Spirulina?

Anybody here have any experience with Spirulina?

Compare Spirulina to Marine Phytoplankton
www.bjjequipment.com/phyto.asp

I knew you'd post that... lol

Spirulina is a freshwater microalgae (1 species). The significant thing is that algae are the base of the marine food chain (fresh and salt water).

The microalgae are plants and are considered
Superfoods because they contain nutritional building blocks that are accessable at the celluar level.
Different species of microalgae contain different combinations of nutritional elements.

The thing that is different about microalgae from the ocean is that it contains around 200 species of microalgae. The largest mammals in the world diet almost exclusively off of microalgae and krill (which feed off of microalgae).

I've been taking saltwater microalgae for about two months now. Mental clarity and sharpness increased immediately. After about two weeks appetite decreased. I lost 10 lbs in the past two months.

Do some research on your own...

So if I want to be as muscular as a whale I should eat algae? Or will I lose weight? I'm so confused.

"Do some research on your own..."

I read about it already smart guy...

What was my question?

Anybody here have any experience with Spirulina?

"Mental clarity and sharpness increased immediately."

Think so huh?

"Think so huh?"

i'll believe it...though i shudder to think about what his previous mental state was

The largest mammals in the world diet almost exclusively off of microalgae and krill (which feed off of microalgae).

Means nothing in terms of a human diet.

Do some research on your own...

There's none to look at.  If you know of any, please share it.

Yeah... I use it to feed my saltwater fish. What do you want to know.

"After about two weeks appetite decreased."

That's bad, isnt it?

Didn't mean any offense.. I don't have any experience with Spirulina. I'll bow out of this thread..

Quit trying to hock your own shit here (and worthless shit at that).  Spamming is against forum rules.

"Quit trying to hock your own shit here (and worthless shit at that). Spamming is against forum rules." - pfsjkd

1) Not spamming. Spam is, by definition, unsolicited. The guy was soliciting information. I provided information that was germain to his post.

2) Do you have anything to offer, or are you just troll around looking for people to attack?

Tell this guy it is worthless shit:
http://www.mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?ac=SetMasterFrame&FID=27&PID=17

Do you have anything to offer, or are you just troll around looking for people to attack?

It's not up to me to try and disprove your claims.  It's up to you to prove them.  Therefore, no, I have nothing to offer.  I'm not the one making crazy claims about fish food.

And I've asked YOU several times on multiple threads for VALID research on the supposedly miracle effects of this stuff.  You have yet to provide any info other than, 'do your own research.', and 'it works for me'.  Hmmm, it works for you and lo and behold, you just happen to be selling the stuff.  Wow.  That's some objective evidence right there! [/sarcasm]

You did NOT provide info germain to his post, as he was asking about spirulina and NOT phytoplankton.  You admitted as much yourself in your above post.

You're selling this stuff, so it's highly unethical to just come here, make a bunch of wild claims that you can't, or won't, back up with any valid study and try to use totally anecdotal evidence to support it when pressed.

I will take your criticism sincerely. In my defense:

How many times did you use the words "Wild Claims" or "Crazy Claim"?
Name 1 "Wild Claim" that I have made.. Name One.. or where I stated some sort of "miracle effects".

Germain: "Literally, near akin; hence, closely allied; appropriate or fitting; relevant."
- My post fits the definition of Germain (near akin).

- If you believe that you need to enforce a rule that responses to threads somehow need to be highly narrowly specific, please inform me how you are enforcing your rule on other threads. Or is it just for me.

The reason that I ask others to look into it themselves is because I am NOT asking them to take my word for it.

As far as my selling it. Yes I do. I sell it because I take it. If I sell a case of the stuff I make enough money to pay for my 1 bottle a month. It is almost not worth it to have to take the time and deal with the hostility, but I do it because I personally and others that I know have had very positive results.

There is plenty of evidence in support of fresh water algae, but salt water algae has never been available as a supplement for humans until January of this year.

I will take you at your word and believe that you are sincerely interested in the research/evidence.

Name One.. or where I stated some sort of "miracle effects".

OK, how about:

"Mental clarity and sharpness increased immediately. After about two weeks appetite decreased. I lost 10 lbs in the past two months."

Pretty miraculuous benefits when attributed SOLELY to phytoplankton.

As far as 'wild claims', claiming that something that benefits whales will benefit humans certainly classifies as 'wild' when it comes to science.  Why don't we give whales some brown rice, veggies, omega-3 fatty acids, etc.  That stuff is good for us, so it should be good for whales, too, right?  That's the logical extension of your argument and I think we'd all agree that it's nonsense.  Yet, that's the exact argument you're using for the benefits of phytoplankton; it's good for whales, so it must be good for us.

If that's true, then logically the reverse must be true also.

Also, I don't want your research sent to my email address, as I don't give it out on public forums or to people that I don't know.  If you have something, please share it here, so everyone can benefit.

I'll be more than happy to.

I'll take the easiest one.. Omega-3s. We don't need to give the whales Omega-3s.. they already get them from the primary producers of Omega-3s... Phytoplankton...

References to follow...

Full text:

http://listproc.ucdavis.edu/archives/seafood/log9812/0051.html

Omega-3 is a general description for the highly polyunsaturated fatty acids in fish oils. It refers to the position in the fatty acid chain (three
carbons away from the end of the chain). This is the position if the first double bond or pair of missing hydrogen s in the polyunsaturated fatty acids in fish oils. Omega-3 fatty acids normally have 15, 17, or 19 carbon atoms.

Only animals that are part of the food chain from the sea have these long chain omega-3 fatty acids available for consumption.

This is because these substances are made in the first place by phytoplankton - the tiny aquatic plants that serve as food for small fish and produce oxygen for the atmosphere. Fish devouring other fish accumulate fats and the omega-3 fatty acids become concentrated through the food chain.

Graduate College of Marine Studies, University of Deleware

Full text:
http://www.ocean.udel.edu/mas/seafood/nutritioninfo.html

The most important omega-3 fatty acids found in seafood are eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Fish and shellfish ingest and accumulate omega-3 fattyacids through the food chain from algae and phytoplankton, the primary producers of omega-3 fatty acids.