Wendler 5/3/1

Man, that PC was REAL UGLY!

TAKU T.N.T.

5/3/1 = some of the best info I've ever read on S&C, bar-none

5/3/1 for Football was also a great book. I'm sure the powerlifting book will be good, though I have no real need for it. I will geek out like a fanboy for NOV when it comes out.

Also, read Jim's Q&A and t-nation articles. They're always filled w/some of the most awesome nuggets of information and one-liners.

One of my favorite all-time Wendler quotes (and I'm slightly paraphrasing):

"Don't train for fat loss. Train to be a motherfucker."

From the above linked article:

"Grow a set of balls," says Wendler. "I don't really have anything more to say to that kind of pissing and moaning."

"Grow a set of balls," says Wendler. "I don't really have anything more to say to that kind of pissing and moaning."

FTW!

My favorite Wendler quote,

"But here's a closing rant: one thing that no one talks about is how walking into a weight room tired, over-worked, stressed, and fucked up but then succeeding is a true lesson in mind strength. I don't always recommend it, but at certain times of your life you've got to quit being such a slave to your pussiness and step up and see how well you can do under shitty conditions.

People have always been working labor jobs for long hours. There are single mom's working two jobs and still finding time for their kids. There are soldiers that fought for our country that were hungry, tired, thirsty, and with pieces of steel stuck in their bodies, but somehow they were able to pull it together in combat. Why can't you get your shit together for an hour and do a couple sets of squats?"

Couple of questions:

1. I'm confused about the last set in the program. Are you supposed to "rep to failure" or our you supposed to hit the prescribed amounts?

2. Has anyone without access to a power rack done this program by power cleaning the bar (for squats and presses)?

Cuex - Couple of questions:

1. I'm confused about the last set in the program. Are you supposed to "rep to failure" or our you supposed to hit the prescribed amounts?

2. Has anyone without access to a power rack done this program by power cleaning the bar (for squats and presses)?

Re: #1 - Don't rep to failure. Leave at least one in the pocket. See also many references where Wendler talks about just hitting the minimum reps when you need to back off a bit in training. Use also the minimum reps as a guide as to when to reset your training max (i.e. failing to hit the minimum).

From his book in regards to the last set

"Whichever option you choose, you'll notice that the last set of the day reads, 'or more reps.' This is where the fun begins. The last set of the day is the all-out set. You'll be going for as many reps as possible. I hesitate to tell anyone to do anything to failure, because that's not what I'm after. I wouldn't prescribe this. This last set should be a ball buster, though, and it's the one you really need to focus on. This is when you dig in and try to move the world."

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the book is worth the money. You can purchase the actual book for 25 bucks or the e-book for 20 off of elitefts.com. I have the hard copy and for the price you can't beat it

^^what is the name of the book so i can find where it can be ordered from?

Thanks in advance.

Martyspike....

5/3/1 is the name of the book.

get it at Elite FTS.com

slayer806 - Martyspike....

5/3/1 is the name of the book.

get it at Elite FTS.com

Yep...you can also get a paperback version on Amazon.

Just got the book.

Starting it today.

I can't squat or press (due to herniated disc in lumbar area + no power rack) so I'm going to do a two day split and just concentrate on Bench Press and Deadlift.

My Bench PR right now is 285X6.

I haven't lifted heavy with the deadlift in ages because of my back but for the sake of the formula my PR is 225X10.

Great quote from the book:

"You want science and studies? Fuck you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."

"You want science and studies? Fuck you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."

THATS STREET

Thanks guys im going to get on it.

Wiggy - I will geek out like a fanboy for NOV when it comes out.

So he's coming out with a "North of Vag" book? Haha, veddy niiice.

Any idea when that'll be out? I couldn't find any info.

I think that this one big set is what really makes this work...

I did two full cycles, and honestly I thought Bill Starr's 5x5 was more effective.

There just isn't enough WORK in the 5-3-1, IMO.

But that's what he says - most people overwork... and therefore plateau.

Also the goal is to start slow and progress slowly and steadily. So the first couple of cycles probably will feel pretty easy especially if you're used to working to failure. Trust me when you get into it a little further and especially using the bbb (boring but big) template you will be doing plenty of work.

Wow, 142 reviews on Amazon, and every single one is five stars. Never seen that before.

Not a huge fan of 5x5. I just started this yesterday, so I'll take a couple cycles to ramp up. I think the 5 sets of 10 reps in assistance work is more than enough volume for me. I'm starting with the bbb template just to rip through cycles at first. I run every afternoon anyway. If I like it, I'll start the 2x run/2x lift template and use that for track and agility work.