WMMA Discussion Thread

Karnak - Sunkist1207

If you think Zuffa made Ronda Rousey a star, your giving them way too much credit for factors they continue to be nothing but shocked about lol.

Remember, Rousey was generating attention from her Strikeforce days, and continues to get the kind of media attention the UFC could only dream of courting for their other fighters too.

Put simply, none of this is a tangible thing which can simply be scooped up, and passed around other fighters who Zuffa deem worthy of more recognition. "UFC marketable" is a myth, put on fighters by fans who don't understand the factors which make somebody a star.

This is where somebody like PVZ now becomes increasingly annoying on this topic, as the MMA bubble watches Zuffa pushing her onto standard MMA related media, and instantly eqaute this as PVZ attempting to replicate Rousey trajectory to fame... but Narrrrr, sorry, it's just not the same thing folks.

Various other women will/are/can be stars in the UFC, but expecting Rousey's success to be the blue print for other women to follow, thanks to sharing Zuffa's 24/7 Rousey PR machine... huh? The same Zuffa PR that can just organize having other women featured on Rolling Stone, because they have the power to do that sort of thing.. lol.

Anyway, on the subject of Calderwood again, I agree with your opinion suggesting she's got a lot to prove; but seriously, you think she's worried about striking/clinching with VanZant, Torres, Penne, or even Namajunas again..? All Zero wrestling, with only Penne a BJJ black belt.

Karnak, 

I totally agree, Rousey was making waves in SF before garnering the interest of the UFC but there is no denying that being on the UFC platform catapulted Rousey into another level of stardom in MMA. I recently read that The Rock's ex wife is now Rousey's business manager(I think they own a managment company together) which is a good look for her because it appears that is the direction she is moving into.

Karnak-Various other women will/are/can be stars in the UFC, but expecting Rousey's success to be the blue print for other women to follow, thanks to sharing Zuffa's 24/7 Rousey PR machine... huh?

This is the issue I have with the UFC pertaining to how they  treat WMMA.   Ronda is  great at marketing herself and putting herself out there but I am sure that is the case with the other ladies so why not offer these opportunities to others willing to step up? Outside of Ronda, ask the casual UFC fan who fights in the top ten of the 135 womens division and I doubt they could come up with four names and why is that?. The UFC are not even giving others the opportunity. Actually,  I should correct myself, Miesha is given some opportunities but in the grand scheme of things, those opportunities are miniscule. Look at Mightly Mouse Johnson, he is a 125lb champ and has cleaned out his division but is rarely ever seen in anything UFC related until the week he is fighting, why is that? you have Connor McGregor who is playing the "game" and appears to be more popular than most, why is that? If Mouse was given those same opportunities could he be as succesful as Conor? why not try and find out?

Karnak- his is where somebody like PVZ now becomes increasingly annoying on this topic, as the MMA bubble watches Zuffa pushing her onto standard MMA related media, and instantly eqaute this as PVZ attempting to replicate Rousey trajectory to fame... but Narrrrr, sorry, it's just not the same thing folks. 

Well  I give the UFC a cookie for at least attempting to groom Paige so that someone can at least keep WMMA afloat if Ronda decides to leave in the near future. If we look at women UFC have been previously interested in,  Paige is no different. Shelby Walker(RIP), Gina Carano,  have one thing in common, put on the UFC pedastal, they are deemed marketable and if pushed to and I say this respectfully, annoying levels, people will eventually buy in. Paige is an attractive young woman, she has that "all American" look which is definatley marketable to mainstream media. However,  will Paige  reach Rousey levels of stardom? maybe not or maybe I am being premature in my assumption because she is still new to the UFC but,  what she does have to offer is good enough for Reebok to make an investment in her. 

Karnak-Anyway, on the subject of Calderwood again, I agree with your opinion suggesting she's got a lot to prove; but seriously, you think she's worried about striking/clinching with VanZant, Torres, Penne, or even Namajunas again..? All Zero wrestling, with only Penne a BJJ black belt.

As I mentioned previously the blueprint on how to beat Joanne is written so unless she concentrates on building a solid ground game, she will unfortunately have problems. 

