Sonnen: Leg kicks aren't effective

I'm a Chael fan, but damn sometimes he just says some really dumb shit. Phone Post

Mok The Ookla -  How about rizzo-couture? Phone Post
Couture won that though. lol

Gif of Chael attemping a leg kick :) blue please

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iYJ8QNW7Zrs/Tr1i7N9Jm6I/AAAAAAAAACI/2DvFt9yDuYQ/s1600/10001470.gif

I'd love for Joe Rogan to comment on this thread ;)

I'm pretty sure Sherman Pendergarst tapped to leg kicks on a UFC undercard as well.

Lawl. Chael is trolling n u guyz alwayz fall 4 it!

God I hope Chael keeps this shit up because even his nuthuggers are beginning to realize that saying inane shit all the time does not make you the funniest guy since George Carlin - it makes you look like an asshole.

I'd also add, regardless of fight ending potential, watching a fighter who is proficient with leg kicks is fantastic.  Love it.  Persoally, I would rather watch Desmond Dekker throwing leg kicks than any high-caliber wrestler completing takedowns.  I don't dislike wrestling, but man how can you not appreciate a good leg kick?

Weak leg kicks are useless and a liability but hard, clean leg kicks from someone who's good at them will fuck you up. Randy Couture has talked about what Rizzo's leg kicks did to his leg, part of the muscle died. Guys who kick like that would do hundreds of kicks a day for years, plus have the experience to set up and land the kick, obviously converted wrestlers or BJJ guys in MMA are rarely going to develop that kind of power but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

Why do we take everything that comes out of a troll's mouth so seriously?

mcq -  I'd also add, regardless of fight ending potential, watching a fighter who is proficient with leg kicks is fantastic.  Love it.  Persoally, I would rather watch Desmond Dekker throwing leg kicks than any high-caliber wrestler completing takedowns.  I don't dislike wrestling, but man how can you not appreciate a good leg kick?

i'd LOVE to see that! lol

im sure you meant ramon dekkers the dutch muay thai fighter and not desmond dekker, the jamaican ska/reggae pioneer

Here is a fight I had at Chael Sonnen's event, the FCFF. Chael commentates this fight and makes remarks about how effective my low kicks are vs. this Team Quest fighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRtU3Cw6-9w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdpH5eophWo

DallasVanWinkle - Here is a fight I had at Chael Sonnen's event, the FCFF. Chael commentates this fight and makes remarks about how effective my low kicks are vs. this Team Quest fighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRtU3Cw6-9w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdpH5eophWo

hahaha. I posted a gif of Chael throwing his own leg kick but no blue names helped me out

Gobulcoque -
paluka - video games? wtf. That's like saying body punches don't do anything. It's not just a KO that wins fights. The more things you have to defend against the more dangerous the fight.

Most superman punches are setup with some sort of leg kick or feint. It adds fatigue, and slows people down. How is it not effective?

Noone said they weren't effective at all, they're just not as effective as other strikes.

How many fights have been ended by leg kicks? How many fights have been ended by punching someone in the face? How many by head kick?

Guess which one is going to have the lowest number. That means they're secondary offense and not very effective.

Ha ! No one said they weren't effective ?? What is the title of the thread ? Phone Post

He said they "aren't very effective," not that they "aren't effective," which I think is a significant difference, so it would be nice if the news article title could at least be accurate.

I also think that like most techniques besides a power right hand or head kick, they aren't very effective in a vacuum. It's the unpredictability they add which makes them effective.

Wasa-B - Why do we take everything that comes out of a troll's mouth so seriously?

. Phone Post

Leg kicks are good to finish combos with.
Leg kicks are good to set up other strikes and combos.
Leg kicks f*** up your legs.
Leg kicks mix up your striking rhythm.
Leg kicks = more the opponent has to think about.
Stupid for Chael to think. Phone Post

The problem is that most people in MMA don't really throw GOOD leg kicks....it isn't just slightly kicking the leg to keep busy.  The technique and timing of leg kicks is crucial for making them effective.

If you get a muay thai practitioner who is well versed in throwing leg kicks, then they certainly become much more of a factor.  It's just that most MMA guys don't have the striking pedigree to throw really awesome low kicks....

The only guys that stand out to me that throw really good low kicks are Jose Aldo, Thiago Alves, Anderson Silva, Antoni Hardonk and a few others.  Most guys that I've seen just don't throw them that well.

He is sooo right.......and triangle chokes don't do $h!t either!

he is telling a white lie but he means that it isn't like shogun is going to finish dan henderson with a leg kick.

Leg kicks are effective though, if shogun kicked me in the leg, i would have my knee cap snapped in half.

ArthurFonzerill - *bringing up a fight from the 90's is an example of good leg kicks doesnt really help ur case

Aldo vs Faber
Alves vs Koscheck
Shogun vs Machida
Siver vs Wiman