UFC 172 Jones vs Teixeira = 350k buys

Knockoutimus - Jones isn't a likable star Phone Post 3.0
Didn't even watch the fight when I knew it was available the next day. 30+ minutes didn't seem worth it. Phone Post 3.0

NakedCowboyOnMyRear -
Wisdom100 - 

I don't believe in this PPV numbers... i hope dana comes out and confirms the true numbers

Mark my words, there is no way that card did only 350k

jesus christ, you are such a huge fucking faggot. probably the biggest faggot on the UG. and that's saying a lot.........my god.

you MUST be a troll because there's no way someone can be as much a faggot as you are.

I sucked three dicks today. Looks like you owe him an apology. Phone Post 3.0

DoomFarmer - I didn't mean it ended up BEING a bad card, just a bad card on paper.
I gotcha! Voted you up bruduh Phone Post 3.0

People get confused in thinking that these are horrible numbers when in reality selling nearly 400,000 PPVs one or twice a month is great! Not to mention all the free content and fights we get that still pull decent ratings. Just because Floyd puts on one or two fights a year that do a million buys doesn't mean that trumps the UFC doing 2 a month at 300,00-400,000 all year. If the UFC as a promotional company is worth around 3.5 billion what's Mayweather promotions worth or Goldenboy or Bob Arum? The UFC spreads the money throughout the card wisely so they can put on all these events and not just a couple a year and pay the guys 50 million. MMA would be barely a spectacle. Phone Post

No, as a consumer, it isn't great seeing the sport watered down like this.

If every fight is supposed to be the biggest of all time, then there's just nothing special about any one show to make it PPV worthy. It's just not a "happening" anymore.

UFC 172 was a perfectly nice night of fights, sure. But can you justify paying $100+ a month on PPV, plus fight pass, plus a premium cable bill, all to be a UFC fan? If you're an MMA fan, maybe you might like to attend a local independent event, too?

It adds up, and numbers like these show it isn't adding up to the kind of numbers we've seen before for ZUFFA

There's so much more free mma on tv than there was just a few years ago. It's honestly got to be a big card or a social event for me to drop $60 now. Phone Post 3.0

Simon H -
DoomFarmer - Are we acting like they don't promote Jones or something?

It was just a bad card.
Did you watch it? Awesome night of fights Phone Post 3.0
The amount of buys has to do with how the card looks on paper prior to the fights taking place. In this particular case you had a main card headlined by what was generally perceived as a mismatch by hardcore fans, and oddsmakers, so a lot was riding on Jones' drawing power as one of the bigger names, currently, in the sport. The main card overall (in retrospect) wasn't anything to write home about, but on the other hand I thought the prelims were great. Phone Post 3.0

In reality ronda and Jones are not big stars. Not really have to see television. Phone Post 3.0

Bring back Nick Diaz Phone Post 3.0

the ufc is doing a poor job in promoting these ppvs Phone Post

That's a pretty good number right? Phone Post 3.0

Good Boy Killa - 
bleedblue1 - Bellator will probably beat that Phone Post 3.0
Bellator will be lucky to get 100k Phone Post 3.0

Some say 100, no k.

ShaqNoob -
Good Boy Killa - 
bleedblue1 - Bellator will probably beat that Phone Post 3.0
Bellator will be lucky to get 100k Phone Post 3.0

Some say 100, no k.

Thats fucked up. Come on, everyone knows they'll get at least 40,000 buys. Phone Post 3.0

mdtreo7979 - I hate to break it to you OP but since the UFC is a private company they are the only one who knows how much any ppv sold. How does one come up with an "estimate" if there's nothing to base it off of? Are they basing it off WWE and boxing buys? Then trying to factor in how big of a draw the main event is, what event it followed etc.? All bullshit. Phone Post 3.0
You ain't breaking a damn thing to me, player. Dave Meltzer has sources within the industry. His numbers have been respected for a long time. Sherri Spencer, gsps and Frankie edgars ex manager, confirmed that meltzers numbers are usually close to the actual numbers but not exact. She would know because gsp got ppv points. Phone Post 3.0

chadp - Jones will probably blame it on Glover. Just like he did with Machida, Vitor,... Phone Post 3.0

So... Chad... Did you buy it?  Since Glover, Machida, and Vitor were all supposed to be his biggest test, the one to dethrine him, yiu would think that even non-fans like you would buy it hoping to see Jones lose.  So... did you?  Or do you just go to Hooters?

I bet they more then double there numbers at half the cost.. smart people stream shit cause the low quality events UFC puts on.

All that tells me is that Bellator will be lucky to do 20k ppv sells. Phone Post 3.0

Dana Stern - People get confused in thinking that these are horrible numbers when in reality selling nearly 400,000 PPVs one or twice a month is great! Not to mention all the free content and fights we get that still pull decent ratings. Just because Floyd puts on one or two fights a year that do a million buys doesn't mean that trumps the UFC doing 2 a month at 300,00-400,000 all year. If the UFC as a promotional company is worth around 3.5 billion what's Mayweather promotions worth or Goldenboy or Bob Arum? The UFC spreads the money throughout the card wisely so they can put on all these events and not just a couple a year and pay the guys 50 million. MMA would be barely a spectacle. Phone Post
"BEEP"

- Shill_Detector Phone Post 3.0

I've got the answer to the slide in PPV figures...

Create a couple of new weight classes ('peanut' and 'fluff' weight should do it) and then use these extra divisions to put on more events.

Maybe even consider a fluff weight version of TUF so that all the losers can start padding future PPVs.

Failing that, why not start a kids division? Phone Post 3.0

PrettyBoy - That's a pretty good number right? Phone Post 3.0
The number itself isn't necessarily terrible. It's certainly not Aldo-TKZ bad (175K).

The problem is that in past years, average PPVs that did 350K were buoyed by GSP and Andy bringing in 600K+ once or twice a year. They're gone, at least for now, so the UFC really needs JBJ to pick up some of that slack they left. Phone Post 3.0