Karnak, 

With the exception of Ronda and Miesha, how often do you see the other women in the 135 div promoting UFC events or attending UFC releated media events? Dana has said several times that the UFC are invested in WMMA but with respect, they only appear to be invested in Ronda. Ronda is great at what she does, if she was still still in SF, would the SF platform afford her the opportunities she is getting now? who knows but there is no denying that the UFC's invested and endorsement has elevated her career

Karnak- I mean the idea of fighter needing to be given opportunities, is where I feel we as fans can disconnect from the reality of a world out side of the MMA bubble; a place where Zuffa's power isn't all encompassing, and individuals like Rousey and MacGreggor continue to stand out by forcing the issue, in a sport still filled with athletes sat hands open.

I do agree that the fighters need to be somewhat proactive in self promotion but how often are fighters on social media begging to be given the opportunity to do just that? I wouldnt necessarily say that there are fighters sitting with hands open but again it comes down to who the UFC think are "Marketable"  for them

Karnak- Calderwood's got an elite MT background like JJ, but both her recent defeats have come through her opponents pulling guard lol.

I am still developing an appreciation for Joanne even though I think she has the tools to be a great MMA but for someone who is a blue belt in BJJ( I could be wrong and please correct me if I am)  shouldnt she know how to somewhat defend against an opponent pulling guard?

"With the exception of Ronda and Miesha, how often do you see the other women in the 135 div promoting UFC events or attending UFC releated media events?"

Jessica Eye got sent to a couple events to do media Q&A if I remember correctly. She even went with Dana White and Rousey to some award event or something.

I remember because I was pretty pissed at the time thinking this meant she was going to leapfrog Bethe Correia. Bethe has also been doing a lot of media recently.

And Miesha of course, she like others have said, is the most recognizable active female fighter outside of Rousey, and is always up to something, from photoshoots to press events.

luctaro - "With the exception of Ronda and Miesha, how often do you see the other women in the 135 div promoting UFC events or attending UFC releated media events?"

Jessica Eye got sent to a couple events to do media Q&A if I remember correctly. She even went with Dana White and Rousey to some award event or something.

I remember because I was pretty pissed at the time thinking this meant she was going to leapfrog Bethe Correia. Bethe has also been doing a lot of media recently.

And Miesha of course, she like others have said, is the most recognizable active female fighter outside of Rousey, and is always up to something, from photoshoots to press events.

Luctaro,

Are you talking about when they were in Texas for SXSW?

It is understandable that Bethe is doing media now because she is promoting her fight. I also assumed that Jessica Eye was next when she went to SXSW. 

Lucrato- And Miesha of course, she like others have said, is the most recognizable active female fighter outside of Rousey, and is always up to something, from photoshoots to press events.

This is one of the reasons why I was somewhat bothered when Miesha said the new Reebok deal is unfair to women. She was getting more opportunites to make money and was probably making more than some of the fighters in the mens divisions and didnt have an issue with it being unfair then. Now that she says she is losing 80-90% of her sponsorship money,  its suddenly a gender issue

Has anyone heard any  news on Invicta 13? So far the only person we know who will definately be in the card is Cris Cyborg.

With respect, this is where Invicta are falling short. The whole card should have been announced by now. It would be interesting to know what kind of marketing model they are using

Meet Cindy "Battlecat" Dandois- A Judoka from Belgium currently signed to the Invicta 135 div although she has fought at 145. Currently 5-2.

Miesha Tate trained with Cindy picking up some Judo techniques for her last fight with Ronda.

Cindy made headlines when she beat Jorina Baars while 2 1/2 months pregnant but didnt know it!

^^Well before it was pretty much the wild west, and you got whatever you could negotiate. She is hot and young and highly regarded as well as top ranked so she got a lot of money from it. Nothing wrong with that.

I also get why she would complain about the Reebok deal, but that is a sh*tty deal for everybody. Rather than go at eachothers throats they should ban together and get something done about it.

I would make the Reebook deal 3tiered.
1 3rd goes to ranking distribution.
1 3rd goes to tenure
1 3rd goes to main and co-main fighters.

But of course that means giving out way much more money than UFC is willing to.

Sunkist1207 -

Meet Cindy "Battlecat" Dandois- A Judoka from Belgium currently signed to the Invicta 135 div although she has fought at 145. Currently 5-2.

Miesha Tate trained with Cindy picking up some Judo techniques for her last fight with Ronda.

