Wendler 5/3/1

Just came back from day 2. Those 5x10's are really no joke.

The Rugged Ideal - Just came back from day 2. Those 5x10's are really no joke.

Yeah, especially on squat and deadlift day. That's why I didn't get the comment about not getting enough work from shadallion's post.

5x10's are gonna be harder for a more advanced trainee as you become more efficient you'll be using a lot closer to your maximal force output when you do sets.

531 ISN'T a lot of work. That is the beauty of it! you don't beat up your CNS through doing a lot of unnecessary heavy work OR unnecessary volume. I can see how it would be frustrating to use weights nearer the 70-80% range. Fortunately there is a 531 set up for powerlifters in "531 reoloaded". Also considering how low he starts you rather low on the strength side (like 10% lower than your 3 rep max? somethin like that) you need probably 4-5 cycles before your strength gains catch up to your maxes and then you'd need to adjust things as it'll get quite a bit harder.

^^ Yes. I'm enjoying the easy cycle right now. I've gotten 10 & 9 reps on my 5+ sets for the squat and bench. Like I said though, those 5x10's are brutal. I'm going to be one hurting hurting hombre when the big lift is just as hard as the accessory work. I'm dreading it a little. :)

I love the Boring But Big template. Plenty of work for me.

Okay, I'm starting back up after a two-week lay-off of Vegas and then a bad cold.

I've toyed with the BBB format but haven't been consistent. I'll start that up this cycle and see how it goes.

Thanks for the inspiration, guys!

i am really busy with work and school so this seems like a good fit. a couple questions: should i use the exercises he lists or can i basically substitute anything? i can't squat because i have a couple herniated disks but i can probably dumbbell squat is that good or can you think of something else? is 5X10 five sets and ten reps? any other thoughts or advice? does he use any other exercises or is this his whole program?

Tommy Gunnz - i am really busy with work and school so this seems like a good fit. a couple questions: should i use the exercises he lists or can i basically substitute anything? i can't squat because i have a couple herniated disks but i can probably dumbbell squat is that good or can you think of something else? is 5X10 five sets and ten reps? any other thoughts or advice? does he use any other exercises or is this his whole program?

He strongly recommends the four main core lifts as the foundation of the program:

Squat
Flat bench (barbell)
Deadlift
Over-head press (barbell)

Then the ancillary exercises can be virtually any machine or dumbell combination.

i haven't worked out in a good 3 months or so, woke up read this thread and went to the gym and did the workout. It definitely wasn't easy, I'm not used to doing 5 sets (normally do 4 but for some reason the 5th felt like ALOT more work, maybe because I am just so out of shape and not used to it) took more time in the gym then i normally do but i guess thats cause of the added sets but thats okay since its only twice a week. i am gonna keep this going if felt nice to be back and not be such a lazy fat slob. so everything is 5 sets except the bench right which is only 3? (5-3-1) and since i am by myself and have no spotter i really cant do it down to just one rep at the end so mine ended up 8-6-4 (although i wasnt sure where to start and stop since it had been so long)

uhhh herniated disks?
You probably can't squat or deadlift, or military press without some discomfort I'd try to get those addressed first and meanwhile just fuck around with some bodyweight stuff.

This might be better for your lower body till you can get your disks repaired

BTW, I adjusted my template from the BBB to that 2x/week one. Maybe once I get used to it, I'll go BBB.

I just got back from deadlift day. I did 5x10's for goodmornings as one of the assistance exercises. Ouch. My hamstrings will be spasmed to the size of tennis balls when I wake up tomorrow.

"5/3/1..your doing it wrong"

Thanks so much big guy! Perhaps a fucking explanation telling me why would have been a better post??? Phone Post

Tommy, with 5-3-1 you concentrate on 4 major lifts, (military press, deadlift, bench press, and squat). Each major lift gets its own day, followed by some accessory work. It works in 4 week cycles. Week 1, the rep scheme for each major lift looks like this: 1 set of 5 reps, followed by another set of 5, followed by one final set of 5 reps plus however many reps you can muster. Week 2 is 3 reps, 3 reps , and 3 reps plus however many reps you can get; week 3 is 5, 3, and 1 plus however many you can get; week 4 is an easy deloading week of 5, 5, and 5. The weights are based on percentages of 90% of your max in each lift.

thanks!

5/3/1: Jim Wendler's theory of strength

5/3/1 is about simplicity. You do three (maybe four) workouts a week with the focus on the 'big four': squat, bench, deadlift and military press. Focus on these movements and size and strength will necessarily follow.
How does it all work?

The program is split up into cycles, each cycle consists of four waves. Each wave is made up of four workouts, one for each lift. In other words, if you train four times a week, you hit each exercise once per week. Each wave focuses on a 5, 3, or 1 rep max, giving the program its name. Each workout is based on three sets of the major movement followed by a variety of accessory work detailed below. Sets and reps remain the same for the main movements in each wave. During the fourth, and final, week of the cycle, you return to a 5 rep scheme using submaximal weight. This built-in deload week allows for recovery and recuperation, setting you up to come back stronger with each passing cycle.

Before starting the program, you will need to know your one rep max for each of the big four. From there, calculate 90% and use that 90% figure as if it were your real max, i.e. to calculate the percentages below. The idea is to undershoot so as to get better quality work and avoid failure.

Here's the basic structure:

Wave 1: 65%x5, 75%x5, 85%x5 or more
Wave 2: 70%x3, 80%x3, 90%x3 or more
Wave 3: 75%x5, 85%x3, 95%x1 or more
Wave 4: 40%x5, 50%x5, 60%x5

If you are still having trouble understanding the program see the sample routine below.

On the final set, Wendler also recommends going all out and attempting as many reps as possible (i.e. beyond 5/3/1). As he puts it "[the final set should be the one that] puts hair on your balls". He does emphasize, however, that you should not attempt failure, as that would be detrimental to your efforts. You should never fail on a rep.

...more at the link

Easytarget - 

But i dont like training like this all the time, i find i dont like being unable to compare one weeks lifts to anothers. Maybe i should be comparing wave 3 one cycle to wave 3 in another, but for some reason i want to know how i did compared to last workout.

Hey -

I keep an excel log of every 5/3/1 workout. In that I can plug in each week's rep maxes, and excel then uses Wendler's 1RM formula to convert every thing to projected maxes.

Its not perfect but each week I can see progress in the lifts. Makes comparing 12x135 vs 8x150 a bit easier for example. Even built in a graph function with trend lines so that I can see progress over the long haul. This helps since its such a long slow progressive program...

ttt Phone Post

there's like 30 of them available online just google 531 wendler excel template or something similar and you'll get one.

potomac crossfit has the best one imo

guys..i love this training regime.

I honestly have seen consistant increases in strength.

infact after the xmas break i have added 10kg onto my deadlift at 5 reps and 3 reps respectively. :)

Somewhy the potomac doesnt work for me... I'm not that excel savvy - gives me a #NAME error after I enter my maxes. The formula works if I take the rounding command MROUND out.

Also - what does WU stand for?