UFC LW title picture

Didn’t Islam just prove those rankings mean nothing

2 Likes

There’s been back and forth on twitter between Islam an Volk and a couple FW’s

Nothing official yet. But I wonder what the hold up is for an announcement?

Even if Dustin beats chandler I don’t believe he deserves a title shot

2 Likes

I don’t want to see Dustin get a title shot if he beats Chandler because it would be his third title shot after he just lost in title fights vs Khabib and Oliveira. His only other wins since losing to Khabib are over Conor and Hooker, two fighters who are not relevant at all to the top 10 in 2021/2022.

As it stands right now, you have to go back to 2018 and the Gaethje fight to find the last time Poirier beat someone who is in the top 10 in 2022. Dustin has not fought all year.

With fighters not being as active as one another and having different roads to the title, it can be very subjective who “deserves” the next title shot.

I’d like to see the Tsarukyan vs Ismagulov winner get a big fight next, same with Kutateladze, Turner and Fiziev.

I’d much rather see Dariush get the next title shot over the Poirier vs Chandler winner but with the way things go in the UFC I’m sure the Poirier Chandler winner will get the shot over Dariush.

3 Likes

Beneil definitely deserves it over them two. Totally agree

2 Likes

Beneil-at his peak right now or his last fight was his peak and hes on yhe downside soon.

Volkanovski-is in his prime right now

Islam-is in his prime right now

Dustin-has lost his hunger, is past his prime, and just utilizing lifelong acquired skills to stay relevant but again, his hunger is gone

Chandler-see Dustin

Jim Miller will look to add onto his record for most wins in UFC history in February.

Miller (35-16 MMA, 24-15 UFC) will meet Gabriel Benitez (23-10 MMA, 7-6 UFC) at a UFC Fight Night event Feb. 18. A location and venue has not yet been announced.

A person with knowledge of the matchup confirmed the booking to MMA Junkie, but asked to remain anonymous because the promotion has yet to make an official announcement. ESPN Deportes was first to report the news.

Winner of his three in a row by finish, Miller is enjoying his best octagon run in years. At UFC 276 in July, he became the sole owner of most wins in the promotion’s history when he submitted Donald Cerrone in the second round.

3 Likes

Love me some Jim Miller. Will be rooting for him no question

3 Likes

Oh you mean same as Islam before he fought Charles.

I told them all they would kiss the feet of Islam before it was over.

The prophecies were foretold.

No one’s kissing his feet, it was just a great performance that showed a lot more of his potential and skill set…most predicted he’d run through Dariush if he had to fight him before Charles so not much has changed. Biggest change is probably people’s perspective on how Charles vs Khabib would’ve went, not so much about Islam at all.

1 Like
1 Like

Pretty cool

Khamzat vs Colby / Usman vs Edwards / Islam vs Volk all within a month

1 Like

Now official

1 Like

Oh-sure GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Big wins and impressive performances and finishes for Frevola, Moicano and Hooker last night.

Chandler vs Poirier was fireworks and FOTN as expected.

2 Likes

Parnasse defended his KSW title last night and moved to 17-1 and he is only 24 years old.

I’d expect to see him sign with the UFC in a year or two if Bellator does not get him.

If Islam beats Volk, is it a shot at the 170lb title next?

Who knows, I suspect he will want to attempt to defend a few times at LW to build his brand as the GOAT LW before he attempts to win the WW title.

Hats off to Poirier.

Dustin now holds the record for most FOTN performances in UFC history at 8. He shares that record with Frankie, Nate and Barboza.

Within his last 12 fights he also won POTN twice in his wins over Conor in their 2nd fight and vs Alvarez in their 2nd fight.

In his past 12 fights only in the NC vs Alvarez, the last Conor fight where he broke his leg and the two title fight losses did Poirier not earn either FOTN or POTN.

The whole 12 fight stretch started with a FOTN performance win vs Jim Miller who himself holds the record for 2nd most FOTN performances in UFC history with 7. Dustin has had quite the career resurgence since he was KOed quickly by Michael Johnson prior to the Miller fight.

After losing to Conor at FW, Poirier returned to LW and has now gone 13-3 in that time and has earned 10 FOTN and POTN awards over those sixteen LW fights.

6 Likes

There are 14 fighters who have earned 6 or more FOTN awards in UFC history.

12/14 of those fighters were UFC LWs. Only Cub Swanson and Chris Lytle were not LW.

Even looking at the five fighters who have earned 5 FOTN awards, they fight at FW, WW and MW.

Yet more evidence UFC would have done well to expand to 145, 155, 165 and 175 given the size of the talent pools.

Adding those four WMMA classes and ignoring the need for 65 was such a waste.

As a surprise to nobody, PFL is being forced to get rid of their WLW division next season.

3 Likes