WMMA Discussion Thread

Angela Magana getting ready to face Michelle Waterson on the 11th July. 

In my opinon and I say this respectfully, fans are counting out Angela and I am not so sure that she is really the underdog, her last performnace didnt show her capabilities and I can appreciate that her personality is not for everyone. Angela has wins over the current number 1 SW (JAG)  and the number 1 Flyweight (Barb Honchak)

What say you?

Faith Van Duin's career highlights and goals  from her official website http://www.faiththeimmortal.com/

10 months to go from white belt in BJJ to blue belt in BJJ and 13 months from blue to purple is pretty impressive

Career Highlights:

·         Started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in February 2012
·         First BJJ comp was 17th of March 2012 where I won a silver medal
·         Started Muay Thai training June 2012
·         First MMA fight 20th of July 2012. I won that fight Via RNC 2.59sec into the first round againest Leiarra Radonich
·         10th November I competed in the Abu Dhabi trials in Auckland and won silver
·         8th of December 2012 I had my second MMA fight and won via RNC 1.36sec into the first round againest Kelly Kinita
·         14th of December 2012 I received my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Blue Belt
·         28th of April 2012 I had my first professional MMA fight, which was for the WKBF Junior Welterweight MMA Champion Belt against Kelly Kinita which I won in a extension round via RNC
·         31st of August 2013 I competed in an 8 women MMA eliminator which I fought three times in the one night. I won all three fights to become the STORM DAMAGE featherweight champion
·         31st of August 2013 I won my first fight in the Storm Damage eliminator against Michelle Peruzzi via TKO 2.01sec into the first round
·         31st of August 2013 I won my second fight in the Storm Damage eliminator against Arlene Blencowe via spilt decision after three rounds
·         31st of August 2013 I won the final fight in the Storm Damage eliminator against Kate Da Silva via triangle choke 1:36sec into the fourth round 
·         September 2nd 2013 I became the 5th ranked featherweight fighter in the world
·         2nd of November 2013 I became the over 65kg NZ National No Gi Champion 
·         January 6th 2014  I received my Purple Belt in BJJ
·         February 4th 2014 I signed to MMAU Management team
·         February 9th 2014 I signed with InvictaFC 
·         November 5th 2014 my debut fight for Invicta FC was announced against Charmaine Tweet in Houston Texas. Unfortunately the fight was called off at the last minute as Tweet did not pass her medical tests.
·         April 24th 2015 I had my first fight in the InvictaFC cage against Amanda Bell. I won via submission 0.38 secs into the second round
·         July 9th 2015 will be my first featherweight world title shot for InvictaFC against current champion Cris "Cyborg" Justino

Goals: 

·         Become Featherweight World Champion in InvictaFC
·         Become Bantamweight World Champion in the UFC
·         Be a great role model

Miriam Nakamoto is the most dominate Muay Thai fighter to ever come from the USA. Male or female Phone Post 3.0

Sunkist1207 - 

In my opinon and I say this respectfully, fans are counting out Angela and I am not so sure that she is really the underdog, her last performnace didnt show her capabilities and I can appreciate that her personality is not for everyone. Angela has wins over the current number 1 SW (JAG)  and the number 1 Flyweight (Barb Honchak)

What say you?

She's going to get crushed like a bug dude.  The last time Waterson lost a fight, she followed it up with a 15 second flying  armbar, a 1st round TKO, a 1st round RNC, a FOTN SD win, an armbar to take Jessica Penne's belt and a belt defense that won her a Vulgar Display of Power Award for the severity of the beatdown she put on Tamada.

The NSAC is going to be investigated for allowing this fight.

SeverianB - 
Sunkist1207 - 

What say you?

She's going to get crushed like a bug dude.  The last time Waterson lost a fight, she followed it up with a 15 second flying  armbar, a 1st round TKO, a 1st round RNC, a FOTN SD win, an armbar to take Jessica Penne's belt and a belt defense that won her a Vulgar Display of Power Award for the severity of the beatdown she put on Tamada.

The NSAC is going to be investigated for allowing this fight.

SeverianB,

If you don't mind me asking, why is the NSAC going to be investigated? Is that a fact or your opinion?

Jessamyn Duke getting ready to meet Elizabeth Philips on July 25th

http://iconosquare.com/p/1021067221730890174_223061059

Shaking my head right now.  

Sunkist1207 -

In my opinions, Reebok should have put Cris Cyborg instead. I doubt many people know Cris as 'Justino'

I hope Cris sees this and asks them to change it.

