Will Rickson ever release the Yoji Anjo video

Who cares? Only 'old schoolers' and BJJers even know who Rickson is, much much less Anjoh.

imagine having a relaxing Sunday afternoon when you get a call that some guy from Japan is at your school with some Japanese press expecting you to come down to fight? rickson was pissed, so Anjo was taught lesson.

Don't care. I signed up for his dumb website and he never released it.

Jump Kick -
Enson Yamato Inoue -

I saw the tape and Rickson soundly beat Anjo. CHoked hi out unconcious then stepping on his neck as he walked away from an unconcious Anjo. Just like Renzo did to Taktalov. I'd love to see it again.

Thank you Enson. Can you please describe in detail the circumstances and events leading up to you watching The video and include any additional details about what you saw. Thank you in advance!

I saw it after Rickson them called a press conference in japan soon after the dojo invasion. Anjo and his camera crew just showed up at Rickson's gym. Rickson kicked all his camera crew out but let some of his students stay and watch. They scuffled and Rickson literally dominated and controled Anjo on the ground. Rickson beat him at will until he decided he wanted to choke him unconsious. He then let the reporters to take pictures of a bloddy Anjo. 

The reason why the Japanese sent Anjo instead of Takada was because Anjo was much better that Takada in a real fight. 

2 Likes
jcblass -
Jump Kick - 
Enson Yamato Inoue -

I saw the tape and Rickson soundly beat Anjo. CHoked hi out unconcious then stepping on his neck as he walked away from an unconcious Anjo. Just like Renzo did to Taktalov. I'd love to see it again.

Thank you Enson. Can you please describe in detail the circumstances and events leading up to you watching The video and include any additional details about what you saw. Thank you in advance!

Renzo stepped on Ben Spijkers neck.

That’ right my mistake. It was Ben Spikers. 

1 Like
InTheClosetCucumberBoy -
Enson Yamato Inoue -

Dammit Enson I think I just shit myself a little.  Any more details you want to share?  How long ago/where did you see the tape?  Did Rickson prove a point with him?  I always pictured it as a rough nhb fight with a few extra words toward the end to remind Anjo who's house hes in

Thanks for this post either way

Holy shit, this must have been about 25 years ago in 1995 or 1996. I saw the tape when they held a press conference to show the Japanese press at the Shooto gym I was training at. 

1 Like

thank you Enson on your insight

1 Like
per -

From what have been told by those close to the situation Rickson demanded all people and cameras out of the room and he then proceeded to sub Anjoh repeatedly, get the tap, beat on him some, choke him out, wake him up with slaps, next sub, beat him some more and so on. Rickson may not have been that desperate to keep getting headlines, make those extra millions and get extra rich or keep fighting whoever to prove some people wrong. He has however been very aware of his reputation and always cared for his image and how he was percieved, for example he used to get very defensive when reporters bring up the subject of his controversial sambo loss or ask about some technical things in his fights. He knows he is percieved as unbeaten, technically perfect and a proud warrior and he likes to keep it that way so if somebody questions his decisions he will stand by them.

Of course he understands that the Anjoh fight works better as a story than with visuals. If it is anything like described it probably looks sadistic… Maybe Rickson uses foul language, maybe Anjoh pleads for mercy, maybe Anjoh defends himself well for a few minutes which is bad for Rickson’s image as technically perfect. It is just better as a story and Rickson understood that from the start.

Well, if what you say is true then Rickson has no honor and has disgraced the Gracie name.

1 Like
Captain Canuck -
Enson Yamato Inoue -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BErIY92RufI

@ 2:56

This just makes me love Sakuraba even more for hunting down and running through the entire Gracie family. Great times. :)

1 Like
Enson Yamato Inoue -
Jump Kick -
Enson Yamato Inoue -

I saw it after Rickson them called a press conference in japan soon after the dojo invasion. Anjo and his camera crew just showed up at Rickson's gym. Rickson kicked all his camera crew out but let some of his students stay and watch. They scuffled and Rickson literally dominated and controled Anjo on the ground. Rickson beat him at will until he decided he wanted to choke him unconsious. He then let the reporters to take pictures of a bloddy Anjo. 

