UFC plans 54 events in 2014, fans whine

54 events is cool with me. I'm married with kids so most weekends I'm trapped at home at the time the fights are on.

I watch more than 54 events a year as it is now between all of the different organizations (and boxing, kickboxing) every weekend I'm watching tons of fights.

The Winter Soldier - 

I would like the UFC to put on stacked cards on PPV every 1 to 1 1/2 months like they used to. I dont care what they do with the every week cards. I dont get excited for them. I used to look forward to watching the UFC on PPV but that is starting to wane also. Maybe because Ive been watching the UFC for 20 years and now that it's mostly mainstream and watered down I'm kind of over it. I liked it better when it was less well known and not on every time I turned around. Thats just my personal opinion. I'm the same way with music to be honest. I like bands that arent popular and as soon as they hit stardom, I dont follow them anymore. I dont really care as much anymore. I understand the whole fighter pay thing and whatever but my opinion is my opinion.Trying to compare it to other sports is just dumb. I dont watch high school baseball and farm league games either, or every pro game. It would be most comparable to having a Mike Tyson fight on every week, without Mike Tyson on the card. No thanks. Maybe years ago those cards werent "stacked" either, but they were just more fun because they would have a few big names on the main card, and fights werent available on multiple channels any time of day.  They were unique. I'll still watch the PPV's and if there is an interesting fight or two on a free card, but normally I could not care less. I would never miss a PPV years ago, but now I'll do whatever.

I don't understand not liking a band cause become popular. As long as the music is good what does it matter?

FCFBlazer - I used to never miss an event 2002 - 2011 and then likely would buy the DVD through ufc 100, when it came out. Now, I pick and choose which PPV to buy and even when I miss a fs1 event it's no big deal because the next event is already being hyped as the can't miss of the year.

Oversaturated. Phone Post 3.0

Change this to 2004 - 2011 and you pretty much describe me.

Also, "UFC plans 54 events in 2014, fans offer legitimate criticism, UG Blog shills".

Yeah, ftfy.

I hate to be an asshole but I'm kinda glad I didn't renew my blue last month.

I don't think low ranked fighters is a problem as there just being too many events to keep up with. Part of what keeps you interested is continuity, seeing a prospect become a contender and compete for a title. If I'm missing half the events because I can't spend every weekend in front of a TV, I'm less invested in new fighters and less likely to make the effort to follow their careers. Phone Post 3.0

The Winter Soldier - 

I'll put it this way. When I was growing up 13-18. Tyson was in his prime. I couldnt afford the Pay Per Views, so I would watch the fights on a scrambled station, hoping to catch a piece or two of the fight when the TV would unscramble, and get pieces of Audio. I used to feel like that with the UFC when they had card on every month or two. I dont feel that way anymore.

I don't really know how else to say this but it's incredibly selfish to want a sport to stay small and niche just so each event seems more private and special to you.

There will be more than 40 cards next year... over 50 is an eventuality. 

The main cards wont be more watered down... the prelims will be.  Eventually You wont be seeing top 15 guys/gals in the prelims like you do now... you wont even recognize the names on the prelims.

The current names who fight on the prelims will be moved to the main cards.

a fight night is 6 fights which includes a 5 round main event.  that's the product... the prelims are just ancillary.  3 hours of fighting is enough... most people cant watch 5 hours of fighting in one sitting without becoming satiated.

As the events increase the prelims will become more watered down and less prominent.  In other words unless you watch bellator, cage warriors, jungle fights, legacy, etc... you wont have any interest in watching the prelims.

i dont think its a bad idea at all. its a great way to build some of your lesser known talents in the ufc and be able to give everyone on contract a fair number of fights. you build your record and image on the free live tv shows and earn your spot on the ppv. why not? it leaves for nothing but stacked ppv cards if you do it right. i dont see a problem with it at all. i mean look at the nfl or nba. they play the same teams every year multiple times a season and multiple times a week, or once a week and noone complains. the ufc is the NFL or NBA of MMA and the title fight is the superbowl and ppv are the playoffs.

if it is done right, i think its an awesome thing. which i think the people who work for zuffa are smarter than me and most of you and plenty smart enough to figure it out.

