WMMA Discussion Thread

Sunkist1207 - 

Two females fighting out of Australia, recently signed to US managament companies and making noise on social media

Christina "Creepy" Tatnell- At 18  fought Bec Rawlings on 24hs notice to make her pro debut- currenly 4-1 125lbs

Megan Anderson 4-1 145lb

Megan Anderson vs Jodie Struzik

Looks like Megan signed to Invicta! Congrats! 145 is shaping up nicely

Karnak - 
Sunkist1207 - 
Karnak - Tweet needs to stay at 145. Even if people argue about quality of the female weightclasses, her fate/record will much worse at 135, than it is right now at 145.

And I'm slightly perplexed with the Calderwood vs Rawlings match up too.

Karnak, 

If you dont mind me asking, why are you perplexed by the Rawlings vs Calderwood match up? In my opinion it is a great match up. We were talking about this in another thread and the match making fairies must have been lurking :)

I guess talk of Chamaine going to 135 caused a stir, here is her response

And for those out there that most definitely say I cant do 135 ...who the F/*K are you. I have dominated in combat sports around the World for 13 years and have met every goal I have ever set for myself in this Sport. So although I still have a couple of things left I want to do this year in my current divisions ...Ill warn you all right now ....135`s should start looking behind them sooner then later!!

Well, on the Rawlings vs Calderwood match up, I just thought after she royally messed up her short cut towards a title fight, Calderwood would have been given another opportunity to showcase if she truly has title fight credentials..?

I like Rawlings, but Calderwood will need to put on a 1st RD Lumpinee champ beatdown in Scotland, just to receive any near future title love again. It's like the UFC just decided they don't need/believe in Calderwood as another possible title contender by making this fight.

Oh, and Tweet... well it's nice to have a goal, and I'm sure she'll make it too; but I doubt too many of the 135er's will be looking over their shoulders in fear lol.

Karnak, 

i wouldnt necessarily say that Calderwood  intentionally messed up her title fight chances, with all due respect, I think Joanne is in the same category as fighters who come into the UFC with high expectations and somehow in Joanne's case, things did not go according to plan. Rose Namajunas wrote the blueprint on how to beat Joanne and I think they are the same belt rank in BJJ. Unless Joanne keeps fighting smaller 115ers or fighters with a less developed ground game, in my opinion, she will continue to have problems.

A few months ago, Tweet mentioned on her Twitter account that she wants to fight Jessamyn Duke so that might be her motivation to go to 135 which, in my opinion, is not a good idea for her- the weight, I mean. Duke vs Tweet is actually an interesting match up

Interesting article.  Pretty spot on except that Miesha wanted to be on the prelims instead of the main card against McMann

http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/05/27/ufc-really-committed-womens-bantamweight-division/

ttt

DalyDentedDecimated'sDome - 
Sunkist1207 - 
Sunkist1207 - 

Two females fighting out of Australia, recently signed to US managament companies and making noise on social media

Christina "Creepy" Tatnell- At 18  fought Bec Rawlings on 24hs notice to make her pro debut- currenly 4-1 125lbs

Megan Anderson 4-1 145lb

Megan Anderson vs Jodie Struzik

Looks like Megan signed to Invicta! Congrats! 145 is shaping up nicely

i would love to see Tatnell fight Bec Rawlings again.

Would you nuts believe that Bec's ex husband (who IIRC cornered Bec in that very fight) later married Tatnell?   Think about it.

A rematch would be epic

DalyDentedDecimated'sDome,

I am not sure if they are married but I do know that Dan and Christina have a child together. Everyone is entitled to have thier own opinion regarding his personal life but  Dan Hyatt is a very good marketing and promotions guy and deserves credit for that. Tatnell actually reminds me of a young Bec in terms of fighting style

DalyDentedDecimated'sDome - 
Sunkist1207 - 
Karnak - 
Sunkist1207 - 
Karnak - Tweet needs to stay at 145. Even if people argue about quality of the female weightclasses, her fate/record will much worse at 135, than it is right now at 145.