The reason why the Japanese sent Anjo instead of Takada was because Anjo was much better that Takada in a real fight. 

Tremendous, thank you. Do you remember if Anjoh landed anything, mounted any significant offense, and did he ever give up, submit, cry out, and if so did Rickson just keep beating on him despite his tap?

ILKR -
per -

From what have been told by those close to the situation Rickson demanded all people and cameras out of the room and he then proceeded to sub Anjoh repeatedly, get the tap, beat on him some, choke him out, wake him up with slaps, next sub, beat him some more and so on. Rickson may not have been that desperate to keep getting headlines, make those extra millions and get extra rich or keep fighting whoever to prove some people wrong. He has however been very aware of his reputation and always cared for his image and how he was percieved, for example he used to get very defensive when reporters bring up the subject of his controversial sambo loss or ask about some technical things in his fights. He knows he is percieved as unbeaten, technically perfect and a proud warrior and he likes to keep it that way so if somebody questions his decisions he will stand by them.

Of course he understands that the Anjoh fight works better as a story than with visuals. If it is anything like described it probably looks sadistic… Maybe Rickson uses foul language, maybe Anjoh pleads for mercy, maybe Anjoh defends himself well for a few minutes which is bad for Rickson’s image as technically perfect. It is just better as a story and Rickson understood that from the start.

I’ve actually not come across this one or forgot about it over the years (brain…).

Makes me think a lot less of Rickson. Poor budo (even with the insult of a man turning up with camera crew). I have double standards, though - if Rickson did do this, shame on him; Paul Harris and his selective senses, shame on him; Hendo's diving punch, I could watch every day of the week...

Do you remember the thread to get everyone to donate a dollar towards paying for Rickson to fight (who was it...)?

I'm tired.

I'm with you man, Hendo can get away with anything! He could probably go all Gilbert Yvel on us, kick the referee and I would still find an angle to defend him. I don't remember the thread you are talking about but I remember the general frustration as Rickson would not fight. Big events were 2 months apart, you had time to work yourself up about stuff and really hang yourself up on things as you had no distractions. 

1 Like

It’s pretty damn cool that we get to hear what was on the tape from Fabes and Enson. Thank you gentlemen.

However, their description makes it sound like just another Gracies in Action fight, and that makes me think that there are more interesting fights for me to watch. 

From Gordon Hester, a Rickson BB and former rednamer Momentum:

As for the fight, Rickson was home when Anjo and a big crew showed up at his school. Rickson got the call and drove over. The kicked all the media out of the room and then Rickson’s group filmed the fight. Anjo was bigger than Rickson. No refs and a real fight. Rickson traded some kicks and then eventually went in and got the clinch. He immediately went to the mount and never lost that position. From there he just beat up Anjo with punches. One time Anjo turned over and Rickson kept pounding him in the neck instead of choking it. Rickson told me he wasn’t done punishing him. He rolled back over and took a massive beating including one shot that looked like his nose split in half. He rolled over again and Rickson choked him unconscious and left him in a pool of blood. Rickson didn’t have a scratch on him.

I remember discussing the violence of the fight with Rickson. I felt like he really gave that guy a much bigger beating than necessary. He explained to me that when he let the media back in, there needed to be no doubt who won. Anjo went to the hospital. Rickson celebrated with his students.

Jump Kick -
Enson Yamato Inoue -
Jump Kick -
Enson Yamato Inoue -

Tremendous, thank you. Do you remember if Anjoh landed anything, mounted any significant offense, and did he ever give up, submit, cry out, and if so did Rickson just keep beating on him despite his tap?

Anjo was a lot bigger than Rickson so there was a scuffle that even went outside the mats but he wasn't able to get any sort of offensive off. Rickson was in TOTAL control. Rickson gave him the beating he felt was meritted then choked him unconcious. 

