WMMA Discussion Thread

^^ If you want to claim that Ronda fighting a stick pushed into a plant pot would generate more buys than Ronda vs Cyborg you shouldn't complain about being called out as a troll.

And yes, if Gina came back she could rival Ronda and Joanna in popularity.

Miesha Tate ‏- I would at 140lbs, Cyborg has my utmost respect, it would be an honor

It would be great to see Cyborg against one of the UFC's top 135 lbs women at a catch weight - but I think Meisha gets a title shot at 135 if she beats Eye.

JustAnotherMMAFan, Cris has a dream to fight in the UFC at 135 that she is working hard to achieve. She may be a long way from a fight against Ronda, but, with all due respect, it is unfair to say that "She calls out someone on the Internet, who she got no real intention to fight."

Evinger is Cris' most likely next opponent, her plan is to fight for Invitca's 135 title which had been vacant until now. This will be a huge step up in competition for Chris to make her 135 debut. Now that Chis is contracted to ZUFFA, there will not be any kind of "transition" fight at 140.

"According to UFC President Dana White, however, Cyborg will be fighting at 135 lbs in her next bout. Should the cut from featherweight, which is 145 lbs, down to bantamweight go successfully then the former Strikeforce champion would be booked in a highly anticipated showdown with the world's top ranked female competitor."

Sunkist1207 -

Angela Hill posted this on Instagram after hearing that Bec Rawling pulling out of the fight with Joanna Calderwood- What say you? In my opinion, Joanna would win if they kept the fight standing

I would have liked to see Angela vs jojo Phone Post 3.0

Koga - JustAnotherMMAFan, Cris has a dream to fight in the UFC at 135 that she is working hard to achieve. She may be a long way from a fight against Ronda, but, with all due respect, it is unfair to say that "She calls out someone on the Internet, who she got no real intention to fight."

Evinger is Cris' most likely next opponent, her plan is to fight for Invitca's 135 title which had been vacant until now. This will be a huge step up in competition for Chris to make her 135 debut. Now that Chis is contracted to ZUFFA, there will not be any kind of "transition" fight at 140.

"According to UFC President Dana White, however, Cyborg will be fighting at 135 lbs in her next bout. Should the cut from featherweight, which is 145 lbs, down to bantamweight go successfully then the former Strikeforce champion would be booked in a highly anticipated showdown with the world's top ranked female competitor."

Oh good. Another troll. All we need now is the Alchemist and My Little Pony and the gangs all here.

Sunkist1207 - 

Angela Hill posted this on Instagram after hearing that Bec Rawling pulling out of the fight with Joanna Calderwood- What say you? In my opinion, Joanna would win if they kept the fight standing

It's certainly fishy that Jojo, a high ranked fighter, will now have her 3rd fight in a row against an unknown, unranked fighter making their UFC debut*. I think at first people thought UFC was protecting her trying to get a Euro champ and main event her in Scotland, but now that Joanna is champion and a star at that you have to wonder who is making the decisions as far as who JoJo fights

*Obviously Moroz is ranked now but she was an unknown with very little experience at the time that they fought.

Sunkist1207 - 

Shannon Knapp announced in the post fight press conference that Pannie is the number 1 contender to face Tonya but in my opinion, it should be Raquel Pa'aluhi because she is on a two fight winning streak

1. I'm a okay 2. This is a SPORT, you win some, you lose some 3. Fuck ALL the haters and keyboard warriors.

VU, couldn't agree more on Pa'aluhi. Definitely deserved it over Aldana and can't think of any valid argument as to why Kianzad would get it over her. Hopefully she goes to UFC soon because for some reason or other I don't think Knapp/Kedzie are treating her right.

"She's, by definition, a hater and a keyboard warrior herself. She calls out Cyborg for a fight a year and a half in the future. Then, she needs another year and a half. Finally, when she's signed to Invicta, she needs to make a name before taking the fight.

She calls out someone on the Internet, who she got no real intention to fight"

By definition Shafir is not a keyboard warrior. If she had no intention to fight Cyborg she would not have signed with Invicta. When she signed to Invicta she was coming off a loss and of course she felt she had to prove herself first. 