And I'm slightly perplexed with the Calderwood vs Rawlings match up too.

Karnak, 

If you dont mind me asking, why are you perplexed by the Rawlings vs Calderwood match up? In my opinion it is a great match up. We were talking about this in another thread and the match making fairies must have been lurking :)

I guess talk of Chamaine going to 135 caused a stir, here is her response

And for those out there that most definitely say I cant do 135 ...who the F/*K are you. I have dominated in combat sports around the World for 13 years and have met every goal I have ever set for myself in this Sport. So although I still have a couple of things left I want to do this year in my current divisions ...Ill warn you all right now ....135`s should start looking behind them sooner then later!!

Well, on the Rawlings vs Calderwood match up, I just thought after she royally messed up her short cut towards a title fight, Calderwood would have been given another opportunity to showcase if she truly has title fight credentials..?

I like Rawlings, but Calderwood will need to put on a 1st RD Lumpinee champ beatdown in Scotland, just to receive any near future title love again. It's like the UFC just decided they don't need/believe in Calderwood as another possible title contender by making this fight.

Oh, and Tweet... well it's nice to have a goal, and I'm sure she'll make it too; but I doubt too many of the 135er's will be looking over their shoulders in fear lol.

Karnak, 

i wouldnt necessarily say that Calderwood  intentionally messed up her title fight chances, with all due respect, I think Joanne is in the same category as fighters who come into the UFC with high expectations and somehow in Joanne's case, things did not go according to plan. Rose Namajunas wrote the blueprint on how to beat Joanne and I think they are the same belt rank in BJJ. Unless Joanne keeps fighting smaller 115ers or fighters with a less developed ground game, in my opinion, she will continue to have problems.

A few months ago, Tweet mentioned on her Twitter account that she wants to fight Jessamyn Duke so that might be her motivation to go to 135 which, in my opinion, is not a good idea for her- the weight, I mean. Duke vs Tweet is actually an interesting match up

tweet vs duke has already happened

DalyDentedDecimated'sDome,

Thank you for posting that video, I didnt know that Duke and Tweet faced each other in a Mauy Thai bout. I am not too sure what to make of Jessamyn Duke here. I remember reading that she is a Mauy Thai champ but with all due respect, I am really not convinced. In MMA I think Tweet wins again

Tweet on the other hand looked good and was also able to take Julia Budd another Mauy Thai fighter to a decision even though the outcome wasnt favorable for her.  I am beginning to think that Tweet is somewhat overlooked because of her record. I really want to see Tweet vs De Randemie now and I think she wins that because Germaine's ground game appears to be in the early stages of development

Nice thread! I'm curious about what 155 prospects invicta will sign, as I was under the impression that they were trying to build the division. Phone Post 3.0

Karnak, 

I 100% agree with you regarding your assessment of the 115lb division and to some extent this is the case for the 135 div except for the fact that in my opinIon the UFC are not grooming anyone else to outshine or replace Ronda. In my opinion, With all due respect, what is "popular"? I think in terms of social media presence, making headlines and fans discussion,  In my opinion Bec is more popular. As I mentioned previously, the blueprint on how to beat Joanne has already been written and she will have a hard time against those who are strong grapplers. Regarding her last fight, Joanne did say she was having some personal issues and that could have also contributed to her performance but I think I will reserve my opinion until after this fight to see where Joanne is and if she is moving in the right direction. As I  mentioned previously, In my opnion, I dont think the UFC know what to do with the womens divisions and really should have a matchmaker who would be dedicated to building thos divisions and not just put random match ups together.