3 Likes
Enson Yamato Inoue -
Jump Kick -
Enson Yamato Inoue -
Jump Kick -
Enson Yamato Inoue -

Anjo was a lot bigger than Rickson so there was a scuffle that even went outside the mats but he wasn't able to get any sort of offensive off. Rickson was in TOTAL control. Rickson gave him the beating he felt was meritted then choked him unconcious. 

So the video was shown at a press conference but no one has video of it other than rickson ? Were there no cameras at the conference ? 

Many thanks to Fades & Enson for added insights… years later, fun to say that the holy grails remain:

1. Rickson (W) vs. Anjo (L)

2. Murrary (W) vs. Tito (L)

3. Randleman (W) vs. Coleman (W) rooftop battle… :slight_smile: j/k

Budo Videos has great pics and story for #1; apology note from Anjo!?!?!

TTT for holy grail threads… never die!

DUNK1

Comment from the budovideos link stating Anjo never tapped or gave up:

• David Crouch March 30, 2016

I was attending the Laguna Niguel Racquet Club with Mark Eccard and Dave Kama when this was happening. After his first fight in Japan, Rickson came by the club to teach, and also to show video from the fight in Japan to folks who would stick around for it. He showed the Japan fight, with commentary as to his thought processes. Then he showed the video of Anjo in Santa Monica, discussing his thoughts at different phases as it went.

Something that struck me as a sign of a true gentleman and scholar-warrior, was a comment about Anjo, by Rickson. He said, toward the end of the video, that he had a lot of respect for Anjo as a fighter, because he did not tap out; he kept struggling to free himself from the choke, right up to the moment he passed out. After all the hype and bravado displayed by Anjo, combined with the fact they had to rip a banister out to let the fight keep rolling, I would have expected Rickson to have nothing good to say about him. In addition to being a consummate teacher and professional, he showed himself to also be a true warrior, able to respect the positive traits in others even though they had an intuitively negative interaction.

And, FWIW, IIRC… he rode his bike to the studio, barefoot, and in his pajamas. The call from Luis that the guy was already there, with a gaggle of press, annoyed him enough to jet there in a hurry.

More insight:

larry painton July 14, 2015

Rickson and his x took me and out to dinner at Gladstones somewhere near 1996. I remember him discussing this match at dinner. According to him it wasn’t so much that he wanted to send the guy back to Japan with a damaged face , but rather he felt disrespected by the whole circus and he purposely delayed the choke in order to teach Anjo a lesson by administering punishment.

Rick Cadena November 26, 2014

I was a student at Rickson’s school in 2001 long after this fight occurred. After one day I was lucky enough to sit and talk with Rickson, and he told me the story of the fight with Anjo. It was pretty much like what Jason said in his comments. Rickson also said that he had chances to choke Anjo out as he kept trying to turn his back to Rickson to avoid a further beating. Instead Rickson kept rolling him face up to hit him, braking his nose and marking his face up. When asked why he didn’t just choke him out right away, Rickson said if he did that, Anjo would just go back to Japan and say he fought Rickson and nothing happened to him, because his face would be unmarked. By breaking his nose and putting some damage to his face, Anjo couldn’t lie, when people saw his face there would be no question he took a beating and lost the fight

• Jason Kleeger November 26, 2014

The way I heard it was .Master Rickson was home sick that day when anjo showed up to the gym un announced. Master Rickson got heated when he found out anjo was there with the media for a Gracie challenge.Master had Rockson drive him there while he wrapped his hands in the car on the way to the gym.Rickson kicked everyone out and said he would open the door s after he was done with Anjo.Rickson took him down went to his favorite side control position ,mounted him and Rained down punches until he felt anjo had enough .Anjo did land one punch close to his right eye but didn’t do any damage .The rest is history .Thats the story I heard .Jason On a side note a Japanese comedian came to the academy the next day wearing a sign that said I challenge Rickson Gracie and was almost beat up by Rockson until they realized he was a comedian ..:)