stripes on your belt ?? (bjj)

Several years ago I received a green belt from a BJJ instructor. After moving to a different school, I threw it in the trash and went back to being a white belt.

Green Belt = LAME

my coach adds stripes. but his reasons are "anti business". he figures that its stupid to have a ton of belts and charge for each ascention. you DO pay for the belt ($20), the stripes you don't. i like that you do have a better idea of where you are at and what is expected of you next. small goals build into larger ones and all that.

btw-our gym dues are the lowest i have ever really heard of. definately not in it for the easy $-MM

Seems useful to me as far as showing your standing within that particular school. When I started training in Kyokushin some 20 years ago we only had white> yellow> green> brown> black. As you trained our instructor would add stripes the color of the next belt.

The stripes always made me feel better when I was getting tapped out by higher ranking blue belts.

"How do you know how close you are?"

i think you can tell by the other guys in the school

" The stripes always made me feel better when I was getting tapped out by higher ranking blue belts."

what about getting beaten by lower ranking guys ?

stripes are good for commercial purposes

BUT everybody knows whos who, you dont need stripes

is this true ...
martial arts used to only have white and black belts,
because a white belt colour eventually turned black after years of training ?

I tied mine to the bumper of my car and so far it's only turned blue.

I'll keep draggin it.

i can tell you that the belts and stripes are not just given away. they are earned. who cares if green belt is added? it adds to motivation. its nice to know where you stand and have a goal that is closer rather than farther

stealing and changing the example used earlier (props) if somebody is told to lose 20 pounds and are rewarded every 5 pounds they lose, they are more likely to lose the weight

the only reason an instructor uses stripes is for commercial purposes

and periodical belt/stripe presentations are another farce

big difference between bjj belts and other belts!

If you have to pay money for stripes or belts - bad thing.
If you don't (and the majority of top instructors doesn't charge for stripes/belts afaik) what's the problem?

"ATT also added a green belt between white and blue because it can take 2 years to get a legit blue and that is a long time to not know where u stand."What color belts do actual green belts wear if they made up a green belt?

I know a talented blackbelt who when he was a bluebelt thought the stripes were sillly, took them off shortly after receiving them, because he relished in demolishing the egos of higher striped belts in tournaments.

My instructor gives out stripes as a way of keeping tabs on peoples progress. They are hard to get, especially after white belt.

He doesn't charge for the belt nor the stripes. It is McDojo to do that. Adding stripes is something I've seen people do from Japan to Ireland to here. So it is obviously now something that is considered a part of BJJ worldwide.

Rob Mac,I award stripes on my white belts. It is a way of me charting progress and keeping me honest as far as paying close attention to where people are at in their training. There are phases where I expect certain things from students as far as skill and knowledge.I also do not charge for belts. When they are ready, I buy the belt discretely and get my Black Belt coach to confirm my recommendation. They get the belt when they are getting their ass kicked in an iron man session.... slapped right across their butt.If I have several students getting promoted, that's that many more belts I have to buy on my own.

As far as Green Belt? I had one when I trained at another school before I got Blue. It was clearly a money making thing as the Greens competed as White Belts in tournaments unless they were kids. Stripes would have been fine for me.

There is a big difference between a kid who got his blue belt yesterday and one who is going to get his purpler belt tomorrow.

I don't see what the big deal is about letting folks no where people are at.

It makes for a much better training environment.

Tomato Can - Honestly I think adding a belt is silly. Hell, you could even remove one without much issue. Stripes are fine as an indicator of progress, since a guy who just get his blue belt and a guy who's had his for a couple of years might be at very different levels.

correct, I smoke no stripe blues like a one hitter pipe