Should apologise now for the poor Mma community that's gonna have to listen to my opponent talk shit for the next 8 weeks

I am not a medical professional but I personally do not see Tweet making 135 but I do see Jessamyn maiking 145 a weight she has fought before if things in the UFC do not work out. As I mentioned above, I am beginning to think that Tweet is being overlooked

commonsense517 - 

Interesting article.  Pretty spot on except that Miesha wanted to be on the prelims instead of the main card against McMann

http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/05/27/ufc-really-committed-womens-bantamweight-division/

Commonsense517, 

Thank you for posting this article. It pretty much sums up what some of us WMMA fans have said here recently and echoes what Dana has said, the 135 division is the ":Ronda Show" I say this respectully but WMMA in the UFC has only benefited Ronda and the UFC. Unless the UFC can find a "UFC Marketable" star to replace Ronda or somehow, Ronda gets beaten by someone who the UFC can market, I say this respectfully but that divison will fold when she decides to walk away

Feesha - Nice thread! I'm curious about what 155 prospects invicta will sign, as I was under the impression that they were trying to build the division. Phone Post 3.0

Welcome Felicia :)

At one point Shannon said Cris Cyborg was going to fight in 155 to help build that division up but that decision appears have been sidelined right now. I know that Charmaine Tweet was campaigning for a fight at 155 with Andria Wawro but I think that has  been postponed. I think this is a shame because Invicta is in a unique situation to take advantage of the market that Bellator and the UFC dont already have. There were rumors that Erin Toughill was interested in 155 at Invicta. If that turns out to be true, that is a great addition along with yourself to help grow the division

Would you consider fighting at 145?

Felica I hope you dont mind me posting the media below so everyone here can get to know more about you :)

Ferlicia Spenser 5-1 155lb

Kansas City, Mo. — The newest division in Invicta FC has a fresh face.

Joining the promotion’s lightweight division will be 24-year-old Felicia Spencer. The Canada-born, Florida-raised fighter earned a contract with the promotion after winning the Tuff-N-Uff “Future Stars of MMA” tournament on Jan. 9.

Spencer, known as “Fee-Nom,” claimed the tournament with two finishes. She submitted Leanne Foster in the opening bout, before earning a TKO over Jessica Richer in the final.

“There is no place I’d rather be signed,” Spencer said of her Invicta contract. “It means that I am going to be competing with the best in the world. It’s an honor to be part of it.”

The wins moved Spencer’s amateur record to 5-1, with five straight victories. She will make her professional debut inside the Invicta cage in 2015.

“I’m sure the rollercoaster of emotions will lead up to my debut, but I know as soon as I walk out and step in the cage, I will be beyond excited and ready to bring it on,” claimed Spencer. ” I will bring the fight to anybody. I hope to be in that cage with someone soon, so that I can earn my place on the roster.”

What say you?

Utimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight rising star Julianna Pena, who captured The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 18 crown with a technical knockout win over Jessica Rakoczy, looked impressive in her return from injury, smashing Milana Dudieva into oblivion.

But with just two fights under the ZUFFA banner, it's a bit premature to start talking about a potential title fight against Ronda Rousey.

Unless...

The best way to leapfrog the rest of the 135-pound division is to use former No. 1 contender Cat Zingano as a stepping stone. "Alpha" suffered her first professional defeat at the hands of "Rowdy" earlier this year, but outside of that 14-second loss, has looked nearly invincible.

"That's the best fight for [Pena's] career path," Pena's head coach, Rick Little, told UFC Tonight (via MMA Fighting).

Zingano is likely to stay on the shelf until later this fall, but it sounds like Pena may be willing to wait, since a victory over "Alpha" is bound to do more for her career than a pair of wins over middle or lower-tier competition. That's up to promotion matchmakers, but it's hard not to like that potential pairing.

And the victor could go on to face Ronda Rousey the winner of this fight at the year-end UFC pay-per-view (PPV) event.

