I had any weed (I am SOOOOOO not exaggerating, either). Now I drive a newer Acura TL, haven't been pulled over once. Cut my hair almost 10 years ago, and I'm sure that helped too. (Now everybody just thinks I'm gay)

but assuming that none of that advice applies to you, if you're going to contest the ticket (and I certainly would), you have to find a way to make your case and describe a scenario wherein the officer could have made a mistake...WITHOUT making the officer sound like a douche bag. I contested the only ticket I ever got (doing something like 24 mph in a school zone, which in WA is 20 mph), and the only reason I didn't get off was basically because I didn't lie or try to make the officer look good while describing his fuck up. I was a 21-year-old asshole who thought he knew everything and just went off at the judge...not a good idea.

If you got the cash, get a lawyer. Its worth the money, especially when you think of how much extra you'll pay in insurance. Most people would be AMAZED at how easily any half-assed attorney can lay the smackdown on a ticket. I'd wager at least 40% of all traffic tickets are bullshit, but most people are just too busy and/or cheap to spring for a lawyer.

LOL at this shit...

Thanks guys.

Don't know about being a "cop magnet" - I think I've only been pulled over 5 or 6 times in my entire life.....

Once for passing changing lanes on the insterstate to pass a car without using a directional

Once for not having my front license plate on my car (had it on the passenger seat - I just got the plates in the mail after buying the car, threw on the rear one, was in a hurry and didn't think I needed the front one - wrong!)

Once for having an expired inspection sticker - my mother-in-law passed away and I completely forgot about getting it inspected, paid $100 fine (that was 10 years ago)

Once for speeding...... doing 44 in a 35, got a warning from a sherriff (that was 15 years ago)

Another for speeding - that's the one I got this past March, paid the fine and got 2 points on my license.  I don't think the insurance company knows yet, 'cause my rates didn't change

Now this crap ticket over the stop sign thing - and I didn't realize until I just looked at it again, but she's got it down for 2 more points on my license.

The ticket says that the "waiver amount" is $199.00  That is what I need to pay if I wish to plead guilty or no contest, and if I fail to file a response within 20 days then that is what I will be required to pay, also.  If I plead "denied" to the charges, and then subsequently lose, the fine can range from $26 to $1176, and there will be a $30 court fee added on.

FOR THOSE WHO TOLD ME TO SUCK IT UP AND PAY IT:

You obviously don't have a friggen clue as to my situation, but my wife recently died after an 8 1/2 month battle with cancer.  During that time, I lost my job, lost the store that we had just invested thousands of dollars into, had to postpone everything to do with the Chris Brennan instructional series that we (I) will be doing, had to postpone the completion of the Joe Moreira instructional series I am in the middle of, had to cancel the plans to open up a second location for my school AND expand the existing school here locally, and taking care of my wife became a 24/7 job, around the clock, all day every day.  The last month and a half, she couldn't even get out of bed without help.  The last three weeks, she couldn't get out of bed AT ALL.  I haven't worked full-time since September.  I currently have 4 paying students, a part time job delivering magazines one day every two weeks, and my GROSS INCOME FOR THE LAST TWO MONTHS has only been $1300.00.  Keep in mind that I am MANY THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS in debt because of my wife's battle, my house payment alone is almost $1200.00 a month (right on the verge of losing it!!), and I had very little life insurance on my wife - it paid the funeral home's bill, last year's property taxes (they were going to send the house to auction, I paid them just in time), and June's mortgage payment. 

You can say "Just pay the fine" - sure, it's ONLY $199........ but I am behind on EVERYTHING right now, and the ONLY money I have to my name is $25 someone donated to my PayPal account yesterday, $13 in my wallet (for food), and $96.72 in the checkbook.  I'm finally looking for jobs again, and I think I'm going to land a full-time work-at-home job that starts next month and another part-time job at the local college that is just waiting on "final approval" from whatever Board oversees campus security, but it's going to be a LONG, SLOW CLIMB back to "financial health" - and $199.00 fine right now might as well be $199,000.00 - you can't get blood out of a stone!

