UFC LW title picture

Thoughts?

Guram, Damir and Fiziev all have slick grappling. They may not use their offensive wrestling that often but itā€™s all very good and so is their tdd/defensive wrestling. Gaethje doesnā€™t use his offensive wrestling either but unlike him these guys can actually defend submissions as well.

Heā€™s beaten like 1-2 top 10 guys at 155, thereā€™s plenty of good fights for him at 155.

I think there is a almost 0% chance UFC gives Eddie another deal. They just donā€™t spend money on 38 year old vets who have already left their promotion. They just let Bellator and PFL cut the checks to those guys instead.

1 Like

Just one. And he has the belt. :thinking:

Iā€™m not saying he doesnā€™t deserve to be champā€¦Iā€™m saying thereā€™s plenty of options for him to fight at 155 and he shouldnā€™t be fighting the 145 pound champ then the 170 pound champ. Thereā€™s plenty of good options for him to fight in his own division, thereā€™s no reason for him to be offered a champ/champ fight right now.

Its more about UFC wanting to do business with the Australian market and the timing of their big show there.

Its a very important market to them now, a lot more than it was ten years ago.

Volk wanted to challenge for the LW title and has done big things in his division.
UFC wanted to headline with a big title fight featuring an Australian.

Fight would have got made for champ vs champ in Australia whether Islam or Charles won that fight, IMO.

1 Like

7 Likes

Pumped for this fight tomorrow. Thisā€™ll be the first time in a good decade Iā€™ll be watching Bellator live

1 Like

LW champ Christian Lee will also be challenging for the ONE WW title tomorrow.

Usman is a 6-1 favorite, I see one book has him as a 10-1 favorite. I expect him to win and donā€™t care about the fight too much.

What I really care about is the announcement of the Grand Prix brackets but that might not even happen until Jan. I have a feeling its gonna be a stacked lineup though and Usman will be right in there defending the title.

The Grand Prixs have really been the only thing Iā€™ve liked about Bellator the past five years and thats all I usually watch of Bellator besides another five to ten fights a year.

1 Like

Wasnā€™t super impressed with him tonight. His previous fights I watched leading up to today he looked more like a world beater. But at the end of the day he took care of business. I had it 50-44

1 Like

Performance was extremely dominant but you can tell heā€™s still only 24 and hasnā€™t come into himself as a fighter yet.

If you look back at Islam he had a lot of not so exciting performances but he starting killing everyone in his last 5 fights or so. Khabib was always exciting but became even more of a force towards the end of his run as well.

Umar is better than Usman at this point but thatā€™s to be expected because heā€™s older as well.

1 Like

Huge win tonight for ONE LW champ Christian Lee as he became the WW champ as well tonight.

Like Usman, Lee is only 24. Pretty young for a double champ.

He actually fought for the FW title when he was 20 but came up short vs Nguyen.

1 Like

Its pretty strange that LW just saw THREE new big promotion champs in the past seven days and all three fighters are 24 years old and two of them became two weight class champs.

Last Saturday KSW FW champ Parnasse became the Int. LW champ.
Last night ONE LW champ Christian Lee became the WW champ.
Last night Usman became the Bellator LW champ.

All happen to be 24.

3 Likes

And of course Usmanā€™s gold was the 4th belt that changed hands in the LW division over the past month.

1 Like

Who at 155? Islam beat Charles, who himself cleaned up most of the division. Islam sort of took all Charlesā€™ wins with his victory over Oliveira

Fair point. 24 is still very young. He can still improve

I said I wasnā€™t overly impressed butā€¦ he still won 50-45/44 lol

1 Like