Cindy made headlines when she beat Jorina Baars while 2 1/2 months pregnant but didnt know it!

Cindy seems like an awesome person. Not sure how long she will keep fighting but I'd like to see her fight one more time before she calls out a mcmann type. Phone Post 3.0

Juliana Lima(right) def Ericka Almeida  via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-25)

What say you about this fight? I wouldnt mind seeing Lima vs Gadehla

For anyone who didnt watch, here is a recap from MMA Junkie

The women’s strawweight bout was part of the preliminary card of today’s UFC Fight Night 67 event at Goiania Arena in Goiania, Goias, Brazil. It streamed on UFC Fight Pass ahead of additional prelims and a main card on FOX Sports 1.

Almeida (7-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) was quick to try for a head and arm takedown and Lima (8-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) attempted to roll through, resulting in a struggle for position on the ground. Lima used a reverse triangle grip to push through the position to end up on top in Almeida’s guard. Lima kept safe positions once inside the guard and worked some strong punches and elbows.

Almeida looked to scramble out of position and almost ended up in a heel hook for her trouble before ending up right back with Lima in her guard where she would finish Round 1.

It took less than 15 seconds in Round 2 before Lima put Almeida on her back and went back to her safe ground and pound strategy. Lima’s strategy wasn’t thrilling, but was effective as Almeida was forced to repeatedly throw her legs up in a futile attempt to catch an arm or a triangle choke.

With roughly 50 seconds left in the round the referee stood the women back up where Lima pushed Almeida to the cage with a Thai clinch before the round ended.

Almeida had the opportunity to try and get some work done on the feet in Round 3 with the action staying on the feet for an extended period of time. Almeida landed a crisp right hand but that was all she did before Lima scored with a takedown and put the fight right back in her realm.

The judges gave the fight to the obvious winner, Juliana Lima, but there was one surprising scorecard turned in as the scores read 30-27, 30-27 and 30-25.

“Ericka surprised me at the beginning, but I found a way to get back on track,” Lima said. “It was not the perfect fight for me, but I’m getting better every fight.”

Lima came into the fight having rebounded from a loss to current UFC women’s straight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk in her octagon debut by beating Nina Ansaroff by unanimous decision. The fight was Almeida’s first in the UFC and her first career loss.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/05/ufc-fight-night-67-results-juliana-lima-coasts-past-gritty-ericka-almeida

luctaro - ^^Well before it was pretty much the wild west, and you got whatever you could negotiate. She is hot and young and highly regarded as well as top ranked so she got a lot of money from it. Nothing wrong with that.

I also get why she would complain about the Reebok deal, but that is a sh*tty deal for everybody. Rather than go at eachothers throats they should ban together and get something done about it.

I would make the Reebook deal 3tiered.
1 3rd goes to ranking distribution.
1 3rd goes to tenure
1 3rd goes to main and co-main fighters.

But of course that means giving out way much more money than UFC is willing to.

Luctaro, 

. I agreee with you there is nothing wrong with Miesha taking advantage of her oppotunities but she wasnt making it a gender issue at the time and that is what bothers me about her statement.

At this point, I dont think banding together is going to make much of a difference. I say this respectfully but the fighters who the UFC are invested in, those who make the most money for the compnay are not complaining so why should the UFC try to appease those , and I say respectfully, who are still progressing in terms of drawing power? In my opinion, the UFC should grant a release to those who think they can make more money elsewhere or better yet introduce more sponsors into the mix. 

Pardon me if you have seen this already but this is the statement the UFC issued in response to Sara McMann's statments

“The new UFC Athlete Outfitting Policy (AOP) equally recognizes each athlete’s tenure in UFC, as well as any bout appearances in the WEC and Strikeforce for the period those organizations were under the Zuffa, LLC ownership,” UFC officials said in a statement to MMAWeekly.com./o:p

“Women fighters with limited bouts under the tenure model are treated the same as other experienced men or women new to UFC from other organizations not included in the tenure model. This new policy was designed to provide an equal opportunity for both men and women in each tenure tier./o:p

“In addition, the champions and challengers, regardless of tenure, will be equally compensated under the AOP for their bouts, something few other sports can claim.”/o:p

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-responds-to-sara-mcmanns-claims-of-gender-inequity-in-reebok-deal/o:p

^^Well, I really hope the fighters do something serious about the Reebok deal real quick, because otherwise their complains will become pure whining in my book.