Gracious in defeat. Much respect to you Faith

Would like to send a big thank you and congratulations to my opponent @criscyborg you are a machine and I respect you for all the hard work you do and how amazing you are smile emoticon Thank you very much. Also a huge congratulations to all the other girls who stepped up and fought and to the winners and new champions so bloody proud to be away of @invictafc with you all smile emoticon Hope you all recover well and enjoy some time to relax.

Quick question- I read a few tweets from fans who say that  Ref Mazaggatti stopped Cyborg vs Van Duin too early and Shafir vs Liebrock too late. In my opinion, the outcomes would have been the same. Van Duin was on the floor covering herself and not defending and with or without the fence grab, Shafir was finished. What say you?

There is talk on Twitterville that Cyborg vs Evinger is the next fight to make as a 135 test fight for Cris. I recall a few months ago,Tonya was on Twitter expressing disappointment about not finding an opponent to fight. Someone mentioned that she should fight Cris and Tonya responded with something along the lines of "Can Cris make 135?" In Dec Tonya said this in an interview

There was talk Evinger might have been Cris "Cyborg" Justino's first foe at 135 pounds until Justino got hurt and had to pull out of a planned bout at Invicta 10. Evinger thinks that would have been a bad choice for "Cyborg."

"I don't think that should have been a fight she should have taken if she wants to fight at 135 and get in the UFC," Evinger said.

She added: "I don't think that would have been the smartest fight for her. I definitely don't think I would have went in and whooped her ass or anything. I just think my strengths are her weaknesses."http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/12/5/7330709/tonya-evinger-ufc-womens-mma-ufc-invicta-fc-10

What say you? In your opinion, what are the weaknesses that Tonya is referring to ? would you like to see this fight or a fight with Miesha at 140? With respect I was hoping that Chad would beat Connor then Cyborg vs Rousey would have been the fight to close the year out and more than likely at 140. Obviously that isnt the case now

Dont forget the TUF Finale tonight- Predictions?

Shayna Baszler's pro wrestling debut

Sunkist1207 - 

I definitely think Angela Hill would have been a more interesting opponent than Cortney Casey. Hill didn't exactly do herself favors with her performance in Mexico City, even if altitude poisoning seemed to taint the whole card, but I'd have probably stuck her in there before signing Cortney Casey. Also, her assessment of Seo Hee Ham is unfair as she was quite well known before the UFC signed her. She was about the #3 Atomweight in the world and it was an open secret that Invicta had been trying to sign her to a direct title shot.

This isn't the worst outcome though, for either party. I had a really lengthy analysis of what Sean Shelby's thought process could have been here that would have let him mostly off the hook (I was thinking he might be protecting both parties), but the more likely answer is he's simply worried about Calderwood and wants to protect her specifically. I kind of doubt Calderwood would duck Angela Hill on her own, but Shelby might want to protect her and give her a potential showcase, since there's really not any other fighters like Bec Rawlings around. At the same time, if she can't get past Cortney Casey, her career, or at least her position as a top 10 fighter, oughta be seriously re-evaluated. And there's no shame for Casey losing to Calderwood in her UFC debut on short notice.

As for Hill, she's an excellent prospect but she's 2-1 and coming off a loss. She's already in a trial-by-fire coming into a shark tank on TUF with a 1-0 record (even if the 3 biggest sharks turned out to be outside the house), and Calderwood is a really dangerous match-up. I think at this point, Hill needs to fight someone a little lower on the totem pole, if I'm a matchmaker and want to make the best use of Hill in the future. I admire Hill's ambition and confidence, and her marketing herself, and think she could definitely be a star down the road, but still.

Anyway if Calderwood lights up Casey as expected, she needs a ranked opponent next for sure.

