Who has the best genetics that fought in the UFC?

theshooter - "The effect of his diverticulitus is a real MMA mystery. How much did that change him? Etc."

It definitely had a negative effect on his ability to train.

For sure.

I just mean: how much did it affect him? What level was he at for the Carwin, Cain, and Reem fights compared to UFC 100? How much had to do with PEDs? Etc.

He was definitely a (roided up) beast for the Hunt fight. That complicates things, IMO.

Ken and Frank Shamrock

Probably Romero.

Also Randleman and Vitor.

Kid Yamamoto is another good one. Guy probably could have made 125lb and his physicality was enough to rival 155ers of the day.

People seem to forget that GSP was a nerd and bullied as a youth and got to where he was out of hard work just as much as “genetics.”

wiggum - For me, it's BJ, Francis, Jones, and Yoel. All four were blessed with amazing chins. Jones and BJ succeeded with far less effort than guys like GSP put in. Jones in particular is remarkable because he is able to win 5-round wars and break people like Daniel Cormier without putting the work in in camp.

Francis is building one of the all-time great wins list at heavyweights and didn’t pick up the sport until he was 43 or something.

Yoel was built for combat. World champion wrestler. Freakishly good MMA fighter.

Great point about Jones. I was just about to say his athleticism seemed to significantly decline throughout his reign but yes, he beat guys like Cormier and also Gus without the hard camps. Remember he admitted that he barely trained for Gus.

Also forgot about Aldo. Yes, he was able to translate his athleticism and “genetics” to a GOAT level reign but he kind of under utilized his physical gifts to an extent in his prime. For example, his offensive tds and top rate BJJ background were barely used as many know but imagine if he incorporated diff kicks and still used knees mixed in tds…

jcblass - Ken and Frank Shamrock

They aren’t blood bros tho yeah?

Wasa-B - 
wiggum - For me, it's BJ, Francis, Jones, and Yoel. All four were blessed with amazing chins. Jones and BJ succeeded with far less effort than guys like GSP put in. Jones in particular is remarkable because he is able to win 5-round wars and break people like Daniel Cormier without putting the work in in camp.

Francis is building one of the all-time great wins list at heavyweights and didn’t pick up the sport until he was 43 or something.

Yoel was built for combat. World champion wrestler. Freakishly good MMA fighter.

Great point about Jones. I was just about to say his athleticism seemed to significantly decline throughout his reign but yes, he beat guys like Cormier and also Gus without the hard camps. Remember he admitted that he barely trained for Gus.

Also forgot about Aldo. Yes, he was able to translate his athleticism and “genetics” to a GOAT level reign but he kind of under utilized his physical gifts to an extent in his prime. For example, his offensive tds and top rate BJJ background were barely used as many know but imagine if he incorporated diff kicks and still used knees mixed in tds…

I meant I forgot to add Aldo in my list.

Connor too, as much as a cunt as he is, its a shame because its overshadowed his actual abilities and skills. He did change the game with his and his physicial gifts were a big part of that although he was able to see the game differently as well. Kind of like Anderson and Jones I guess where their fight IQ matched up with their physical gifts.

1 Like
Wasa-B - Probably Romero.

Kid Yamamoto is another good one. Guy probably could have made 125lb and his physicality was enough to rival 155ers of the day.

People seem to forget that GSP was a nerd and bullied as a youth and got to where he was out of hard work just as much as “genetics.”

It’s so tough to know how “blessed” GSP is because his work ethic, discipline, investment in his body and training, mind, and coaching staff were all so, so good.

RE: Yoel…was it actually true that a doctor that assessed him actually said he was built like no other human he’d seen or whatever Rogan said? Also, which opponent(s) commented on how much he felt like steel when they hit him?

He, like Randleman, are the proto-typical black athlete specimens we’ve seen in MMA. I suppose Ngannaou as well esp as a such a big guy who moves so fast. I would have to think those guys are especially unique compared to the athletes in the NBA and NFL though.

wiggum - 
Wasa-B - Probably Romero.

It’s so tough to know how “blessed” GSP is because his work ethic, discipline, investment in his body and training, mind, and coaching staff were all so, so good.

Perhaps we could get an idea seeing how good his karate was at a younger age? I just recall seeing a clip of him doing kata as a teen around and his physical demeanor didn’t really strike me much. I am willing to bet that Yoel was a physical beast at the same age. :wink:

TzTinkle -
Kirik - 

Brock Lesnar and Jon Jones are the first two that come to mind. To me phenom genetics should be reflected in athleticism that would allow the athlete to shine in multiple sports. Names like BJ Penn, Adesanya, GSP, I'm just not seeing it. All I see is hard work.

What other sports was Jones good at?

I consider being 6’4 with an 84.5" reach pretty good genetics.

1 Like
Song2 -
Gancho Al Hígado -

BJ Penn. 

Wtf are you talking about?

I've seen more muscle on a chicken mcnugget.

Probably strength, flexibility, speed just to name a few.

wiggum -
TzTinkle - 
Kirik - 

Brock Lesnar and Jon Jones are the first two that come to mind. To me phenom genetics should be reflected in athleticism that would allow the athlete to shine in multiple sports. Names like BJ Penn, Adesanya, GSP, I'm just not seeing it. All I see is hard work.

What other sports was Jones good at?

Wrestling.

Basketball is clearly his best attribute.

Hollanda (guy who just beat Jacare) looks insane!!!

I forgot about Romero.

BJ Penn never trained… 2 weight champ???

Hughes all power.

Cek Kongo. to add ot eh list 

2 Likes

I don't think his longevity would qualify him-

What? That wasn't even part of the question but you don't  think he fought enough top names?  That, imo, is far more important, including HOW he performed, than how long he'd been around.

Jon Jones. Don't see an argument for anyone else.

1 Like
MasterofMartialArts -
dinkledorf -

Yoel is far ahead of all these guys. GSP comes in second.

Guillard and Rampage are pretty impressive considering their supposed lack of discipline.

McGregor and Jones shouldn't even be on the list they're not as fast as some of the other guys.

Have you seen McGregor move? He has a speed advantage over everyone at 155 and probably a lot of guys at 145/170

He's accurate but has average speed imo. 

Crazy horse bennett should at least have a mention, he was insanely explosive. 

2 Likes

Phil Davis

Romero

Matt Mitrione (NFL Lineman-2 seasons)

Jon Jones

Brock Lesnar

Francis Ngannou

Overeem

All hit the genetic lottery in terms of height and reach, muscle tone or plane athleticism.