I will stop caring about their pay and about their fair compensation if their are unwilling to go to great lengths to get it (sue, labour strike, public disobedience by not wearing Reebok on Fight Night etc)

Karnak - Sunkist1207

Being on Strikeforce Challengers didn't get Rousey onto things like the SI cover, or the mainstream late night talk show circuit. All these things were happening for her prior Zuffa taking over Strikeforce, and we all know these mainstream opportunities weren't being handed to Rousey off of Strikeforce's brand recognition.

Having their female SF champ turn up to UFC shows and do various MMA media work, is the exact thing we see Zuffa doing for other women within their promotion; but it's not Zuffa's fault that the promotional opportunities Rousey's carved out for herself, completely dwarf that seen by any other MMA athlete to come before her.

Male or female, Zuffa can only do so much. The rest constantly comes down to factors few of us ever see up close, or understand from afar, and I'm pretty sure Rousey's legacy will see WMMA having a firm future within the UFC's promotion too.

I mean think about it... no Rousey factor, does Zuffa have any interest in helping Invicta stay around and grow? Do the elite women have the opportunity to earn the kind of money they do now at the highest level? I mean from PVZ to Cyborg, various women now have the pathways in place to basically live well because of the opportunity creating slip stream aka Rousey's growing fame....

On 115, BJJ belts, and submission defense, without pulling guard, I don't see many/any elite grapplers capable of getting fights to the ground in a controlled fashion, and on a regular basis either. So if Calderwood can develop a solid take down defense, I'm pretty sure she could see significant levels of in cage improvement.

JJ's a significantly better athlete, but a solid sprawl, and intelligent clinch breaking technique, will go a long long way in this division.

Karnak, 

Pardon me if I am incorrect but I think you agreeing with me. I said that being in the UFC and having their enodrsement and investment definately helped catapult Ronda onto anothe level in terms of WMMA. I did mentione that yes, the fighters should also make the effort to self promote but that only goes so far if you are not given a bigger platform to showcase what you can do

Karnak- I mean think about it... no Rousey factor, does Zuffa have any interest in helping Invicta stay around and grow? Do the elite women have the opportunity to earn the kind of money they do now at the highest level? I mean from PVZ to Cyborg, various women now have the pathways in place to basically live well because of the opportunity creating slip stream aka Rousey's growing fame....

I say this with all due respect but if every athlete on the Invicta roster looked like Paige, Ronda or were "UFC Marketable"  there would be no Invicta right now. This unfortunately is the sad truth. If Gina beat Cris in 2009, WMMA would have been in the UFC in 2010 because as I said previously, Dana was interested in Gina. I say this respectfully and I have said this before, WMMA in the UFC has only benefited Ronda and the UFC. Cris Cyborg is making money based on her own name and not the UFC PR machine. Cris said  that she can  retire and live comfortably without the Rousey fight. Until every other female in the UFC is making a decent fight purse and not begging on social media for fights, I will not accept that the UFC are totally invested in WMMA. I mean no disrespect by bringing this up but Raquel Penningtons disclosed fight purse for co-main eventing a UFC card was $10k. That alone in my opinion speaks volumes. The fact that one or two female fighters are being used to promote UFC fight cards and attending UFC related events when there is a roster of 40 plus fighters also speaks volumes.

I say this with no disrespect to Joannes current Gym but I think she should do what Bec is doing, find a gym in the US and do some of her fight camp in the US. 

luctaro - ^^Well, I really hope the fighters do something serious about the Reebok deal real quick, because otherwise their complains will become pure whining in my book.

I will stop caring about their pay and about their fair compensation if their are unwilling to go to great lengths to get it (sue, labour strike, public disobedience by not wearing Reebok on Fight Night etc)

Luctaro, 

I am not well versed in Employment/Contract  law but as Independent Contractors, do the fighters have much to stand on? As I mentioned earlier, those who have been outspoken should be granted a release if they feel they can make money elsewhere. 