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/5/28/8677035/ufc-julianna-pena-vs-cat-zingano-vixen-interested-in-alpha-fight-this-fall-mma

Pena vs Zingano is a great fight 

Sunkist1207 - 
commonsense517 - 

Commonsense517, 

Thank you for posting this article. It pretty much sums up what some of us WMMA fans have said here recently and echoes what Dana has said, the 135 division is the ":Ronda Show" I say this respectully but WMMA in the UFC has only benefited Ronda and the UFC. Unless the UFC can find a "UFC Marketable" star to replace Ronda or somehow, Ronda gets beaten by someone who the UFC can market, I say this respectfully but that divison will fold when she decides to walk away

They won't fold it... RR wont walk away for at least 2 years and by then there will be more talent in the division then there is now. Plus they can find some new girl from Invicta to market, maybe miriam nakamoto if she comes back. Really doubt they fold the division though.

Charmaine Tweet has also caught the acting bug :)

Her role in the movie below has not been disclosed yet

Update from the movie Jessica Halverson & @notsosweetmma will be joining the cast & I'll be on @wmmajamlive tomorrow http://ow.ly/NwJKF 

Currently in production, "Four Months Until Fight Day" is not your typical female fighting movie.

Synopsis

Alyson (Kate Cummings) doesn’t have much of a life outside of work and taking care of her mother Sarah (Lori Glassco), a recovering alcoholic. One letter will soon change all that.

As soon as she reads it, Alyson is determined to learn how to fight. Training off of videos of her dad's boxing matches back in the day, she soon realizes she needs to test her skills in the cage.

Along the way she meets Becca (Shelby Decker), a reformed party girl from the big city looking for a simpler life. She soon becomes a mentor of sorts to the shy and introverted Alyson, who dreams of life traveling across the world.

Alyson is also befriended by Brenden (Tevin Stutzman), a MMA fighter on the mend after a difficult injury. At first Alyson refuses his help, but soon realizes she needs guidance and support.

This all leads to the day Alyson has trained for. Not for a title. Not for the glory. But to stand for something.

The movie tackles interdependence, the meaning of friendship, and what fighting is truly all about: self discipline and believing in yourself.

Sunkist1207 -
Feesha - Nice thread! I'm curious about what 155 prospects invicta will sign, as I was under the impression that they were trying to build the division. Phone Post 3.0

At one point Shannon said Cris Cyborg was going to fight in 155 to help build that division up but that decision appears have been sidelined right now. I know that Charmaine Tweet was campaigning for a fight at 155 with Andria Wawro but I think that has  been postponed. I think this is a shame because Invicta is in a unique situation to take advantage of the market that Bellator and the UFC dont already have. There were rumors that Erin Toughill was interested in 155 at Invicta. If that turns out to be true, that is a great addition along with yourself to help grow the division

Felica I hope you dont mind me posting the media below so everyone here can get to know more about you :)

Joining the promotion’s lightweight division will be 24-year-old Felicia Spencer. The Canada-born, Florida-raised fighter earned a contract with the promotion after winning the Tuff-N-Uff “Future Stars of MMA” tournament on Jan. 9.

Spencer, known as “Fee-Nom,” claimed the tournament with two finishes. She submitted Leanne Foster in the opening bout, before earning a TKO over Jessica Richer in the final.

“There is no place I’d rather be signed,” Spencer said of her Invicta contract. “It means that I am going to be competing with the best in the world. It’s an honor to be part of it.”

The wins moved Spencer’s amateur record to 5-1, with five straight victories. She will make her professional debut inside the Invicta cage in 2015.

“I’m sure the rollercoaster of emotions will lead up to my debut, but I know as soon as I walk out and step in the cage, I will be beyond excited and ready to bring it on,” claimed Spencer. ” I will bring the fight to anybody. I hope to be in that cage with someone soon, so that I can earn my place on the roster.”

Thanks! I do think 145 would be a good fit for me, I just don't know what invicta has in mind for me yet. :) Phone Post 3.0

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much - 
Sunkist1207 - 
commonsense517 - 

Commonsense517, 

They won't fold it... RR wont walk away for at least 2 years and by then there will be more talent in the division then there is now. Plus they can find some new girl from Invicta to market, maybe miriam nakamoto if she comes back. Really doubt they fold the division though.