Reebok changed Rebecca Rawlings to Bec Rawlings

I think they'll change it.
Seems like they just imported a spreadsheet of all the fighters names on the roster and put it into some type of automation program. Phone Post 3.0

Great thread BTW,
VU son. Phone Post 3.0

Ray Elbe - Miriam Nakamoto is the most dominate Muay Thai fighter to ever come from the USA. Male or female Phone Post 3.0
I would love to see Nakamoto vs Germaine de Randaime. Either would stomp Holly Holm, IMO. Phone Post 3.0

Sunkist1207 -
JustAnotherMMAFan - 
Sunkist1207 -

Jessamyn Duke getting ready for her fight on the 25th July

Marina Shafir curtting weight and getting ready for her Invicta debut one week from today!

Ireland's own Catherine Costigan getting ready for her Invicta debut, one week from today

https://instagram.com/p/4OtUIgjMgl

Amber Brown cutting weight and getting ready for her fight against Catehrine Costigan on the 9th July

Who will Shafir fight? Phone Post 3.0

Hey JustAnotherMMAFan,

Marina will be facing Amber Leibrock. Amber will not only be making her Invicta debut on the 9th but also her Pro debut

The Champ has her game face on while cutting weight and getting ready to defend her belt on the 9th

Thanks! So, she's fighting a noob, but, somehow, thought she could beat the most dominant featherweight ever?
Hilarious.
Hope she loses again. Phone Post 3.0

Shayna making her Pro wrestling debut for ECCW in Vancouver on the 11th July

We're looking forward to seeing at at @commodoreballroom July 11

I sooo want to be a fly on the wall backstage at the weigh ins

Karnak LOL... Working outside the new Zuffa drug testing and sponsorship directives, picking up a huge pay check for promises likely never to be kept; honestly, I think she'll be the last fighter to make demands about what happens in the UFC right now. 

With respect, I am not really sure why any of what you are saying is relevent to the fact that Cris is not being represented in the correct manner. If you have been following the aftermath of the Fighter Kit unveiling you would know that the misspellings are not an isolated incident

JonJonesBreaksPregnantWomen'sBones - Great thread BTW,
VU son. Phone Post 3.0

JoneJonesbreakspregnantwomen'snose, 

Thank you for the vote up. Please accept one in return for enjoying this thread :)

Ronda made some comments about one of her old Judo Coaches  in her book (credit to the person who posted in the comments section of bloodyelbow)- See below for his response

I was assigned to the living room, where I slept on a futon on the floor. Jason marketed his club as an elite training center. For admittance, you needed high potential (optional) and parents with deep pockets (mandatory). 

Jason and I were certainly using one another —since I was actually winning at the international level my affiliation with his club made him look good and, in exchange, I had a place to live and to train.

I wasn’t getting a free ride either. I was receiving a small stipend from the New York Athletic Club, where I was a sponsored member, and an even smaller stipend from USA Judo. All of the mail went through Jason first. He had a long silver letter opener and opened every letter, addressed to every resident of the house. "I do it so the envelopes lie flat in the recycling," Jason explained. "If people rip the envelopes open themselves, then they won’t stack flat."

In the morning, the athletes who lived in the house would race out to get the mail, trying to get to their own letters first. But often, Jason beat us to it. Any checks for me, he took as payment for lodging or other expenses. Jason intercepted and deposited every single one of my checks fromUSA Judo and the NYAC the entire time I was there. I didn’t even know what was coming in or what the cost of anything was. I just had to take everything at his word.

Even worse, I didn’t feel myself getting better at Jason’s. He wanted every fighter to fight exactly like him— that was his coaching strategy. He does very straight standup judo and little matwork, with an emphasis on timing over strength. I excelled at matwork and used my strength as an asset on the mat. I tried to find a balance between our two approaches, but Jason’s style didn’t fit my body type, didn’t fit my personality, and just didn’t fit me. At Big Jim’s, any input I tried to offer was dismissed. At Jason’s, my input wasn’t just dismissed, it was ridiculed. I was treated like I was fucking stupid.

Jason Morris responds to comments above made by Ronda in her book

UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has skyrocketed to superstardom since her move to the UFC a couple of years ago. In addition to all the accolades inside the cage, she has a burgeoning acting career and recently released an autobiography. The story of her life is well-known by now, but one part that hasn't been widely discussed is a period in time where she trained Judo with a coach named Jason Morris.

Morris, an Olympic silver medalist, let Ronda sleep in his living room for eight month in New York while she was being trained. In her book, My Fight/Your Fight, she did not describe the time as very productive (via MMA Fighting):

"I was training under a coach I couldn't stand and who was taking my money. I was starving. I was not improving. 'What the (expletive) am I doing here?' I asked myself out loud."

