Werdum:"If I didn't pull guard so much, I'd win"

Compromise: Start the fight standing, but put Werdum on Overeem's back.

I mean come on, this is MMA - you have to be skilled everywhere and knowingly enter into stupid, disadvantagous positions to prove your a l33t fyter.

(this thread seems ripe for supercalo. where's that dude?)

It was not a good performance for both fighters.They showed us they still have to train a lot if they want to be the number 1 someday.Velasquez would beat both easily.

DoomFarmer - Noone is going to be willing to squat down and insert themselves into someones guard.

That is just sheer idiocy and it is ridiculous to even try and pretend like it isn't.

http://youtu.be/VXNroQ1-dWs

Get in my Guard!

If it was a dick measuring contest and they wanted to prove who was better in every area then Werdum would have a point. However, as it was pointed out- This is MMA.

Reality is that every fight starts on the feet. It is his job to get it to the ground where he is strongest. It was Overeems job to keep it on the feet where he is strongest. Werdum shouldn't blame anyone that Overeem was better at his job. Perhaps he should work more on how to take people to the ground instead of just what to do when they are there.

Then there is the issue that they spent 6 min 15 sec. on the ground over the course of the fight. Werdum did not have any success when it was there either.

I didn't notice it at first, but it does indeed come from an Overeem throw.

4:28 of the 2nd round, Overeem tosses him down, Werdum's leg twists funny on the way down, and Werdum immediately grabs his knee.

for liquidrob

found a rare angle of Werdum butt scootin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6m1yIGLkDU

reem was so scared of his ground game he rested in his guard for awhile and was never in trouble

killzy - found a rare angle of Werdum butt scootin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6m1yIGLkDU

"He didn't want to go to the ground with me at all but it is an MMA fight, you have to do the ground game as well. I think it is funny that [opponents] call me to go at them and I do, but when I call them to the mat, nobody does."

Oh Werdum ... you are a troll!

easedel - Didnt he flop more in round 1 then round 2 and 3?

Yeah, like 14 times, 23 total I believe

crazydave - "He didn't want to go to the ground with me at all but it is an MMA fight, you have to do the ground game as well. I think it is funny that [opponents] call me to go at them and I do, but when I call them to the mat, nobody does."

Oh Werdum ... you are a troll!

Werdum being a troll is old newz..

thanks 46and2

"Perhaps, if I hadn't pulled the guard so many times, I would have won."

slop and flop or brawl and fall?

He didn't want to go to the ground with me at all but it is an MMA fight, you have to do the ground game as well. I think it is funny that [opponents] call me to go at them and I do, but when I call them to the mat, nobody does."

Wrong - fights start standing.

You dont HAVE to fight on the ground unless you want to or your opponent forces you to.

Overeem didnt want to - and Werdum couldnt force him to.

liquidrob - slop and flop or brawl and fall?

This is a relevant question. We need to know how to label Werdum's strategy should it ever happen again.

My vote is for slop and flop. Werdum didn't wing enough punches for it to be considered brawling.

it wasnt a fight it was a Cirque du Sogay performance

Snu'dByMur - 
liquidrob - slop and flop or brawl and fall?

This is a relevant question. We need to know how to label Werdum's strategy should it ever happen again.

My vote is for slop and flop. Werdum didn't wing enough punches for it to be considered brawling.
How about Slop and fall?  doesn't rhyme, but makes sense.