UG Official - Fury VS Usyk Live Fight Companion

Usyk won for sure but Tyson does have a point.
Just like Valentina did

Does anyone know the criteria for a standing 8 count? Usyk was in the middle of action and the ref intervened. Shouldnā€™t the fight have been stopped? I thought standing 8 counts only happen where there is a slight pause in the conflict?

1 Like

It looked to me like fury was dropping to a knee when the referee stepped in, I wouldnā€™t have been outraged if heā€™d stopped it before that point though

2 Likes

Does anyone know the criteria for a standing 8 count?

They started using standing 8s after Mancini killed Kim. Itā€™s basically a check to see if the fighter is out on his feet to prevent him from being beaten to death. A lot of research has demo that they may be more harmful than helpful. A lot of commissions donā€™t allow them.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s when championship fights were reduced from 15 rounds to 12.

2 Likes

It wasnā€™t a standing count, it was because the ropes held him up. The ropes actually held him up a few times beforehand in that sequence before the ref called it.

5 Likes

Correct. It was also the introduction of the standing 8

My problem with the count was he made it to the standing 8 count then spent another X seconds after keeping them separated and then the round was over.

With a different ref it may we likely would have seen a finish

5 Likes

Thatā€™s true. There are two ways of seeing it. On one hand a guy is hurt, if he takes a knee or gets knocked off his feet, he gets a count and an opportunity to demonstrate that he can continue. Maybe he canā€™t get down and heā€™s taken a lot of punches. The ref may need to look at his eyes and see if he can keep going. There are obviously no standing 8s or 10s in mma. But there are a lot of examples of guys coming off the deck or getting a standing 8 and coming back to win in boxing. It makes for high drama. Even so, the guys getting stopped after a standing 8 are much more frequent. Itā€™s also very bad for the health of a fighter in most cases to be close to being finished and sent back in. If a guy is given a standing 8 itā€™s clear heā€™s in trouble. I donā€™t think most fans like them.

1 Like
3 Likes

He is legit mentally ill. The goofy things he says are that of a very low IQ and emotionally disturbed individual.

2 Likes

Fury has a ridiculous ability to recover. Everytime he has been dropped, he has recovered very well and never been hurt very long.

He was able to get back up from those Wilder shots that would have KOā€™d anyone else.

Also, Usyk isnā€™t the hardest hitter out there but he has power. That straight left is fast and hits hard. He had AJ wobbled and terrified of that straight left landing.

Tony Bellew didnā€™t want that left handed smoke

7 Likes

^^^ There was at least once he threw that punch or similar variant with real HEAT and missed.

It looked like the one time (probably more) that he was trying to knock his head off take a shot at clean KO. Or could have been just to reset pace a bit, but man he threw it hard.

I wouldā€™ve loved to see Usyk get to throw the right hook he was loading up on when the ref jumped in last night.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting, nice comments from the Cobra.

Good to see new posters adding great content.

Welcome aboard.

2 Likes

He was hit by a combo, and wasnt prepared for the punch right on the chin tip, Walder hit him way different

For those saying it was bullshit to give Fury the standing count, I disagree. Maybe other fighters would have been stopped, but this is a championship fight for all the marbles and I think the case is there that Fury, a proven champion who has gotten up off the deck before to draw (win) when no one believed it was possible, deserved the opportunity based on the standing 8 rule going in. I wouldnā€™t have had any heartache if the fight was stopped at that time, but I also donā€™t think it was awful to give a standing count there.

Thereā€™s a history of tough champions getting the benefit.

Vs Ezzard Charles, Rockyā€™s nose was split vertically down the center and cut over his eye in the 6t. After the 7th, the ref supposedly told Rocky between rounds that if anyone else were in the corner, heā€™d call it, but he was going to give Rocky one more round. Marciano went out and KOā€™d Charles with only a few seconds left in the round.

11 Likes

I also think itā€™s awesome that Usyk won because even though a lot of us have been arguing for a long time that the notion that old time heavyweights couldnā€™t compete with the modern giants is nonsense, a lot of people were still completely enamored with the size of Fury and some of the other guys. Size is a factor, but at heavyweight, the rules are a little different. Itā€™s still a distinct advantage, but the notion that Ali, Louis or Marciano couldnā€™t compete with modern fighters is ridiculous.

6 Likes

That was an amazing comeback rally by Marciano.

who said they couldnā€™t?