Volkanovski vs. Ilia Topuria Featherweight Title Fight Targeted for 298

Very true. I’m just saying he was grasping at straws trying to refute the stat. I wish we got to see Johnson get his title back and get another five or ten defenses. We will never know what type of heights he could have reached in terms of defenses.

As a fan, I feel cheated by the exclusive contracts of the promotions preventing all those good fights for FLW.

3 Likes

Speed kills. Timing kills speed.

1 Like

The MMAFighting guys, I think Mike Heck had a great point for Merab in that he has the biggest stakes because if he loses, he may never fight for the title and he could be in Tony F category for going on one of the longest streaks without a title.

Also Merab is a badass for even taking the fight because he should have already gotten the title shot.

Volk also has the reach advantage

Topuria 69’ vs Volk "71

Ilia mixes up body/head shots beautifully. Great compsure when throwing

1 Like

He is also stockier and I feel physically stronger.

If Islam had not rattled Volk, I think he would be a lot of people’s pick, but him coming off of a TKO raises some questions.

If it’s in round 1, I feel Volk wins.
If Topuria settles in his pace, he could take it in rounds 2 or 3.
If it goes into 4 and 5, Volk can win because I feel he has better cardio.

1 Like

Ok Emmet is pretty athletic maybe I see him as not as fast because he throws all this looping stuff. He gave Ilia plenty of trouble and I simply think Volk will hit Ilia even more because he’s much more of a sniper and covers distance even faster with straighter punches

Yep thats what makes Volk so unique. Long reach but short, stocky and well composed

In Topuria’s highlights he knocked a few guys dead. Usually after landing flush after throwing combos body and head making guys drop their hands

this fight is more interesting to me than anything on 300

3 Likes

His combos are fantastic! With excellent technique. And he is great at body shots too. But his combos may work against him in a fight with Volk as he really leans into them.

Who knows what will happen. I agree, very interesting fight.

1 Like

If Volk wins, it absolutely cements his status as an all-time-great and a legend of FW. If Topuria wins it will be a legendary win when you consider the build up, everything he has said and the calibre of the guy he is facing.

Can’t wait to see these two facing each other in the cage. This is going to be fucking GREAT.

1 Like

Volks short torso works to Volks advantage Id say. Topuria’s ko highlights are against taller longer guys

1 Like

Don’t know who wins but I know that Volk is ten times more entertaining in and out of the ring.

I’m betting on volk but don’t think he is the faster or harder hitter. Quite the opposite. I just think all other factors make him someone you don’t bet against. Heart, technique, wrestling , iq. We’ve seen volk be the nail and not give up spots where a lot of people would fold

4 Likes

He is also going up against a very technically proficient fighter in his prime who has been analysing his game for years in preparation for facing him.

He is the one who turned down the title shots unless i am thinking of some other pery

1 Like

@Nick_Diaz_Army

1 Like

Smirk Smile GIF by euphoria

Very interested in if Volk can become the first 35+ year old to win a title fight in UFC FLW-LW history.

The fact he has to do it coming off a KO loss up a weight makes it that much more interesting.

Aldo lost his FW title when he was 30 years 9 months old and he never got it back.
Max lost his FW title when less than two weeks after he turned 28 and he never got it back.

Statistically Volk is kinda fucked her but so were Glover and Randy when they won their last titles at heavier weights but they made it happen so lets see how it goes.

1 Like