Hello Moderators viewing this thread :)

Can I humbly request for this thread to be stickied? We have already had one fabulous Pro Fighter post here and hopefully if this thread is stickied,  other fighters will  participate in the discussions.  For your time, please help yourself to a cupcake. Thanks in advance  :)

Karnak, 

I think somewhere along the lines of communication, we are confusing each other :)

I totally agree with you that the UFC platform did help elevate Ronda career on to the next level but Ronda is also very good at promoting herself so it sort of goes hand in hand. This same platform or should  I say "PR Machine" doesnt appear to be available to the majority of the female or male fighters in the UFC. I have provided evidence of this in our past exchanges. 

Karnak- I mean people saying Ronda's commercial success can be replecated with a PVZ, seems unbelievably condescending regarding the quite ridiculous set of factors which saw Rousey become Zuffa's most transcendent athlete ever; with lazy suggestions being pretty/cute are the only factors Zuffa care about in promoting other women, honestly always even more disappointing in it's naivety.

I wouldnt say its naivety but let us exam the evidence. If you watched TUF strawweights and read all the interviews and predictions,  it was very obvious that Dana was anticipating the season to be be won by Rose Namajunas. Very green in her MMA career but  brimming with potential and very very marketable. Unfortunatley this didnt hape for Rose and Carla won. Carla was actually left off the offical promotional poster and was literally pushed to the side for a newcomer Paige who with what she had to offer, was able to secure an exclusive sponsorshop deal with Reebok after only one fight in the UFC. Now I mean no disrespect to Paige and congratulate her on all she has accomplished but the situation really is what it is. This situation is also relevent to the mens division as well. If you go to store and see a product you would like to try for the first time but the packaging isnt satisfactory, would you still be willing to try that product?

Karnak- Certain sections will tell themselves it would have all been different if Gina beat Cyborg back in 2011, but seriously, Zuffa weren't ever going to bring in a women's 145 division on the back of that one fight... NEVER, and the idea a women who fought 3 times in 4YEARS lol, isn't doing better now in the vacuum of Rousey's fame, is a nonsense to any true debate concerning female fighters general relevancy, in the present climate of wider MMA too.

In my opinion, if Ronda had been in the 105 divison, that wouldve  been the first division in the UFC. I personally dont think it mattered what her weight class was as long as she was marketable. Shelby Walker (RIP) fought in the 125lb div, Gina fought 145 again more examples of my point. Prior to the SF Cyborg vs Carano fight, Dana was very intested in Gina and if my memory serves me correctly, there was a perculiar stipulation in her contract which prevented any negotiations from happening. Dana made it very clear that he was interested in promoting Cyborg vs Carano in WEC and going on from there. At that time, Gina was fighting roughly twice a year even with the then shallow 145 division.

Karnak- 2 years in the UFC, the 135 women were always going to be a minority within an already niche arena of popular sport, which for me makes the idea of their switch to Zuffa as one which only benefited Ronda and the UFC, frankly silly. Only using the crabs in a bucket mind set of the general MMA fan, would it feel right to point fingers at a increasingly popular mainstream individual, for potentially undermining the future of their sport lol.

Two years into the UFC and  yet the casual UFC fan probably couldnt name three women in the 135 div. Not pointing the finger at Ronda at all and at no point have I ever blamed her. I mean why should I blame someone who is taking advantage of opportunities presented to her? My issue which I have said many times is that the UFChave barely shown an interest in promoting WMMA as a whole in the UFC. Dana recently said that Cyborg vs Rousey will do 2 million PPV buys. I am  Cris Cyborg fan and I hope that will happen for her but on the flip side, comments like that from Dana must not sit well with the others in the 135div and Cris is more than 6-8 months(my opinion) away from that fight. Jessica Eye recently said (something along the lines of)   she is sick of hearing about Cris coming to 135 which is understandable because the company she is contracted to work under is literally showing no faith in her or what she can do. 

The thread below is reporting that Shayna was released today from the UFC

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/thread/2452027/Shayna-Baszler-Tim-Eliott-others-cut-from-UFC/?pc=31

Upon checking the UFC site, Shayna is stil listed as a UFC fighter and her profile is still intact. Interesting that Jessamyn was given another fight even though she is also 0-2 in the UFC. I hate to see anyone lose thier job but if this is true,  this could be a blessing in disguise for Shayna. I have said in other threads that in my opinion, she either needs to leave CA and go start fresh at another gym or change her attitude towards her career . I know she has done some guest appearances for minor league wrestling promotions so that is an opportunity for her as well. In my opinion I don't  think it is the end for Shayna in terms of her fight career. 

