who would you fight from the early ufc's?

ttt

Any of them in their prime, but I'd probably enjoy fighting Tank, Varelans, Goodridge, Kerr, or Ferrozzo the most.

Ruas is the only old schooler that I'd think twice about. -ken

ttt

Things people don't think about... Back then a one dimensional wrestler could avoid Royce's takedowns, but being a wrestler, they would probably do what they know to do and take Royce down (see Royce vs. Severn) and we know BJJ teaches one to be offensive off their back.

Secondly, all tournament fighters got paid in the old days. I had a contract from an early UFC and if I am not mistaken it was like $2000 for fighting in a quarter final, $4000 for fighting in a semi final and the finalists got like $20000 for the loser and the winner got $50000-$65000 depending on which event.

ttt

the great takada was able to fight 15 minutes on the ground with royce and he was never in any danger

gracie. i've got decent jits, and i'm a big guy. i think i could hold him off for a bit.

if i was looking for a win, i'd take the dude that jumped around like a monkey

They always implied that only the winner got paid in the first couple of UFC's but it really doesn't make much sense for anyone to drop out if there was no reward for it, huh?

Anyway - I'd take Jimmerson. He had no clue on the mat, he was wearing a full-size glove, and I wouldn't have to worry about kicks, knees, etc. from him. Seems like the easiest fight.

What if Tuli was a badass from the top? I can't kick like Gordeau! Kevin Rosier was tough as hell...no thanks. Even Zane Frazier looked good here & there in many of his fights.

Jon Hess because he started an internet argument with me in 1998. Im still angry at that potty mouth.

ahh, john hess. wasnt he that big crazy looking kid who got his ass beat by vitor back in the day? i would love to have fought him as well.

Emmanual Yarborough.

John Hess would come home with your eyeball

kimo.

DannyOcean - 
pickula - "I have decent HS level wrestling (which puts me worlds above Royce) and I'm pretty sure I could defend the takedowns and KO him based on large, large size advantage."

Decent HS level wrestling puts you worlds above Royce? Kinda like Dan Severn was worlds above Royce you mean? And as for your 'large, large size advantage' - Royce always did better against big guys. Have you actually seen his early fights?

LMAO at how delusional some folks are.

You realize that If Dan Severn knew what "sprawl and brawl" was, he could have KO'd Royce in like 3-4 minutes, easy, and it wouldn't have been REMOTELY competitive?

The advantage i have is knowledge. I was a decent HS wrestler, I'm a blue belt in BJJ and unless Royce could get me to the ground and keep me there, I would likely fuck him up on the feet because I am much, much bigger and am early-mid 20's while he is 41.

I'm not saying I'm a lock. I'm saying I would definitely have a chance. If Royce got me down and could hold me down, EZ game. But I don't think he could. 

WOW! That means you are pretty much the first Ultimate Fighting Champion. Congratulations!

Orion - Things people don't think about... Back then a one dimensional wrestler could avoid Royce's takedowns, but being a wrestler, they would probably do what they know to do and take Royce down (see Royce vs. Severn) and we know BJJ teaches one to be offensive off their back.

I think if a guy who was a competent boxer and wrestler --like Don Frye-- had come out for UFC 1, he'd have handled Royce.

What was the Frye Guy up to in 93?  Competetive boxing?  Wrestling?

One thing to keep in mind is that in UFC #1 - nobody knew what Royce was even doing most of the time. Don Frye would've been tapped just like Ken Shamrock did. He's prevent Royce from taking him down, but he would've still ended up on the ground on top. From there, he'd have gotten caught too.

People didn't really catch on to what Royce was doing until they saw it.

Domingo - One thing to keep in mind is that in UFC #1 - nobody knew what Royce was even doing most of the time. Don Frye would've been tapped just like Ken Shamrock did. He's prevent Royce from taking him down, but he would've still ended up on the ground on top. From there, he'd have gotten caught too.

I could see that if they met early, but how about a scenario where Frye's on the other side of the brackets and gets a chance to see Royce sub a couple of guys before they face off? 

The Moustache likes to stand and bang, and knowing his opponents stengths he might choose to do so.

Squared Circle - 
Domingo - One thing to keep in mind is that in UFC #1 - nobody knew what Royce was even doing most of the time. Don Frye would've been tapped just like Ken Shamrock did. He's prevent Royce from taking him down, but he would've still ended up on the ground on top. From there, he'd have gotten caught too.

I could see that if they met early, but how about a scenario where Frye's on the other side of the brackets and gets a chance to see Royce sub a couple of guys before they face off? 

The Moustache likes to stand and bang, and knowing his opponents stengths he might choose to do so.

Yeah, knowledge is the key thing here. Royce was an incredible innovator and great fighter. Nobody will ever dispute that, and I or anybody else would have gotten killed in 1993 going in unprepared. But that's not what we are talking about. Who do you really think wins this hypothetical, take me out of the equation and make it a hypothetical fighter.

Royce Gracie, today, at 41 years old and probably 175 pounds.

A guy with solid wrestling and BJJ Blue belt who weighs 225-230 and is in good shape, with standup training as well.

In 1993 Royce wins because nobody knew how to stop him. If the fight happened today, with the full knowledge that Royce can only win by submission? Of course the wrestler has a chance.

There's a reason Royce was so great but stopped after UFC 4. He quickly would have started losing to Karate/Savate/kickboxing guys who had also wrestled in HS and would be able to sprawl on him, or losing to big strong wrestlers who could flatten him out and primitively pound on him.

Ttt like BAM!

Emmanuel Yarborough?