MMA Underground Forums

Spike TV to air LIVE K-1 events

vandelay - Amazing news! Phone Post

. Phone Post

Cyril Jeff -  ^can you imagine?

yeah it would be so awesome gets giddy

bellator, their TUF type show and K-1 for 2012. yay!

MMALOGIC - 
Chris27 - How do you think K 1 is gonna do on Spike? What kind of ratings? Better than Bellator?

k1 was on espn... didnt do anything.  Im sure spike got it on the cheap...  it's a good diversification.  I think eventually if bellator is a dissapointment they are gonna get out of the promotion business and just license mma content like hdnet is doing on the cheap.

All the showed was Kimo vs Bob Sapp and Cung Le's San Shou fights. Not a hell of alot to grow the sport.

Gregg Roach - 

@Chris27- They used to show K-1 (and maybe another kickboxing promotion) on ESPN2. It never really took off.  I think with the growth of MMA and Spike's push, Kickboxing will fare better this time around.  Well, I hope it will fare better, I should say.

Strikeforce before it became an MMA organization.

MMALOGIC -
Chris27 - How do you think K 1 is gonna do on Spike? What kind of ratings? Better than Bellator?

k1 was on espn... didnt do anything.  Im sure spike got it on the cheap...  it's a good diversification.  I think eventually if bellator is a dissapointment they are gonna get out of the promotion business and just license mma content like hdnet is doing on the cheap.

Yea but you have to remember espn barely shows Boxing and gives it no advertising(its a shame cause I love teddy Atlas). Most mma fans like/watch kickboxing anyway so this deal should workout very well if spike promotes K-1 right. I greatly enjoy mma but I think kickboxing is the exciting combat sport. Phone Post

john joe - im surprised they didnt go with Glory World Series, i know they were talking to Spike. Coz K1 has the brand name but Glory has the fighters - their heavyweight division is nuts. K1 are using oldtimers and a few guys they found at a sparsely attended tryout.

interesting to see how it all turns out

John Joe, I thought Bas said GWS is signed long term with AXS for US distribution, is that not correct?

Do you have to live in America to watch streams on spike.com? Phone Post

Spike TV, K-1 Announce Television Partnership

Daniel Herbertson, MMA Fighting

Aug 20, 2012 - Combat sports fans waiting for Bellator to start on Spike TV in 2013 will have something to hold them over in the interim.

On Monday, the cable network announced a partnership with K-1, which will bring the world's largest kickboxing organization to Spike.

While the deal to run live fights on the network doesn't kick in until 2013, there will be four events streamed on Spike.com over the remainder of the year.

This includes events in Los Angeles on Sept. 8; Tokyo on Oct. 14; Athens on Dec. 8 and New York on Dec. 26.

---read the rest here----

GLORY is the number 1 KB org out there and it's not even close. The only thing K-1 has right now is the name. Hopefully we'll see some fighters floating between both orgs. The important thing is that kickboxing will be airing live on basic cable, which is fucking great no matter how you look at it. I think this is a great move. 2013 should be an interesting year for Spike.

DanTheWolfman - I'd like to go cover the Sept 8th LA event

get Luke to hook it up...

SamboMMA - 
Gregg Roach - 

@Chris27- They used to show K-1 (and maybe another kickboxing promotion) on ESPN2. It never really took off.  I think with the growth of MMA and Spike's push, Kickboxing will fare better this time around.  Well, I hope it will fare better, I should say.

Strikeforce before it became an MMA organization.

You'd think someone on this forum wouldn't forget something like that, especially since SF just held an event. shrugs

It's like people have no idea what state K-1 is in right now. I hesitate to call this good news considering they could be putting out a product that kills kickboxing in the states. Hint: their first card is being headlined by Rick Roufus...in 2012. Trying to be optimistic but as a kickboxing fan this scares the shit out of me. I genuinely hope they get their act together by 2013 but have my doubts they'll even be around by then.

john joe - im surprised they didnt go with Glory World Series, i know they were talking to Spike. Coz K1 has the brand name but Glory has the fighters - their heavyweight division is nuts. K1 are using oldtimers and a few guys they found at a sparsely attended tryout.

interesting to see how it all turns out

They may still very well do that (assuming glory doesnt have other commitments)... 

I doubt spike is signing any type of exlusivity on their end...  meaning they still likely have the rights to air whatever other kickboxing, boxing or mma org they want... in addition to what they already have.

They're in the drivers seat at this point.

Yeah things are def different now and Spike is a known network for combat sports fans.

You will see them push it, every week during TNA and Bellator they will run promo's for it leading up to an event but I'm just not sure if its gonna take off.

I think its probably cheap programming to help fill the void left by the UFC. Bellator alone cant replace that so they add a few more things.

I thought I read something about Spike getting into boxing as well?

http://www.badlefthook.com/2012/1/6/2686485/top-rank-spike-tv-boxing-series-2012-rumors

So it seems like if they do that they will look to go from UFC which was huge for them, now go with Bellator to take 1/3, boxing take 1/3 and kickboxing take 1/3.

Basically become the combat sports channel representing all three of them and wrestling.

Thats a smart play. They can probably secure deals for less than they woudl have had to pay the UFC and if they do that boxing deal, with that and Bellator and some K 1 they can run an event each week of the year.

Will be interesting to see how it does.

Gregg Roach - 

In all fairness, the only time I'd ever catch it on ESPN was around 3am.

mixedmartialfarts -  OH SHIT SON!!  Between K-1 and Bellator, Spike is setting themselves up to be a power player in the world of combat sports.

This!!!

Unreal news. Be great to have K-1 more accessible now. Phone Post

K1 is better than ufc entertainment wise. Phone Post

caposa -  GLORY is the number 1 KB org out there and it's not even close. The only thing K-1 has right now is the name. Hopefully we'll see some fighters floating between both orgs. The important thing is that kickboxing will be airing live on basic cable, which is fucking great no matter how you look at it. I think this is a great move. 2013 should be an interesting year for Spike.

this... here's to hoping to see all the top kickboxers on tv, one way or another. fuck i would love that!

YES

whoa. this has the potential to be huge Phone Post