Sunkist1207 - 
luctaro - ^^Well, I really hope the fighters do something serious about the Reebok deal real quick, because otherwise their complains will become pure whining in my book.

Luctaro, 

I am not well versed in Employment/Contract  law but as Independent Contractors, do the fighters have much to stand on? As I mentioned earlier, those who have been outspoken should be granted a release if they feel they can make money elsewhere. 

Its not about whats legal its about whats right.

Forgive me for the extreme but its a bit like the civil rights movement. According to the law black people didnt have the right to demand fair treatment but the situation in America was wrong so people openly defied such laws and demanded change. There were many victims in that process, before change was achieved.

Similarly, if the measures the fighters take are illegal, there will be "casualties" before they can achieve their goals. But thats how change works. It doesnt come easy. It doesnt come for free.

Hey guys and gals, one of my best training partners and friends will be making a huge name for herself in WMMA within the next couple years imo. She's been fighting since she was 15 and is sitting at a 3-1 record fighting grown ass women at 17 years old. If you have a moment go give the page on a facebook Gillian "The Valkerie" Noll a view and maybe even a like if you're feeling generous :D much love for the UG and really hoping to see the likes on her page skyrocket with the support of the UG army behind her! Phone Post 3.0

Nicktheissue265 - Hey guys and gals, one of my best training partners and friends will be making a huge name for herself in WMMA within the next couple years imo. She's been fighting since she was 15 and is sitting at a 3-1 record fighting grown ass women at 17 years old. If you have a moment go give the page on a facebook Gillian "The Valkerie" Noll a view and maybe even a like if you're feeling generous :D much love for the UG and really hoping to see the likes on her page skyrocket with the support of the UG army behind her! Phone Post 3.0

Hello Nicktheissue265

If you dont mind, I will post the information below for those viewing to get to know Gillian better. Please ask her to stop by and say hello :)

Gillian "The Valkyrie" Noll  3-1 Amateur 135lb div

https://www.facebook.com/gillianvalkyrienoll/timeline?ref=page_internal

Local northwest MMA fighter. Having her first fight only at 15, she is a true young blood in the sport! 

luctaro - 
Sunkist1207 - 

<br />
    <p>
        <span class="User-305282" id="userPost53633621"><span class="User-356939" id="userPost53629122">Luctaro,&nbsp;</span></span></p>
    <p>
        <span class="User-305282" id="userPost53633621"><span class="User-356939" id="userPost53629122"><span style="line-height: 1.6em;">&nbsp;I am not well versed in Employment/Contract &nbsp;law but as Independent Contractors, do the fighters have much to stand on? As I mentioned earlier, those who have been outspoken should be granted a release if they feel they can make money elsewhere.&nbsp;</span></span></span></p>
</blockquote>
<br />
<span class="User-305282" id="userPost53633621">Its not about whats legal its about whats right.<br />
<br />
Forgive me for the extreme but its a bit like the civil rights movement. According to the law black people didnt have the right to demand fair treatment but the situation in America was wrong so people openly defied such laws and demanded change. There were many victims in that process, before change was achieved.<br />
<br />
Similarly, if the measures the fighters take are illegal, there will be &quot;casualties&quot; before they can achieve their goals. But thats how change works. It doesnt come easy. It doesnt come for free.</span></blockquote>

Luctaro, 

I understand you and I agree with you that with all due respect,  there appears to be a lack of moral compass directing some of the decisions that the UFC make but  as an independent contractor and not a salaried employee, what can the fighters can do about this without legal ramifications? Anybody well versed in Employment/Contract law please feel free to correct me. Matt Mitrione initally spoke out about his dislike for the Reebok deal on Twitter then a few days later he said that Dana called him and intiated a discussion on the matter and has not mentioned anything about it since(if he has please feel free to correct me). I say this respectfully, how many fighters who are at the top of the food chain will put their position in jeapody to support their peers who stand to lose financially with this sponsorship deal? As I mentioned, in my opinion, the fighters who know they can make mor money elsewhere should be granted a release to do just that.