Was Modern MMA Born In Irvine, CA?

I've seen VCR footage (this was pre internet - or at least before I had access to the internet) of guys repping TMAs more or less (they weren't wearing logo wear or anything but clearly these were TMAers as opposed to boxers) throwing down in a parking garage for money with other people watching.

And that footage was from the mid or late 80s (I saw it in probably 95, right about the time people were starting to talk about the UFC - so this guy brings in this tape...)

And no I'm not talking about the Van Dammme movie or that Donny Frye footage -lol.

Believe it or not this footage was shot in Oklahoma City (the guy who showed it to me was a bouncer by trade and a monster of a judoka and he had a fight on the tape where he basically just tossed a dude on his head FTW).

There were at least 3 fights on the tape that I saw. One of them I remember featured a guy who was jumping really high and doing spin around kicks and shit. Really acrobatic stuff (I think he told me he was a hapkido guy iirc) who won his fight when the other guy basically had enough and gave up.

Not exactly what you'd call legal or anything but this kind of thing has happened. I'm sure lots of people on this baord have seen really old school underground fight footage as well.

A lot of people grew up in the 70s watching Bruce Lee and shit. Just sayin'.

Rollo the Cat - "I was banned from all the UFC owned and controlled forums for telling the true story about MMA"

Which ones are they? Do they even have forums of their own?

Kazja's story is pretty much common knowledge, at least as far as the cage goes.

I consider myself pretty well versed in MMA, especially compared to the general public and casual fan and I had never heard of this event before. Hell, most current UFC fans probably don't even know what SEG is.. So I don't see how this is common knowledge.

So who won, 'the main man' or 'the kempo kid'?

NameCaller - I've seen VCR footage (this was pre internet - or at least before I had access to the internet) of guys repping TMAs more or less (they weren't wearing logo wear or anything but clearly these were TMAers as opposed to boxers) throwing down in a parking garage for money with other people watching.

And that footage was from the mid or late 80s (I saw it in probably 95, right about the time people were starting to talk about the UFC - so this guy brings in this tape...)

And no I'm not talking about the Van Dammme movie or that Donny Frye footage -lol.

Believe it or not this footage was shot in Oklahoma City (the guy who showed it to me was a bouncer by trade and a monster of a judoka and he had a fight on the tape where he basically just tossed a dude on his head FTW).

There were at least 3 fights on the tape that I saw. One of them I remember featured a guy who was jumping really high and doing spin around kicks and shit. Really acrobatic stuff (I think he told me he was a hapkido guy iirc) who won his fight when the other guy basically had enough and gave up.

Not exactly what you'd call legal or anything but this kind of thing has happened. I'm sure lots of people on this baord have seen really old school underground fight footage as well.

A lot of people grew up in the 70s watching Bruce Lee and shit. Just sayin'.

Again, I am not arguing that this event was the first time there were mixed fights. What I am saying is that it was the first time they were held in an 8 sided cage and organized in a fashion very similar to the first UFC with two of the founding originators of the UFC in attendance, thus being the inspiration for the UFC.

CharlesLewis - So who won, 'the main man' or 'the kempo kid'?

Mr. Irvine FTW! lol

But so what, James? He's whining about something that happened 15 years ago? If he hasn't accomplished anything by now through the legal system he obviously has no claim.

Is it that he wants to be acknowledged for something or does he feel he is entitled to compensation by the UFC for something Bob Meyrowitz, Rorion Gracie and Art Davey might have done?

If the UFC "controlled" Sherdog, Josh Gross, Jeff and the rest of them might still have access to cover live UFC events and that 57 page thread would no longer exist.

His comment about Sherdog is how you know this guy is out of the loop because DW hates them and the feeling is probably mutual.

Cindy

seems very legit , ticketscalper was May co. at the time , 310 area codes , Bren event center . Hmmm.

Truth is Early Bird gets the worm , he who files for intellectual Property and puts the game plan in action , gets the worm.

CindyO - But so what, James? He's whining about something that happened 15 years ago? If he hasn't accomplished anything by now through the legal system he obviously has no claim.

Is it that he wants to be acknowledged for something or does he feel he is entitled to compensation by the UFC for something Bob Meyrowitz, Rorion Gracie and Art Davey might have done?