Morris hasn't read the book as of yet, but he told the Albany Times Union that he's not bothered by the comments. He's okay with the 'free advertising, good or bad':

"I was happy to be mentioned. (Rousey) acknowledges that we were part of her rise, and anybody with a brain can say, 'These people must have something going for them.'"

"I'm a judo coach. I do the best I can, and (Rousey) came to me. I didn't seek her out. She wanted expert training, and I did the best I could at that time."

He stated that 'There was nothing remarkable about her,' and she was 'an average teenage kid, kind of sloppy.'

"She was already an exceptional competitor, which she still is today," said Morris. "But she was raw, and there was a lot of room for technical advances. And that's basically where I filled in a lot of things that she does today, among other coaches. I'm just a small blip in her existence."

Still though, Morris believes that Judo is what made her what she is today:

"The reality is she owes her entire existence to our sport," Morris said. "Not to me or any one person. ... The judo community raised her, and this is why she's so successful."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/6/23/8833173/ufc-ronda-rousey-judo-coach-remarkable-sport-mma-news

SeverianB - 

SeverianB, 

If you dont mind me asking, why?

Angela is 11-7 and Michelle is 12-4 so I am not sure why you are saying that the NSAC should be investigated for sanctioning this fight

Angela cutting weight- currently weighing 132lbs 

Sunkist1207 - 
SeverianB - 

SeverianB, 

If you dont me asking, why?

SeverianB is a Waterson's #1 stalker/fanboy.

Don't bother trying to have a rational discussion about Michelle with him.  Just nod your head and back away slowly.  He's incapable of being unbiased when it comes to her. 

Karnak - Sunkist1207
"With respect, I am not really sure why any of what you are saying is relevent to the fact that Cris is not being represented in the correct manner. If you have been following the aftermath of the Fighter Kit unveiling you would know that the misspellings are not an isolated incident"

Yeah, I know, but why would she have anything to say about it?

She's not fighting in the UFC, and even if she navigates the pitfalls and eventually does, it's not going to be much more than a short lived, likely one time deal anyway; so why are Reebok going to be concerning themselves over anything she isn't going to be saying?

As an Ultimate fighter alumna, and somebody who's actually fought on a UFC card, Bec Rawlings has way more issue to beef right now, and Reebok even answered her back in pretty quick time too. So in the line of things to fix, Cyborg may be notch higher than getting FLEXIBILITY right in future, but I doubt it's much than that.

Karnak, 

Cris may not be currently fighting in a UFC octagon but she is signed to Zuffa and the fact that she even has a replica jersey on the Reebok site, in my opinion, gives her just as much right as every other UFC fighter to dispute how she is being represented on the Rebok site

Miesha Tates new business venture- good for her!

Link to commercial 

https://vimeo.com/131678449?ref=tw-share

MMA Fighter Miesha Tate new Product RevBurn is finally here for purchased which has been developed exclusively with Miesha her self and Revlabs Laboratories. RevBurn -Thermogenic Fat Burner, Pure energy caffeine CO crystals for increased energy and endurance, Advantra Z for optimal thermo genic fat incineration, PROC3G for muscle endurance and vasodilatio. For Purchase follow the link: amazon.com/Rev-Labs-Revburn-Thermogenic-Burner/dp/B00Z1AMUUW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_121_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0NGFBWFH4SKZPYV7MYZ3

Steve4192 - 
Sunkist1207 - 
SeverianB - 

SeverianB, 

If you dont me asking, why?

SeverianB is a Waterson's #1 stalker/fanboy.

Don't bother trying to have a rational discussion about Michelle with him.  Just nod your head and back away slowly.  He's incapable of being unbiased when it comes to her. 

Steve4192,

I have no problem with SeverianB being a fan of Michelle but what he said about the NSAC was bizarre and I wondered if he had inside information 

Things are heating up between Joanna Jedrzejczyk and Claudia Gahdela 

In a recent interview Joanna said

The champ wants another piece of Gadelha because she believes that this time out, she'll win going away and settle the matter of who is the better fighter, once and for all.

"I'm a different fighter right now," she said. "Claudia Gadelha, she takes a few steps back. She hasn't fought for a long time. I'm different now, I'm going to win easy this time. I"m better. Now I know I have KO power, my wrestling ia different, getting better and better. I really can play on the ground even better than before."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/7/4/8864997/joanna

To which Claudia responded

Little girl, Forget about me and go train because I'm working hard. You keep talking about me because you know you lost to me.