If it aint Dutch it aint much,

With all due respect, the division is pretty non existent with Ronda in the UFC and that is the problem. I agree with you and I did mention that they would need a "UFC Marketable" star to take her place and that will more than likely be someone in the 115 div. If Ronda loses to Bethe what happens then?

Feesha - 
Sunkist1207 -

Thanks! I do think 145 would be a good fit for me, I just don't know what invicta has in mind for me yet. :) Phone Post 3.0

Felicia, 

Is there anyone in the 145 Div that you would like to fight? Hopefully the matchmaking fairies see this and can make it happen for you :)

I personally would like to see Spenser vs  Bell as a welcome to Invicta fight if 155 is on hold for the moment

Good for Charmaine, she is really turning things up 

23 hrs · 

Well , Im going to be in Vegas for the UFC Fight Expo & Invicta FC 13, but not as a competitor. But the good news is I will be competing in the IBJJF Tournament that same week , and of coarse will be in attendance for Invicta 13 Cheering on all my fellow athletes !!

Elizabeth Phillips vs added to on July 25th.

Jessamyn and Elizabeth have fought before. Jesamyn beat her in an amateur fight

Jessamyn

Elizabeth

Like Jessamyn, Elizabeth is also 0-2 in the UFC and wrote this on social media after her loss

Karnak, 

Pardon me if I didnt make myself clear, I meant that the UFC dont appear to be grooming or marketing another fighter to possibly share the spotlight with Ronda in the 135 div. Ronda is popular but if we look at the bigger picture, how is that really benefiting the UFC 135lb division? Sarah Kaufman and Alexis Davis both had decent popularity in their own right but there is no question that the UFC PR machine  helped Ronda get to where she is right now and even still, there are some casual fans who are not interested in WMMA. With all due respect, it comes down to who is deemed "UFC marketable" which I have mentioned several times. I mean no disrespect to  the fighters in 135 but the sad reality is that if they had a different look, in my opinon, the UFC wouldnt put all their "eggs" into the Ronda basket and those fighters would get a share of the UFC PR machine. This was evident when  Carla who was the SW champ was literally pushed to the side for Paige. One solution which could possibly begin remedying this situation is something I have mentioned before, the UFC need to hire a matchmaker dedicated  to the 135 and 115 division  who also has the aim of growing WMMA in the UFC.

Holly's situation is not an isolated incident and I am not really surprised. Raquel is a prime example of what you mentioned, a "wild card" who, even though she didnt win, threw a monkeys wrench into the UFC's plans for Holly. Raquel took two world class boxing champions to a decision and in my opinon, she should have won both fights. 

If we look at the current 115 div.
Champion : Joanna Jedrzejczyk
I say this respectfully, I see Joanne having trouble with everyone in the top 10 who hasnt already beaten her. I see more of a future for 115 then I do for 135. There are several "UFC marketable" fighters in that division to keep it afloat in my opnion

Sara McMann believes the UFC's uniform contract with Reebok could be discriminatory to female fighters. In a statement released Thursday, the UFC said that it would be standing by its tiered payment structure based on tenure.

The statement reads:

"The new UFC Athlete Outfitting Policy (AOP) equally recognizes each athlete's tenure in UFC, as well as any bout appearances in the WEC and Strikeforce for the period those organizations were under the Zuffa, LLC ownership. Women fighters with limited bouts under the tenure model are treated the same as other experienced men or women new to UFC from other organizations not included in the tenure model. This new policy was designed to provide an equal opportunity for both men and women in each tenure tier. In addition, the champions and challengers, regardless of tenure, will be equally compensated under the AOP for their bouts, something few other sports can claim."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/5/28/8682595/ufc-responds-to-accusation-that-reebok-deal-is-discriminatory-to-women

I wonder if Sara's comments are going to affect her UFC career.