If the UFC "controlled" Sherdog, Josh Gross, Jeff and the rest of them might still have access to cover live UFC events and that 57 page thread would no longer exist.

His comment about Sherdog is how you know this guy is out of the loop because DW hates them and the feeling is probably mutual.

Cindy

Cindy,

I am not defending the guy or saying he has any legal merit. As far as I know the UFC trademarked the Octagon and beat him to the punch. I don't believe the UFC was built on a shape and it took millions of dollars of investment from Zuffa to save the UFC when no one else was willing to take the gamble.

I am not saying the UFC owes this guy anything. What I am saying is that it looks like the Rorion and Art attended this guy's event and were inspired to create the UFC. I find this fascinating historically.

I have never asserted that he has any legal claim. I can't speak for what this guy feels entitled to and I am not arguing on his behalf. If anything I am saying that Art and Rorion left this part of the story out when they talk about the creation of the first UFC.

I agree that Sherdog is not run by Dana White and I have never argued this matter or the other assertions made by Kazja.

greg put on fight in san pedro at the dancing waters night club after the the ufc was seen on cable. he never said anything about rorion stealing his idea when i talked to him in the 90's.

Apollenia Kotera is patty gutero

Sherdog is owned by Crave Entertainment now. The one that makes the UFC video Game.

Cindy O do you still work for Zuffa.

The CSAC put a illegal judgement on me in 2000 so the Zuffa owned UFC could get full control of the sport. The true story is about to hit main stream soon. The buzz is happening.

kazja13 - Sherdog is owned by Crave Entertainment now. The one that makes the UFC video Game.

The CSAC put a illegal judgement on me in 2000 so the Zuffa owned UFC could get full control of the sport. The true story is about to hit main stream soon. The buzz is happening.

Her real name is Patty Kotero. And who claims I talked to them in the 90's in San Pedro.

kazja13 - Sherdog is owned by Crave Entertainment now. The one that makes the UFC video Game.

Cindy doesn't work for Zuffa but she is friends with Dana White and a lot of people in the industry. To my knowledge Dana hates Sherdog. At one point he told them.. "you are my mortal enemies for life" or something to that effect.

" In 1997, another dedicated martial artist, California's Paul Smith, joined the IFC team to become IFC Commissioner. With Paul's direction the IFC rules began to evolve and through much effort by Paul the rules are now recognized as the "Unified MMA Rules" which have been adapted by the many state commissions including California, Nevada and New Jersey."

What gives?

So Kazja-

Didn't you have fight videos advertised in Blackbelt (maybe Panther?) in a caged box?

In any case...

The Kage Kombat poster has sure got a lot of cheese in it, was it a shoot event? Names like Kenpo Kid and the Urban Warrior sure hurt the event's legitimacy...

Personally, I was a HUGE fan of your "Kazja's Forbidden Fighting Secrets!" on Fight Zone. :)

So who won at that Kage Kombat?

Max

Slapsymaxi - So Kazja-

Didn't you have fight videos advertised in Blackbelt (maybe Panther?) in a caged box?

In any case...

The Kage Kombat poster has sure got a lot of cheese in it, was it a shoot event? Names like Kenpo Kid and the Urban Warrior sure hurt the event's legitimacy...

Personally, I was a HUGE fan of your "Kazja's Forbidden Fighting Secrets!" on Fight Zone. :)

So who won at that Kage Kombat?

Max

I think the first show was called "Cage of Rage" not Kage Kombat. His Kage Kombat thing are the fights in San Pedro that is his current promotion.

Hong Kong Phooey -
CindyO - Did you trademark your design?

Cindy

Cindy , You Patent Designs and Trademark Names or Copyright .

http://www.bitlaw.com/source/tmep/1202_02.html

awesome thread.

ttt for mma history.

Kirik -  There were a bunch of early attempts at mixed rules fighting. I did a column for Tapout mag on it. Fred Hamilton had one in NY. Tommy Lee had the World Series of Martial Arts in Hawai'i. Aaron Banks' Oriental World of Self-Defense had a lot of mixed matches.

Where can I find a copy of that magazine or article? Im a huge MMA history buff so I would really like to know..