The UFC can put on 500 events a year if they want. If they can do that and make money, that's fine.

But I certainly am not going to watch every one. I will watch the ones that interest me Phone Post 3.0

and lol at whining about 54 events a year...  wait until there's over 75 UFC events a year.

Glovegate - 
FCFBlazer - I used to never miss an event 2002 - 2011 and then likely would buy the DVD through ufc 100, when it came out. Now, I pick and choose which PPV to buy and even when I miss a fs1 event it's no big deal because the next event is already being hyped as the can't miss of the year.

Also, "UFC plans 54 events in 2014, fans offer legitimate criticism, UG Blog shills".

Yeah, ftfy.

Looking at this objectively, by the numbers, there are more or less 400 fighters under contract with the UFC, and each fighter needs more or less three fights a year in order to eat, which makes more less 1,200 fights, and there are more or less 24 fighters per card, which makes more or less 50 fights per year.

Is normal (not shilling :-)

I don't understand why mma fans would bitch about more mma to watch. Phone Post 3.0

I would watch ufc every second that I'm not at work if it was possible. I don't see how people are upset about this

Eventually the UFC will have a fight night every Wed night on FS1 and a 12 shows a year split between PPV and Fox on Saturday nights. That will be 64 shows.

My guess that is 2 years away as FS1 needs the content and are willing to pay UFC to do that many.

UFC can easily have a matchup of top 10 guys headline a card each week but the other 3 fights on the card will be lackluster. The point though would be to get FS1 ratings and expand internationally in new markets.

Kirik - 
Glovegate - 

Yeah, ftfy.

Looking at this objectively, by the numbers, there are more or less 400 fighters under contract with the UFC, and each fighter needs more or less three fights a year in order to eat, which makes more less 1,200 fights, and there are more or less 24 fighters per card, which makes more or less 50 fights per year.

Ees normalll.

Ok fair enough. And I read that it was apparently the wrong number anyway.

But let's be honest here. There's little objectivity coming from the management of this site when it comes to Zuffa.

UG blog has turned on the UG

UG blog silently supports OG

I hope they do 100 cards a year. What the fuck do you consider weak? What are they gonna have obese karate blue belts fighting bar brawlers. there are easily enough talented professional fighters to populate these events under the banner of the UFC (the biggest MMA org). The events don't all have to be PPV or title fights but as a fan of MMA I know for damn sure I would tune in and watch as many as possible

Glovegate - 
Kirik - 
Glovegate - 

Yeah, ftfy.

Ees normalll.

Ok fair enough. And I read that it was apparently the wrong number anyway.

But let's be honest here. There's little objectivity coming from the management of this site when it comes to Zuffa.

I have heard that before.

But extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. And mundane claims require mundane proof. If you think there is little objectivity, let me know why. Saying fans are weirdos for whining over 54 fights is not proof of a pro ZUFFA bias. Even if I was wrong, which I am not, it is not proof of a pro ZUFFA bias.

If you have actual cases where you think there was a ZUFFA bias, let me know. I am not in any way saying you are wrong. But I am the management of this site, and I am very happy to differ with the UFC as sense dictates. For example, when Dana White said the judging of GSP vs. Hendricks was way out there and more or less the work of the anti Christ, many many dozens of times this week I pointed out that it wasn't. Haulport saw this as a sign of shilling. I asked him how, but am still waiting for a response.

I am genuinely interested in your understanding of the Blog, and am not think skinned. Ideally though, you would offer more than something like #FACT.

Media Monster - 

Es nohrmal... fight es fight... i like fight... i watch fight

This. You're either a fight fan or you're not. You want some drama to get your vajayjay tingling?

Recent fight cards that were considered weak:
UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson
UFC: Fight for the Troops 3
UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Munoz

Look at how that turned out

Whiners gonna whine.

Fighters need to eat. I will watch every week I can and not complain one bit. If they start diluting the ppv's and charge the same amount I can understand some bitching but that probably won't be the case.

Complaining that the availability of mma these days makes it less special is like complaining about eating bacon for every meal just because it's in your freezer . Phone Post 3.0

Would love it!!!! Love the UFC and would watch every card! Phone Post