Sunkist1207 - 

There is talk on Twitterville that Cyborg vs Evinger is the next fight to make as a 135 test fight for Cris. I recall a few months ago,Tonya was on Twitter expressing disappointment about not finding an opponent to fight. Someone mentioned that she should fight Cris and Tonya responded with something along the lines of "Can Cris make 135?" In Dec Tonya said this in an interview

There was talk Evinger might have been Cris "Cyborg" Justino's first foe at 135 pounds until Justino got hurt and had to pull out of a planned bout at Invicta 10. Evinger thinks that would have been a bad choice for "Cyborg."

"I don't think that should have been a fight she should have taken if she wants to fight at 135 and get in the UFC," Evinger said.

She added: "I don't think that would have been the smartest fight for her. I definitely don't think I would have went in and whooped her ass or anything. I just think my strengths are her weaknesses."http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/12/5/7330709/tonya-evinger-ufc-womens-mma-ufc-invicta-fc-10

What say you? In your opinion, what are the weaknesses that Tonya is referring to ? would you like to see this fight or a fight with Miesha at 140? With respect I was hoping that Chad would beat Connor then Cyborg vs Rousey would have been the fight to close the year out and more than likely at 140. Obviously that isnt the case now

I dunno what serious deficiencies Cyborg has really. I guess her gas tank is a bit of an unknown, but Evinger seemed to slow down some herself when she was mauling Aldana. She also doesn't have much of a submission game offensively, but her submission defense is excellent, albeit largely due to her freakish strength.

However I do think Evinger would be a fine stylistic test for Cyborg, and obviously she's the best Bantamweight outside the UFC. The thing about Evinger is she really is very well-rounded, so she doesn't have a lot of weaknesses of her own. Her biggest weakness in the past has been her inconsistent training, but she seems to have addressed that. I'd definitely still give Cyborg odds, because she hits harder than most elite men her size, but I wouldn't write off Evinger completely.

I think the one area Evinger might excel over, say, Marloes Coenen, is her wrestling. Also her core strength supposedly is far stronger than you'd guess from her physique, but no way she matches Cyborg in that regard.

With all the judo training Cyborg has done lately, I get the impression she probably has really good takedown defense. Overall, I think Evinger is Cyborg's best test on the Invicta roster, even at Featherweight, but I'd still give Cyborg 6:1 odds.

Dont forget the TUF Finale tonight- Predictions?

Waterson by submission.

And even though I find Magana entertaining (she's a good heel, what can I say), if she doesn't get past Waterson or put on an amazing performance in a loss, she really ought to go back to the indies to try and get her groove back.

Well, the smallest fighter she faced kicked her behind, dominated the fight and made your majesty tap.
Magana is now 0-4 in her last four fights. I think she will be cut by the UFC. Phone Post 3.0

On Marina Shafir's Loss:

https://instagram.com/p/48JardNxBS/?taken-by=joshlbarnett

Picture rather uneventful but if you look at the comments Josh Barnett says:
"The fence holding is being looked into. Just because a referee doesn't catch it, it doesn't mean it wasn't illegal and potentially altering the fight."

I'm very curious as to what the commission will rule on that one. I was actually rooting for Leibrock and thought Marina was done after the drop, I do not think she would have been able to fully recover and come back to win the fight regardless of what happened. BUT I think that the only reason why the fight ended when it did and how it did was because of the illegal fence hold. Marina was in a good position to leg sweep and Leibrock negated that with the fence hold. It was certainly fight altering and directly contributed to the finish.

Interesting because it reminds me of the fight that Jessamyn Duke, obviously a fellow 4 horsewoman, had with Miriam Nakamoto. Duke got knocked down with a knee and Nakamoto kneed her head again when down and Big John called the KO. He was told after the fight that Duke was grounded and Big John said that she was knocked out after the first knee, so KO stands. Duke appealed to the commission and they ruled in her favor and overturned it to a NC.

But in the same respect, the first time Aldo fought Mendes, the champ grabbed the fence when Mendes tried to take him down and coming off of that kneed Mendes which would conclude the fight. Perhaps not as direct of a consequence, but certainly still a significant factor.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on commission rulings over the next couple months to see if they even decide to hear Marina's case out.

Sunkist1207 -

Alexa Grasso is so dreamy, bad luck to Aldana as well, props to Tonya. Phone Post 3.0

Why isnt Bethe allowed to be confident in her fighting ability?