Adam, I am so very sorry about your wife and your present situation. Please if you do fight this ticket get a LAWYER!!! I see to many people come to court and get reemed because the judges friend(the attorney) is not representing them. It will cost but they should get it dropped or lowered down to something less. All the talk of the cop not showing up at least at the sheriff's office I am with is garbage, the court always sets the date on the deputys next court date but you may get lucky. As for there not being any traffic, doesnt really matter at least here they just put in the notes traffic was light. I wish I could do more to help you out brother, again I am sorry and will keep you in my prayers! OZ

"Driving is a privilege, not a right. "

so our shitbag govty loves to tell us, but you know what thats the biggest crock of shit i have ever heard.

Not being able to drive in this country is a sever handicap, they just want to have a place to fuck with us and get money out of us under the guise of saving the innocent. BULLSHIT

ttt i feel 4 ya bro.

Adam, what state do you reside in? I would like to help if possible.

these kind of tickets are just a RACKET set up by the organized crime syndicate known as the local JUSTICE SYSTEM.

law dog - I live in Lyndonville, Vermont.

My email is info@adamlaclair.com if you want to reach me directly.

Thanks bro,

Adam

"Sounds like you have a problem with a single cops judgement call on your admittedly questionable stop - how does that reflect on the judicial system"

The cop is part of the justice system, his/her action reflects on that system. The same way customers have a problem with my company when one of my engineers or sales guys wrongs them. One bad apple is all it takes.

The fact that we are using tax payer money to fund an officer staking out a deserted 4 way stop sign in the middle of the night means the problem is beyond an individual officer, his/her whole management chain has condoned this despicable harassment of the public.

The overwhelming majority of traffic stops are just a way to inflict an illegal tax on the public.

Traffic court is in direct violation of our constitution and our judicial rights.

They deny us our right to a jury.

They don't force the govt to meet the legal burden of proof.

The allow hearsay evidence to be admitted.

It's just a way to steal money from the public.

I agree with a substantial portion of smac1's post.
Bullshit pull-overs are a big part of the reason I am finishing a law degree at the moment.

I got the same bullshit stop sign ticket. In my case, it was a four way stop. Me and the cop approached at about the same time (I was ahead by about six to eight seconds). Clear day, no one else around but me and him, and we could see each other unobstructed for about 50 yards before the stop. I get there and stop completely (at that time the cop is just pulling to a stop at me left). I look at him in the eye to see if he is going to go first (even though I was clearly there a few seconds before him), but he waits, so I make my left in front of him.

The cop busts a screeching U, but at the time I didn't think it had anything to do with me. It just so happens that by that time, I had made a right in my Court and was pulling into my driveway. The cop pulls up behind me while I am in my driveway! He gets out and asks me if I know why he is stopping me. I literally say " I have no idea!"

He repeats the same question, and I pause to ponder, and then put me hands up as if to say "I don't know?" He then says "are you trying to say that you stopped at the stop sign back there?" I say "you mean the one that we were just both at!!!?"

Long story shorter....I was thinking just like you....this is bullshit, I will go to court and fight this shit to the death!!! Went to first court date, judge implies that you have a right to fight it, but you'd be better off settling it now. He will reduce the fine, give you driving school, yadda, yadda if you cop a plea TODAY. I'm still thinking....to the death!

Go to second court date....watched person after person get mowed the fuck down! Guilty....Guilty....Guilty ( atleast 15 in a row before it's my turn). Then I got the same! Full fine, no option of traffic school. Never had a ticket in 22 years....no traffic school option! Cops pick the stop sign ticket because it creates a your word versus their word situation. Judge knows them, doesn't give a shit about you, case closed. I am also a sworn peace officer (P.O.) Didn't matter. Watched after my case was over....10 more straight guilty verdicts. Not one innocent the whole session.

Fight, but no you will likely lose. It will cost more, but you will feel better.

"Adam, I am so very sorry about your wife and your present situation. Please if you do fight this ticket get a LAWYER!!!"

if you read adam's post, this advice is worthless unless you found someone willing to work pro bono for him.

my lawyer friend that fights tickets gets paid $800.00 for an hour of work in the morning (nice way to start the day).

LOL at lawyers are good. biggest scam there is. Wait until your a victim of crime and see the lawyers treat your case like an assembly line and deal you away to avoid a trial and more work. Well unless your a defence because the longer it goes means more money.

Where i live dont bother with a lawyer for a minor traffick infraction. You plead not guilty and show up , the crown will offer you the same deal to avoid going to trial. Paying a lawyer for the same thing is a joke.