1. @QoSBaszler Bethe is so in over her head.She is gonna get absolutely destroyed.I can't wait to see her get beat down!
    @JJBurrows4 an absolute delusional piece of shit

JustAnotherMMAFan - Well, the smallest fighter she faced kicked her behind, dominated the fight and made your majesty tap.
Magana is now 0-4 in her last four fights. I think she will be cut by the UFC. Phone Post 3.0

JustAnotherMMAFan 

I am trying to figure out what went wrong with Angela. She beat the number 1 flyweight and the number 1/2 SW then on a 2 fight losing streak managed to win her fight to get into the TUF house then things went downhill again

DEAR CRIS CYBORG – I WAS WRONG

Dear Cristiane,

To cover your fight with Faith Van Duin last night, I found myself looking at your career, your training, and your persona, in far greater detail than I ever have before.

I’ve written about you a number of times in the past and made many strong claims. I’ve stated that the UFC would be crazy to make a fight between you and Ronda Rousey. I’ve made incorrect statements about the level of skill in your striking, and your all round ability as a fighter. I’ve even suggested that your actions prove that you don’t really want this fight to happen.

As such I feel compelled to write you and tell you I’m sorry, I was wrong.

Please understand that like many others who follow you and write about you, I am opinionated, stubborn and pig-headed. I rarely, if ever, backtrack on what I have said. Your performances, your dedication and your nature have now forced me to do so.

You are without question an incredible fighter, the greatest that the featherweight division, and quite probably women’s MMA as a whole, has ever seen. Only one woman comes close to you in the “greatest of all time” debate and that is Ronda.

For a long time I have been firmly in the “Team Rousey” camp. I felt she was a sensational talent and should be celebrated. The talent part remains unquestionable, although I am starting to rethink the level of celebration I should attach to a woman who has no interest in testing herself against her only equal, not to mention many of the comments she has made about you and others in the past. But this is about you, not her.

Perhaps I’d spent too long reading your interviews rather than actually watching them and listening to you speak. I had missed the impassioned tone in your voice when calling for this fight to happen. Now I can see it. I know you’re desperate to fight her and that you are doing everything you possibly can to make it happen. What’s being asked of you is unfair, but then, unfair far too often sums up this sport.

The sad truth, as has been the case in combat sports for as long as prizefighting has existed, is that Ronda can make nearly as much money fighting opponents with half your ability. Fighters that pose half the threat. I wish there was more you could do to change that, but there’s not.

Where once I said I didn’t care if this fight happened, I now realize that I do. It is not simply a fight I want to see, it has become the only fight I want to see in both of your futures. You are both far too good for this debate to go unanswered. It is all either of you have left to prove.

So often in sport we cannot gain such a definitive answer to the question, “Who is the greatest of all time?”. Rarely do the two best operate at their peak at the same time. We have that now, and it would be a travesty if that opportunity were passed up. That it might be, that is something I blamed on you, and I shouldn’t have.

Expecting you to drop to 135 pounds is unrealistic, disrespectful and a pointless exercise. After all, what we all want to know, what I need to know, is who really is better – Ronda Rousey, or Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino?

If you found a way to make that weight, and lost, we’d still have no clue because we wouldn’t be seeing the best Cris Cyborg in that cage. At 135 pounds we couldn’t be. I can’t lie to you, at that weight I don’t think I would be backing you in my pre-fight predictions.

And that’s what this has all really been about. This clear path that was laid out for you, it wasn’t put out there to make this fight happen. It was presented to ensure that if it doesn’t, the blame will be placed firmly at your feet. I bought into the UFC’s narrative, vocally too. I know now that I shouldn’t have.

I’m still not convinced you can make 135 pounds, let alone beat a fighter as skilled as Ronda Rousey if you get there. I fear it would take too much out of you. Against a fighter like Ronda, even a 5% drop in your level of performance could be disastrous.

But I now know two things, no, three. One – I am desperate for this fight to happen. Two – If it does not, that is not your fault. Three – at a 140 pound compromise I would back you, not Rousey, to get the win.

Thank you Cristiane, for forcing me to rethink everything I have ever written about you.

Yours faithfully,

Stephen J Rivers

http://girlfightsmma.com/dear-cris-cyborg-i-was-wrong-41177?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=facebook&utm_sourc

Sunkist1207 -

DEAR CRIS CYBORG – I WAS WRONG

Dear Cristiane,

To cover your fight with Faith Van Duin last night, I found myself looking at your career, your training, and your persona, in far greater detail than I ever have before.

I’ve written about you a number of times in the past and made many strong claims. I’ve stated that the UFC would be crazy to make a fight between you and Ronda Rousey. I’ve made incorrect statements about the level of skill in your striking, and your all round ability as a fighter. I’ve even suggested that your actions prove that you don’t really want this fight to happen.

As such I feel compelled to write you and tell you I’m sorry, I was wrong.

Please understand that like many others who follow you and write about you, I am opinionated, stubborn and pig-headed. I rarely, if ever, backtrack on what I have said. Your performances, your dedication and your nature have now forced me to do so.

You are without question an incredible fighter, the greatest that the featherweight division, and quite probably women’s MMA as a whole, has ever seen. Only one woman comes close to you in the “greatest of all time” debate and that is Ronda.

For a long time I have been firmly in the “Team Rousey” camp. I felt she was a sensational talent and should be celebrated. The talent part remains unquestionable, although I am starting to rethink the level of celebration I should attach to a woman who has no interest in testing herself against her only equal, not to mention many of the comments she has made about you and others in the past. But this is about you, not her.

Perhaps I’d spent too long reading your interviews rather than actually watching them and listening to you speak. I had missed the impassioned tone in your voice when calling for this fight to happen. Now I can see it. I know you’re desperate to fight her and that you are doing everything you possibly can to make it happen. What’s being asked of you is unfair, but then, unfair far too often sums up this sport.

The sad truth, as has been the case in combat sports for as long as prizefighting has existed, is that Ronda can make nearly as much money fighting opponents with half your ability. Fighters that pose half the threat. I wish there was more you could do to change that, but there’s not.

Where once I said I didn’t care if this fight happened, I now realize that I do. It is not simply a fight I want to see, it has become the only fight I want to see in both of your futures. You are both far too good for this debate to go unanswered. It is all either of you have left to prove.

So often in sport we cannot gain such a definitive answer to the question, “Who is the greatest of all time?”. Rarely do the two best operate at their peak at the same time. We have that now, and it would be a travesty if that opportunity were passed up. That it might be, that is something I blamed on you, and I shouldn’t have.

Expecting you to drop to 135 pounds is unrealistic, disrespectful and a pointless exercise. After all, what we all want to know, what I need to know, is who really is better – Ronda Rousey, or Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino?

If you found a way to make that weight, and lost, we’d still have no clue because we wouldn’t be seeing the best Cris Cyborg in that cage. At 135 pounds we couldn’t be. I can’t lie to you, at that weight I don’t think I would be backing you in my pre-fight predictions.

And that’s what this has all really been about. This clear path that was laid out for you, it wasn’t put out there to make this fight happen. It was presented to ensure that if it doesn’t, the blame will be placed firmly at your feet. I bought into the UFC’s narrative, vocally too. I know now that I shouldn’t have.

I’m still not convinced you can make 135 pounds, let alone beat a fighter as skilled as Ronda Rousey if you get there. I fear it would take too much out of you. Against a fighter like Ronda, even a 5% drop in your level of performance could be disastrous.

But I now know two things, no, three. One – I am desperate for this fight to happen. Two – If it does not, that is not your fault. Three – at a 140 pound compromise I would back you, not Rousey, to get the win.

Thank you Cristiane, for forcing me to rethink everything I have ever written about you.

Yours faithfully,

Stephen J Rivers

http://girlfightsmma.com/dear-cris-cyborg-i-was-wrong-41177?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=facebook&utm_sourc

Which part of watching a juicer crush a can impressed you the most? Phone Post 3.0